Would you buy it? 1977 R100rs?

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by tearapin, Oct 29, 2012.

1. tearapin

tearapin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks
  2. caponerd

caponerd Kickstart Enthusiast

Oddometer:

If it's a safety issue, they will. They'll still replace pre-1982 snowflake wheels.
  3. pbarmy

pbarmy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Recall is still honored.
  4. Wirespokes

Wirespokes Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer:
    That's the first I've heard of that recall. And I've got three 77s - an S and two RSs. The trannys work just fine - and have no idea if they had been worked on before or not. Since the S has 140K on the clock, I'd imagine so!

The 77RS is one of the more desirable and collectable of the 70s airheads.

A few years back before the economy went tits up, the 77RSs commanded much higher price tags, but a lot of things are that way. They're starting to go back up from what I've seen, though some are going fairly cheap as well. I could have gotten a nice higher mileage example for $2500 a few months ago. But that was a real deal! And it had the original striped wheels.

To be worth the asking price, this bike should have the original pin striped wire wheels. They're scarce and worth more than the Lesters. Perfect Lesters can bring four to five hundred bucks. The pinstriped 77 wheels are more like $500 to $750.

The other thing to consider is the exhaust system. Some of the 77s had to conform to new smog regulations at that time - so the bikes sold in California, Florida and Oregon had to have 38mm exhaust systems, not the 40mm that the rest of the 77RSs had. To designate this fact, the letters CFO were stamped in front of the engine number by the dipstick. CFO bikes aren't as desirable as the 40mm.

As for rideability - no reason at all it couldn't cross the continent and back if it's in decent condition. I got one of mine in Virginia, flew out and rode it home. Ah, the good old days!
  5. Lomax

Lomax Nanu-Nanu Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Almost every airhead I have ever purchased needed about $2K in work. That one looks real clean but keep in mind if it has been sitting it may, may need a lot of seals and rubber replaced. Forks, shaft seals, brake seals, push rod seals, etc. type of things. Also if the tires are old, no matter how good of tread they have, they probably need replaced. It could be one you get on and go around the world on who knows. It is worth what you are willing to pay for it and what you are going to do with it. As an investment it it seems to be priced high, as a Rider if it is in good shape it could be about right. I have every bit of that amount invested in my 84 R100RS LE but am just a bit anal retentive about my bikes. :lol3

If it turns your crank get it, ya know they don't make them any more. :evil

Marc
  6. boxerboy81

boxerboy81 Stay Horizontal

Oddometer:
    They'll check your numbers and if the work has been done, you'll know.

If not, they'll fix it. There are many stories re: the wheel recall continuing to be honoured. A mate had his 81 RS front replaced here in Oz just a couple of years back.
  7. toslow

toslow Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been following this thread as I have a 77 rs and called the biggest dealer in Denver this morning and they said that the computers don't go back that far... any ideas?
  8. Solo Lobo

Solo Lobo airhead or nothing Supporter

Oddometer:
    They aren't working very hard for you at all. They aren't checking their records, but the compliance records of the bikes VIN number against the recall data.

BMW NA should have the records
  9. DoktorT

DoktorT BigBrowedNeandereer

Oddometer:
    BMW dealers vary greatly. Some are outstanding as Airheads sources and some could give a sheet about anything more than 10 years old. Your Denver dealer is lying about the Airhead data. All they need do is plug in the VIN and presto, hundreds of pages of parts.

In No. Cal. all Airheads rave about Ozzies in Chico. Airhead heaven for parts and knowledge.

Similar deep support from Ted Porter's Beemershop in the Bay Area.

Just two I know of that will flat fix you up with the right stuff.
  10. Airhead Wrangler

Airhead Wrangler Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    He's not looking for parts. It's a recall. He needs to see if his bike was inspected or repaired as part of the recall mentioned above. That info probably is NOT in the computer... anyone's computer. Anyone know if they marked the boxes in any way after inspection? A paint dot or a stamp in the case somewhere maybe?
  11. toslow

toslow Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here's another twist I then called San Jose BMW they told me my vin # didn't have enough didgets that it should be a 13 didget # located on the rail under the right carb well mine is a 7 didget # starting with 618 that is stamped into the rail up by the headstock and there is also the riveted plate with the same # and the mtr has the same # also but they say they can't look it up because they need a 13 didget # any ideas ?
  12. Wirespokes

Wirespokes Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer:
    The guy obviously isn't familiar with the pre - 1980s bikes! Before the 13 digit thing was mandated, they were all 7 digits - on the head tube or gusset, and the engine by the dipstick.
  13. kadesean

kadesean eyesuck Supporter

Oddometer:
    What is a 13 digit VIN? My pre 80's Beemers had 7 digits and post 80 have 17 digits.
  14. toslow

toslow Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Maybe he said 17 all I know it was alot more #'s than I had also I talked to BMW NA and they said they had no way of tracking what bikes were updated with a new tranny they said that recalls do not expire but it would be up to the dealer and them to decide weather to replace it they sounded like if it hasn't failed yet it's probably ok
  15. DoktorT

DoktorT BigBrowedNeandereer

Oddometer:
    Info is instantly available for all VIN's that have or have not yet had the recall front wheel. Expect same info on that tranny recall or any German factory or US DOT recall. All dealers can have that info if they want to just call it up on their system. If they don't want to, then they are just negligent or incompetant or LYING. Pick one.
  16. Airhead Wrangler

Airhead Wrangler Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    So, whenever BMW computerized things, probably in the mid 80's I'd guess, they went back and manually digitized all their paper records of which bikes received a recall fix in the 70s? How far back did they go? I find this tough to believe, but if anyone would do it, it would be the germans.
  17. Biebs

Biebs Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think you should "Buy this Bike" but always a butt - Don't pay $6200

:freaky:y0!:wave:wings
  18. tearapin

Oddometer:
    And you would pay?
  19. tearapin

Oddometer:
    I called two different dealers and BMW of North America. All said the Vin was invalid. I have 7 numbers. They all said vins usually start with a letter for 1977.

They all said they could not look up the tranny recall and give me a serial number range of affected r100rs's.
  20. tearapin

Oddometer:
    One dealer i called said this. As the bike has likely sat for may years you should expect to have to replace all the seals within 3000 miles. Trans seals, rear main, rear drive, etc. In summary he said this could cost several thousands of dollars. I am pretty handy with a wrench but he said that for many of the seals you need special tools.

I plead ignorance here but sounds like if I paid what he was asking I could be into the bike for $9000.

Truth or BS in your opinions? What would you offer or would you just walk away?