Oklahoma City Metro Thread

Discussion in 'Tejas and the Gulf States' started by Dadayama, Apr 25, 2012.

1. OKDQ

OKDQ Long timer

Oddometer:
    New addition to my bucket list.

Have been in Arizona this week for work. Flew into Phoenix, rented a car and drove to Show Low, AZ. Coming back today down thru Salt River Cayon the views are spectacular! Definitely will return on the bike someday. Looks like lots of dual sport roads to explore too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  2. mrdirtbikerider

mrdirtbikerider Russ Martin

Oddometer:
    Looks like we have about six so far, going to Slap.
    I need to start looking for a good motorcycle friendly tent. My hunting tent is just to large to pack.
    Any ideas for a tent?
  3. mrdirtbikerider

Oddometer:
    Last year, I took a Jeep off road tour in Red River New Mexico. I put that on my bucket list for a motorcycle ride. Many mountain roads to explore. I found several really great spots to camp. There is a few old mines to check out also. Not to
    mention the trout fishing.
  4. Newner

Newner Buffering

Oddometer:
    I am driving my truck this year and hauling my dirt bike. I could possibly tow a trailer, or pack some of your stuff. I am in Norman every other weekend if you need to make a drop.
  5. mrdirtbikerider

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the offer Newner. I think I will be ok.
  6. reddirtjoe

reddirtjoe motorcycle addict

Oddometer:
    Let's Ride some red dirt!!.... NorthCentOklahoma
    In and paid for SLAP..........live about a hour north of OKC
    :clap
  7. Dadayama

Dadayama Constant Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just purchased a Big Agnes Seedhouse 1, my tent which i have had for 24 years and has been on all my rides is 7 pounds and some change... this new one is 2 pounds and 7 in change... big difference.. and it packs down smaller.

it is to arrive this monday... i'll let you know what i think when i have a chance to put it up....

i have been on some epic trips now and i'm thinking i want to be as light and minimal as possible while still having fun.

Like i said... i'll let you know what i really think when it comes....

Hey! When is our next get to together?
  8. Shawnee Bill

Shawnee Bill Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:

Looks good, packs small. For a bike that's more important than weight. I use a Big Agnes insulated air mattress, they make great stuff.

9. OKDQ

OKDQ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Before I started hanging out on ADV I knew nothing about tents, still don't know a lot. After reading several threads on here I first decided I needed a two person tent because those that seemed to know about those things said get a tent one person bigger than the number of people that would be sleeping in the tent to give yourself room to store your gear in the tent and still be able to get inside to sleep, that turned out to be good advice. It's also nice to have a little room to dress inside the tent and/or sit if you get stuck in the tent due to rain. After my research, I decided the Eureka Apex XT 2-person tent was the best balance between cost, size and quality. I have been very happy with the tent. I think I paid about $100 for mine aprox 4 years ago. It weighs 6 lb 5 oz and packs down to 24" x 5". Good luck with your search.
  10. OKDQ

OKDQ Long timer

Oddometer:
    OK, I'm officially in for slap now, too.
  11. OKDQ

OKDQ Long timer

Oddometer:
    I took my son on his first motorcycle trip to Red River. At that time he did not have a license of any kind so we had to stay off the roads and on trails only. Rode into town one day to eat lunch and got pulled over because his bike wasn't street legal (nor did he have a license). We had a good time on the entire trip and several mini-adventures, including using a rope to get our bikes down a small avalanche, then ending up on a trail that just ended in the middle of nowhere, but couldn't turn around to go back because of the avalanche. Finally spotted a road not too far away and we made our own trail to the road. Ol'dad was getting a little nervous until we made it back to the road. That was about 15 years ago and we still talk about that trip to this day. I'd like to go back to Red River one of these days and check it out again.
  12. mrdirtbikerider

Oddometer:
    I took the jeep down that dead end trial. I think it was called Mountain trail. Very nice trail. We went in winter, had to stop part way up trial because it was steep and covered in ice. Someday I will plan a trip back there on my bike and explore as many of those trails/roads as I can.
  13. Shawnee Bill

Oddometer:
    Excellent choice of tents!
    Got one at Bass Pro about 6 years ago, $100 after rebate. Among other trips it's been to Alaska and back, several rainy nights and it's never leaked. I pack the poles separate from the tent so it actually packs smaller that way.

I really need to take it on a dual sport ride to Red River if I could just find someone to ride with? :wink:

14. mrdirtbikerider

Oddometer:
    It's time for another Oklahoma Advriders Meet n Greet!

Everyone is welcome to come. Doesn't matter what you ride.
    It's always good to meet more local Advriders.
    This meet, we can go over upcoming rides/rally's.

Where:
    Fuzzy's Taco Shop
    Oklahoma City, Ok (Bricktown)
    208 Johnny Bench Dr, Suite C

When:
    Thursday Feb. 21st 6:00pm

There is parking in the back of Fuzzy's also
  15. Shawnee Bill

Oddometer:
    Google maps says that's in the Sonic building, is that right?

16. mrdirtbikerider

Oddometer:
    Yep, right next to Sonic.
  17. Farscape

Farscape I'm eat up with this shit, it's a disease...

Oddometer:
    I'm heading over with my KTM 520 exc-r on the back of my 4Runner and sleeping in the back (no tent needed this year).

I have a great 2-man Kelty tent that has served me well for many years of bicycle and motorcycle camping. I have never been let down by Eureka! tents either. I have a 4-man Eureka! that I use when car camping.

I'm getting really excited about SLAP since the venue has changed. This is gonna be great!! :clap It will change the dynamics for sure.
  18. OKDQ

OKDQ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, let's pick a date and see if we can't get a group of us to go. We could stop by and maybe camp at Black Mesa on the way too since there was some discussion about a ride to BM last year that never happened. I would think if we plan on camping we would want to make it an early summer trip, because IIRC, it still gets pretty cold at night in Red River even in the summer.

19. mars

mars Starbucks anyone?

Oddometer:
    God willing if some one doesn't shoot me by then I should be there.

john
  20. Free Radical

Free Radical High speed drifter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for putting this together. Looking forward to meeting some of youse guys!

Jim