Here I go again on my own-B1k

Discussion in 'Racing' started by frog, Jul 16, 2012.

1. Goofy Footer

Goofy Footer Long timer

Oddometer:
    "watch dust to glory in my moto gear" -- too cliche

from reading your threads, this is what I imagine a ride with you and Pilo to be like

<object height="480" width="853">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CVLFAyvsoSo?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="480" width="853"></object>
  2. Ratman

Ratman Lucky Rider

Oddometer:
    Ok, I bought 18 ozs of their SPI-3 magic oil on your recommendation, frog. I hope it helps reduce the stiction in my Street bike. Being the cheap bastid that I am, I'm not used to paying 20 bucks for a little over a pint of shock oil.

BTW, good luck with the Ironman 1000 effort.
  3. neduro

neduro Long timer

Oddometer:
    Take a good hard look at alignment, that's more often to blame than lubrication.
  4. pilo

pilo Rhymes with below

Oddometer:
    Lots of little things to finish up, but the bike is getting closer.

Yep a couple of nights ago Matt came over and we started the Mousse session by taking off an old Bstone Gritty with a Mousse inside. For those who have never done this, prepare for an experience like trying to open a beer bottle with a wet noodle. I was ready to cut the thing off with a disc grinder. After a bit we got all of the wheels ready to go.

[​IMG]

The bike is coming together and I'm feeling confident it is going to be solid for the Frogger.

[​IMG]

Dropped some sponsors on the rear fender.

[​IMG]

The weather has been so sickeningly nice here I was working with the door open and the tunes rolling. My neighbors love me on the grinder late at night. The mess is actually getting smaller! Engine break in soon...

[​IMG]

Oh and in that video am I the drugged out law breaker with the bad teeth or sexually ambiguous blond mullet monster?
  5. mknight

mknight Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is so cool! Reminds me a great deal of what we went through this summer preparing for the ISDE. For those that have never prepped for a huge event like Baja, ISDE, Dakar, etc., it's amazing how many of the little details there are to stress about.

Phil, you are truly a good man to jump in and help out Frog with all the bike prep. What a huge burden taken off him. You should have hollered when you were doing mousses.....I've got a 17 year old that "loves" to change mousse bibs now, go figure, and we've also got a pretty sweet changer that makes the process a whole lot less painful.

Frog....do you have any of those cool T-shirts for sale, or are they limited edition for crew while down there in Baja?

Keep up the great work and preparation. Can't wait to see this all play out. I'm a sucker for a good race story.
  6. Irish1

Irish1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is just hilarious: while Frog was cursing the mousse installation I was thinking your brave-hearted son should be there helping. :clap Great thread and I'd buy a T-Shirt as well since my geezer check arrived. :deal I'll keep following. Ride safe and ride fast!

7. frog

frog Long timer

Oddometer:
    My shirts should be here by the 7th and I have some extras. I'll send you and your son one.

Installing rear bib mouse for enduros is a little different then high speed desert. Front is the same and easy rear is a serious pain.

I was told by an ex dakar team manager to get the biggest size possible and stuff it in there otherwise they won't last. So you end up with a 140 bib in a 120 tire. :huh They are pretty stiff at the beginning but after a few miles they are really nice and after 500 they are pretty soft. We definetly wouldn't have turned down help and some pointers.:D
  8. Kanook

Kanook Adventure zymologist

Oddometer:
    Is your crew getting matching shirts? I hope so. We need to look the part.
    I wanted to get these for my crew for V2R, my wife could rock it but Fano refused to shave his belly:rofl

Attached Files:

9. frog

frog Long timer

Oddometer:
    If my crew looks like that I'll spring for shirts, bikinis whatever they want.:D
  10. neduro

neduro Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Euro-style changers make Desert mousses not too bad.

About the scariest part of Dakar for me was putting on Desert mousses before leaving, with tire irons flying across the room and sticking in the wall. Enduro bibs, no problem, do them in 5 minutes and never break a sweat. Desert bibs, jeebus, they are scary.
  11. acesandeights

acesandeights Noob

Oddometer:
    I'm an overweight 40-something white dude, but if you spring for the thongs I'll ride along! Need an overweight, dull minded dude as part of your chase team...let me know :D
  12. wrk2surf

wrk2surf on the gas or brakes

Oddometer:
    THE exact center of California/Bass lake/Yosemite
    maybe this will help.. thinking of gettin me one of these or like Ned said one of the euro style bead breaker type..

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/d_cKs2WyQ8c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  13. Goofy Footer

Goofy Footer Long timer

Oddometer:
    What the heck kind of jibberish is he saying?

Ha, I will say that's a trick set up and he made that look EASY!
  14. Goofy Footer

Goofy Footer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Its a coin flip really but if had to pick, I'd say you're more the sexually ambiguous blond mullet monster opposed to Frog's drugged out law breaker with the bad teeth!
    (btw am I the only one who noticed the mullet guy wasn't wearing his shades Until he got into the tunnel? - great editing Hollywood D class)

Btw the bike is looking good! :0-0

Any deets on the build? Stock size rotors? Stainless Steel brake lines? What tires are you running? Motor mods? Stabilizer?
  15. craigincali

craigincali I'll try it.

Oddometer:
    Good luck Frog. Kick ass, and have fun. You may have posted it already but what is your number??
  16. frog

frog Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Its 257x.
  17. neduro

neduro Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was 257x a few years ago, can't remember if it was the 500 solo or the 1000 on a team. Either way, we finished!
  18. frog

frog Long timer

Oddometer:
    Funny. The engine is out of the bike I bought from you years ago, with a few new parts.:lol3 Hopefully when I fall asleep it knows the way. :evil
  19. Goofy Footer

Goofy Footer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Head South. :pynd

I miiiight be chasing for 259x - the Fat Old Guys team if my schedule permits it at the last moment. If so, I'll keep my eyes posted for 257x. I can't cook for a damn so no promises on fresh food at my pit (if I make it down -:pope hopefully!!!) but I'll gladly hand you a Snickers bar and a Playboy!
  20. pilo

pilo Rhymes with below

Oddometer:
    Bike is finished. Matt can get on this and ride to the finish with a tire swap and adding his double 8's.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Goofy, here are some stats on the bike since I'm already typing:

KTM 525
    MX gearing 1-4, EXC gearing 5,6
    14/48 gearing
    All new bearings
    Smart Shock/Fork oil
    New Cylinder sleeve/Piston (Lindsey Machine did the engine work)
    BD Stator
    Dunlop MX71 Front
    Dunlop 739 Rear
    Bib Mousse F/R
    Galfer ss brake lines
    BD Tecate for the daytime (in case he gets caught out at night)
    LED Taillight for visibility
    HDB Handguards and Computer mount
    Trailtech Striker for Avg Spd+engine temp
    Bolts loctited and painted
    MSR Skidplate
    LocalHero MX Graphics (Local UT guy. I use him for all of my stuff)
    All rotors are stock size.

Go Matt...wish I was there with you.