Help needed with KTM990 Adventure S

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Bosotter, Jun 9, 2013.

1. Bosotter

Bosotter n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi guys, firstly let me introduce myself. I am from South Africa and live in Pretoria and love adventure biking. I've been riding motorcycles since the tender age of seven and have owned various bikes during my riding career.

I hope there is someone out there that can help me with the problem I am facing on my 990. The following is not working but the bike runs mechanically fine. When the ignition is switched on the bike does not run through the diagnostics in other words the rev counter moves to the highest point on back to 0. No lights are working and the radiator fans as well as the hooter is also not working. I have checked all fuses and the or all in order. I am now scratching my head and a loss for words where to find the fault.

Please if anyone can help and point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate.:clap
  2. renogeorge

renogeorge Let's ride!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Possibly the ignition switch. I have read about problems with internal failures--sticking contacts? Someone posted with pictures recently. I will search for you. The master fuses at the battery box and the individual fuses under the seat are all good??
  3. renogeorge

renogeorge Let's ride!! Supporter

Oddometer:
  4. Bosotter

Bosotter n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi renogeorge, thanks for the response, much appreciated. I checked all fuses and they are all good.
  5. wiseblood

wiseblood This checks out Supporter

Oddometer:

Did you check the kill switch?
  6. Bosotter

Bosotter n00b

Oddometer:
    Yep checked and all in order.
  7. wiseblood

wiseblood This checks out Supporter

Oddometer:

Had to ask, because more than a couple times I've been caught scratching my head, while missing the obvious things.

That being said, sounds like one of the interlocks is not working. Check the wiring diagram (as someone else said) and make sure everything is set.

Also, check the battery voltage. Some bikes (not sure about the KTM) will refuse to start if the voltage is low.
  8. drued

drued Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Had similar problem on my 12 990. It turned out that a wire broke in the lower part of the ignition. Two wires go into the bottom of the ignition switch. They are soldered in place with about 1/2" of solder sticking straight up. One wire broke just above the stand up solder. It is tight to work on, but fixable.
  9. Bosotter

Bosotter n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks Drued, I think you're on the right track because I checked the ignition and all the contacts seem fine, but only have power to two. If I understand you correctly you mean the plug where the ignition wires plugged into behind the handlebars. This is a two wire plug and the ignition is a six wire plug.
  10. Bosotter

Bosotter n00b

Oddometer:
    Howzit guys, at last I found the problem. It took two months checking just about everything on the bike, and the culprit, dry joint in the light relay. Replaced it and all is good.

Tip for future electrical problems, check relays, earth and ignition before stripping the whole bike.:rofl

Thanks for all the help and responses.