Waffle House run from San Diego to Phoenix

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by steve_k, Nov 21, 2012.

1. steve_k

steve_k Long timer

Oddometer:
    You shouldn’t be too impressed Warren, you would have done that as a day trip!

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
  2. Warren

Warren Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ummmm... True! :evil
  3. bbjumper

bbjumper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I live in Scottsdale and need to feed my W/H waffle addiction at least once a month. I was looking at your route, I ride either my BMW R1100RT or my classic 82 Suzuki GS850G on that route a minimum of three times a year. My oldest son lives in LaMesa and my Mom still lives ion ElCajon.

Last time I did that was over Thanksgiving only this time I did it a little differently, left the Phoenix area out to Wickenberg, Parker, Joshua Tree National Park, Palm Desert, Warner Springs, Ramona and on in. On the way back through Jacumba and as much of the old 80 as possible then through Brawley, Glamis and back to the Casa. Ended up right at 1000 mi. and a great change up.

Cheers
  4. F800ekelley

F800ekelley Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have never been to this famous WH........(pause for gasp) am i missing something. Next time i go outt in jan. I will be going here good rroute options BBJUMPER.
  5. bbjumper

Oddometer:
    No prob, always a good place to start your ride at 0 dark thirty in the am. Get tanked up on carbs and coffee before you hit the long road.:D
  6. Starbuck21

Starbuck21 Manly scooterist!

Oddometer:
    I would suggest the Carefree Highway (74) to US 60 through Wickenburg and on to I-10. Then I-10 will take you most of the way to your destination. Try and schedule your ride to avoid rush-hours on Interstate 10 or search for an alternate route...
  7. MelonMan

MelonMan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Food runs are a great excuse for a little adventure!:clap
  8. steveWFL

steveWFL Long timer

Oddometer:
    This thread delivers [​IMG]
  9. blacktruck

blacktruck Shiftless

Oddometer:
    Not quite Arkansas but I can see it from here.
    Hell yea.......I'd do a run like that just to find the right meal. I've heard plenty of other reasons for a ride that didn't come anywhere close to being as good as this one. As a connoisseur of fine epicurean delights such as would be found at a Waffle House, a few hundred miles and some gas and a little time, seems a fair tradeoff to me.
    Keep riding and eating and enjoying. All seems right to me.
  10. bbjumper

Oddometer:
    I found another great spot here in Phoenix, best on the weekend because it's in downtown but "Mats Big Breakfast" is one travelers should check out when your lookin to refuel the body at o-dark-thirty.

http://www.mattsbigbreakfast.com/

Cheers
  11. gogogordy

gogogordy Long timer

Oddometer:
    and one more Waffle House please in So-Cal.

Enjoyed my first Waffle House in St. Robert Mo. this past summer.
    Im hooked.
  12. blacktruck

blacktruck Shiftless

Oddometer:
    Not quite Arkansas but I can see it from here.
    Yea you need to go to one. Almost cult like following for those that have partaken of it. It's a lot of fried foods and good coffee and none of them are great places to eat but they are all pretty good and inexpensive. Probably wouldn't take a date to one for dinner if you're hoping to score some points......however I wouldn't hesitate to stop for some riding food if I'm anywhere close. And they are open all night. Seems pretty good to me.
  13. ccrider72

ccrider72 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great excuse for a ride!
  14. steve_k

steve_k Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hope to do this ride again in a couple of months!
  15. F800ekelley

F800ekelley Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Matts is good in the valley there are many amazing breakfast places check out. US EGG thats one of my favs. Or up north TOMS THUMB has my fav pig a grits. Its grits with smoked pulled pork over it just amazing
  16. azredline

azredline Wobbly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    An earlier post mentioned Tommy's in SoCal. Mmmmm. I'd gladly trade you guys one of our Waffle Houses for a Tommy's.
    Chili fries are the bomb when prepping for an upcoming hangover...

Had a celebrity sighting at a Waffle House in Phx area about 15 yrs ago. Went in late night (2am ish), only one other customer in there, sitting at the counter. We sat a few seats down and when I heard him talk I knew...looked over and it was Mike Tyson, pre-facial tatoo days. The waitress said he came in all the time!

By the way, nice RR!
  17. bbjumper

Oddometer:
    Ran into him at the AJ's Market on SDL Rd. one morning around 0600 when I was on my way to work. I expected him to be taller.

Doing the WH run in reverse first weekend in March, MiloBramble and I are headed out to the San Diego area that weekend to hang out with my oldest Son and friends for the weekend. Always looking for the good "Local Spots" so tell me more about the Tommy's thing.
  18. bbjumper

Oddometer:
    U.S. Egg on SDL Rd. is one we frequent, at least twice a month, I'll have to give Toms Thumb a try though.
  19. steve_k

steve_k Long timer

Oddometer:
    Some breakfast places to try in San Diego.... I'm sure your family and friends and also make some suggestions as well.

Be sure to post your ride info!

Perry's: http://www.mrbreakfast.com/r_display.asp?restid=208
    Hamburger Factory: http://hamburgerfactory.com/
    101 Cafe:http://www.101cafe.net/cafe/cafe.htm
    Pablito's: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura...of_The_Desert-Borrego_Springs_California.html

20. bbjumper

Oddometer:
    Thanks Steve,

The 101 Cafe and Pablito's are two that I will check out. Justin, my Son has only been out there since last year, he graduated from NAU in June and has been busy with his new job and GF. Doesn't leave allot of time, but he does have an uncanny ability to source micro-brews and margaritas.

MiloBramble aka Mark is the historian, he likes to take pictures and video and will be responsible for the evidence for the most part. Me, I like to ride, find the road less traveled and generally make obscene gestures at the camera.

Thanks for the heads up, and evidence to follow.