Pine Barrens explorers? NJ rider looking for advice or ride buddies

Discussion in 'Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carp' started by the schwartz, Nov 20, 2012.

1. the schwartz

the schwartz Buckethead Wendy

Oddometer:
    I live in Northern NJ and just got my adv bike a few months ago. I'm itching to get it dirty and I think the Pine Barrens might be the best place for me to go.

Wondering if there are any particular routes that are either must sees or to be avoided. I also don't have a GPS (aside from my phone) and I'm not sure if that's problematic, or if I can just roll around in there and not worry too much about whether or not I'll find my way out when I want to leave.

Any advice is welcome. If anyone's heading there sometime soon and wants to give a tour that'd be great too!

Thanks,

Aaron
  2. skahuna

skahuna Adventurer

Oddometer:
    look up atsion ranger station or carranza monument on google maps ... both are good places to start from

there used to be advriders there almost every sunday morning, this year not so much

steve
  3. ADVwanaB

ADVwanaB BOLD NEW AVATAR

Oddometer:
    Several reasons for that but mainly because of the drought last summer.
    Same reason the PB300 was cancelled. Keep an eye open in the spring for folks posting rides.
  4. RebelYell

RebelYell Long timer

Oddometer:
    I usually just ride alone and not depend on anyone to ride with.
  5. JohnfromJersey

JohnfromJersey Like a New Man Supporter

Oddometer:
  6. Gundy

Gundy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would pick up a GPS....very easy to get turned around out there. You can buy a used Garmin C60sx for reasonable $$ here in the flea market. I like to just set mine on tracking and ride till I've had enough, then just follow the tracks home if I don't know exactly where I am. Also would suggest starting near the Atsion station.
  7. baldrick

baldrick Moto-Geezer

Oddometer:
    Right now it's hunting season. As I recall, Sunday Hunting is not permitted in New Jersey. If that's true, limit your riding to Sundays only, and stay out of the woods the rest of the week until hunting season is over.
    You won't make friends if you bust in on a hunter who's got a shot lined up and you and your bike spook his deer. And we ought to be friends with the hunting guys, because they can help us keep the politicians and greenies from closing the woods to off road riders for good.
  8. RebelYell

RebelYell Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thats when i ride Sunday.I dont think the hunters could give a royal rats ass if we were banned out of the forest.THe greenies know this ,that we are so divided against each other and play the divide and conquor card against all of us.
  9. sallydog

sallydog https://sallydog.smugmug.com/Pets/LD-Travel/

Oddometer:
    i use google maps on a smartphone. works well
  10. tigrebleau

tigrebleau Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What he said.
  11. tigrebleau

tigrebleau Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anybody know how much damage was done to the Pine Barrens forests by hurricane Sandy?
  12. skahuna

skahuna Adventurer

Oddometer:
    minimal or none
  13. JustRon

JustRon ex-broadwayron

Oddometer:
    I was at the Hammer Run (after Sandy), and it was drier than usual in the woods... really odd. I didn't notice any storm damage at all (again, odd).
  14. racermx66

racermx66 Suzuki

Oddometer:
    I was out four wheeling a week ago in Brenden Byrne and saw nothing that look like a hurricane came through there.
  15. gerrynj

gerrynj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was riding in Lebanon and Greenwood/Warren Grove - No sign that Sandy even came through. I stopped and talked to a Ranger and he confirmed that there was minimal/no damage from Sandy
    Gerry
  16. the schwartz

Oddometer:
    met up with another inmate for a ride around north jersey and discussed PB. i was advised not to poke my nose around there without at least a set of knobbies on my bike (DL650). Don't want to get eaten by the sand, so not sure when I'll make it down there at this point. maybe wait till end of hunting season and slightly warmer weather and make an exploratory jaunt down there just to see what it's like
  17. baldrick

baldrick Moto-Geezer

Oddometer:
    Knobbies are a really good idea. Even with knobbies you'll suffer in the sand if you haven't had much experience with it. On a DL650 I'd stay on the sand roads and avoid the smaller jeep trails.

The sand won't eat you - but the Jersey Devil might. He lives down there, and likes the taste of city folks. :D
  18. the schwartz

Oddometer:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

:cry
  19. NJGreg

NJGreg 8UP

Oddometer:
    As stated, knobbies are good. You may also consider trailering it in and parking at Atsion, which is the only place I would leave my vehicle alone for long periods. Those knobbies can wear quick on the hardball.

A gps would be suggested, but you can get by with using your smartphone. All the woods are basically surrounded by major roads.

Wear your gear, and be ready to fall and wipe out in the sugar sand. Have plenty of gas (I easily ran up 150 miles in an afternoon) and water for you,, it gets hot in there.