2013 RMAR Colorado Adventure Motorcycle 1000

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by Big_John, Aug 23, 2012.

1. Big_John

Big_John That'll be the day

Oddometer:

Once it warms up and some snow melts, we can do our pre-riding and the route will be set....
  2. kingofZroad

kingofZroad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In the meantime... We still need more snow! (Even though I have cabin fever)
  3. Big_John

Oddometer:

Yes we do need snow....a lot more. The last thing any of use wants is fire bans in the areas we love to ride, per what happened in northern NM in 2011 when they went to Stage 4.

In the mean time, we can dream of riding the high passes!!!!!
  4. kingofZroad

kingofZroad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am going to go broke if riding season doesn't hurry up and get here! I've been bored and unable to resist farkling my new Tiger 800 XC in anticipation of summer adventures. Even the KTM 450 got new rubber and drive train!
  5. Big_John

Oddometer:
  6. DirtRider....

DirtRider.... Wandering Turtle

Oddometer:
    August won't get here soon enough!! This is my first cam1k and I'm looking forward to the adventure. :clap
  7. SteveO

SteveO scratched and bruised, but not out Supporter

Oddometer:
    How much time do we have? I'm waiting for a tax return....since the wife isn't hardly working.....:whip
  8. Big_John

Oddometer:
    Steve, send me an email.....I want to take these types of discussions offline.

John@rmariders.org

Thanks,
  9. Big_John

Oddometer:
    Some late February eye candy.......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  10. Abrupt Edge

Abrupt Edge Long timer Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bought a new spring for the rear shock on my TE630 as it is set up for light loads right now. Looks like I'll need to go up .4 Kg to get it right. New rubber sitting next to the bike for a warm day to make mounting easier. A Power Commander V is getting installed and tuned this month as I have a new FMF can. Going to Death Valley this month to break in the new tire. Bring on the CAM 1K, my first too.
  11. Big_John

Oddometer:

Smart move to make. Stock enduros are designed for 175 rides and their gear.

I have a much heavier spring on the rear of my Honda XR.....and the front springs are the largest I could find, to support the 6.4 gallon Acerbis Desert Tank.

$250 of new springs are a great investment when converting your enduro or dual-sport to a burro packing, light adventure bike!!!
  12. SteveO

Oddometer:
    :deal payment has been made, I'm definitely "IN" and stoked about going on this trip. I've done solo camping trips around NM on the bike, and even raced 1k miles via Nevada - Colorado, but camping with a bunch of yahoos should be a real adventure!

Looking forward to this :clap
  13. Big_John

Oddometer:

The ridng and the phenomenal country is a real big deal, but the comraderie is the best.

14. DirtRider....

DirtRider.... Wandering Turtle

Oddometer:
    ! Is it August yet??? :ear
  15. Big_John

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

As all the Year #1 Riders heard.....over and over again from me......make sure your bike is ready to go. Go through your bike, as if you are about to run the Baja 1000.

Ironically, I had the only bike failure. On day #6, I began to have the steering on my XR650R freeze up.....and it happened over a couple of big passes. Once we got to Fairplay, 'Bama John help we dive into the steering stem. We knew my riding was over when bearing parts fell out on the ground.

When I told this story to a fellow Big Red Pig rider, he opened up his steering stem and his bearings were completely dry and "by feel" (as with my bike), the steering seemed perfectly ok.

This weekend the boys and I dove into our bikes, checking all the bearings. I also check the valve clearances (and they were very tight) and added a new spark plug. Then there was the oil and filter change...etc, etc...

This is my first bit of encouragement to dive into your bikes and make sure you don't have a very disappointing experience as I did. This is a good time of the year to go through your bike!!!!!

16. Big_John

Oddometer:
    Gang,

It is recommended that you bring a GPS with you on this ride. We suggest this of every on of our Point to Point riders.

I led the CAM1k group last year with an $89 Garmin ETrex Refurb...and it did ok....but a tiny screen. And I will use it again this year on my Honda.

But, I just ran across this one and ordered it from my 950. It a refurb, but 1 year warrantee and a great deal.

http://www.factoryoutletstore.com/details/33953/DAKOTA10.html?category_id=31216

17. jjmyzrider

jjmyzrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If I were to promise to run my 690 on map setting 1 (reduced power), would that qualify me to be running a bike smaller than a 650? Then I could ride with this group. I am interested in this ride, however I am not 100% commited to it yet.
  18. SteveO

Oddometer:

you mean something like this......

[​IMG]
  19. Mac

Mac Long timer

Oddometer:
    Since your 08 690 is actually a 654cc, and I rode mine on the CAM last year, a 690 will do just fine...
  20. Big_John

Oddometer:

Yep...and even a 950, in well experienced hands can do it as well.

Of course, those....."well-experienced hands"....were in the hands of a....solo Baja 1000 finisher!!!!!

Giddy up for those that are brave and want adventure!!!!!