Grampa's National Monument Ride

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Oldone, Dec 14, 2010.

1. rahza

rahza Adventurer

Oddometer:
    hi. nice RR especially on National Park. thanks for the great picture. at least i could see different angle on the superstition mountain. alway see it in the movie. keep it up. thanks
  2. Oldone

Oldone One day at a time!

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your nice comments.....seems like this comes from a long ways away? That's great.... Here's another photo of the Superstitions that I just took today, so that I could get the Saguaro in it..... Thanks again...... :wave

[​IMG]

3. Oldone

Oddometer:
    I was wondering how this one would turn out as I took it through my windshield, traveling down the road at about 50 m.p.h. or so coming back into the Usery Park area. Not too bad, considering? The last two were from my new "Christmas camera". It's not a fancy one but I'm hoping it's taking better photos? Maybe a little?? Hmm? Not sure??

[​IMG]
  4. Oldone

Oddometer:
    I keep coming back to the Superstition Mountain range! I love riding within viewing distance of this range, that extends for many miles. It's amazing just how often the views change. There's always something different about the scene, especially with cloud cover! Lots of hiking trails and horse trails are at the base of them too. The shining star is a popular hiking destination called "Flatiron" where both my wife and I have been before. It's a looong way up there!
    :knary

[​IMG]

5. Oldone

Oddometer:
    As the photo shows, the Saguaro cactus can have many, many shapes and sizes. The average life span is said to be 200 years, with some reaching well over 200 years old. They only grow in the Sonoran Desert.

[​IMG]

Trees and Plants of the Desert .... Jumping Cholla....won't actually "jump" at you but the little prickly balls will stick to you with all it's might. "Saguaro" (center) can store hundreds of pounds of water during the rainy season, and the state tree, the "Palo Verde", which has two different species. The Blue and the Yellow plus several other names.

[​IMG]
  6. Oldone

Oddometer:
    Saguaro Lake is fed from Canyon Lake, which comes from Apache Lake and begins in Roosevelt Lake. A good share of the valley's water supply comes from these lakes. :1drink

[​IMG]
  7. Oldone

Oddometer:
    The root systems on these are so shallow that it's amazing that more don't blow over. The Saguaro's blossoms in the spring/summer are Arizona's state flower. (These bloom in white bunches on the tips of the arms.)

[​IMG]
  8. Oldone

Oddometer:
    There's nothing like getting up into the higher country at the right time of the year! Ponderosa pines are my favorite high country trees.

[​IMG]

9. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Lovin' the sunny pics and the new frames :thumb
  10. Oldone

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that.....I appreciate it and keep trying to learn how to do better. It's been quite a learning process but your help is the main reason that anything worked out at all. So thanks again for everything!

Gary
  11. mistercindy

mistercindy In a state of equilibrium

Oddometer:
    North Dallas 'burb in a box made of ticky tacky.
    Wonderful thread! Love the PC, too.
  12. Oldone

Oddometer:

Thanks for your comments....Just when I think this was sort of silly, another nice one comes in! Thanks again.... Gary
  13. Oldone

Oddometer:
    If any of you have a chance to ride on this nice, quiet road, be sure to do so. (Lake Mary Road south of Flagstaff.)

[​IMG]

<small>
    </small>
  14. Questor

Questor More Undestructable

Oddometer:
    Nice Ride Report Grampa! :deal

Very cool places you visited.

Q~
  15. Oldone

Oddometer:
    Questar,

Thanks for your comments but I'm afraid my efforts were quite puny in comparison! I just read your National Parks RR and boy what a great trip that was. If only I would've been smart years ago and done something like that! Too late now, but riding along with your RR really helps. Now, I'm on to the rest of your RR's. Thanks for sending those.

Gary
  16. Oldone

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure where this one was taken at but I might as well add it in here as long as I'm at it. Maybe it'll come to me later? :jjen Hmmmm? It might've been north of Payson up along the rim.

[​IMG]
  17. GldWngr89

GldWngr89 n00b

Oddometer:
    Your ride report and beautiful pictures have really encouraged someone here in the snowy and cold northeast. I have visited Sedona and the surrounding area several times. My riding buddy and I have put Oak Creek on our list of must do rides. There is nothing for you to apologize for -- the pictures and descriptions are fantastic!

Thanks from the pick-me-up! :clap

GldWngr89
    Also a Grandpa!
  18. Mil T

Mil T Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I live in Payson. This pic looks like the 260 east of Payson going up towards Heber. Your report is well done and thanks for showing our beautiful area. Although not that known, once you come through the Rim Country it will always be ingrained on your memory. Great riding up here.

Mil T
  19. Oldone

Oddometer:
    GldWngr89,

Thanks for the great comments on a day when it really made a big difference to me! Be sure to plan for the Oak Creek Canyon as you won't be disappointed. It's a beautiful area and great fun to ride. We had freeze warnings out last night so even had to cover our pipes. Kind of unusual for these parts. Thanks again.

Gary
  20. Oldone

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the comments and info on the photo. I sort of figured that must be where that was taken as my favorite longer ride is from Mesa to Payson and then over to Show Low and back through the Salt River Canyon. It's about a 300 mile loop and great fun with scenic views galore! Thanks again.

Gary