The XR400 Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Hayduke, Jan 16, 2008.

1. ID XR600

ID XR600 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks I did not know this.
  2. sbanks

sbanks Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just found this on my frame, pretty bummed. I thought this was in better shape, should've looked closer before I bought it. Is it repairable?

[​IMG]
  3. G600

G600 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It is repairable, don't be to bummed. XR4 frames are made of mild steel, easy to weld.

XR4 frame rust in not uncommon, do a search.
  4. DrLewall

DrLewall ADV Has gone to SHIT

Oddometer:
    [​IMG] easy fix...
  5. sbanks

sbanks Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Haha I've seen, what's the best method? Cut and add tubing or just cut half tubing and add over the bad spot?
  6. oldenuf

oldenuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Went to look at a 1999 XR400, to buy. Looked good, but went to kick it through and seemed to be down on compression. I could easily push it through with my hand. Started OK, and idled, did not smoke, and had good power. Thought the compression release might be over adjusted and the owner didn't have any wrenches. Hard to imagine that.

Any thoughts on this or pretty normal? As I recall my XR250R did not kick as easy as this.

Art
  7. GaMtnRider

GaMtnRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Could definitely not turn over my '96 400 by hand, but the compression release is disabled.
  8. G600

G600 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Perfectly normal. Super easy bikes to start.
  9. G600

G600 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm no great frame repair expert but I would check the frame material a little up and if OK do the half tubing thing. The frame tubes rust because of the lack of drain holes. Water will sit at the lowest point making the tubing rust at the bottom, from the inside out. The most common place for rust damage (from what I have seen, but remember I am no expert on this) is maybe 10-15 cm away from the spot in your pic.

Basically a good welder/fabricator can decide what is best to do.
  10. fasthands

fasthands Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ATV Galaxy have #16 needles but not 17 I got one from their ebay store about a month ago, I'm running an Edelbrock pumper on a XR250R and with all the usual de-restriction mods I am finding the #16 needle spot on.
    Hope this helps..
  11. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    If anyone is looking for a nice XR400, I'm selling mine. Recently updated and freshened up plus it's tagged :D

here's the listing.
  12. krebsatm02

krebsatm02 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I ransacked our house and found my other needles, the 13e and 17e that originally came with the carb. I guess I can't blame my wife anymore as they were in one of those "special" places I don't lose things... Thanks for the suggestion, I actually bought the carb from that ebay seller many years ago.

I'll change out the needle tomorrow night.
  13. Ed@Ford

Ed@Ford Long timer

Oddometer:
    Fine ride, fine ride....too damn far away! Best of luck on the sale
  14. xr400r

xr400r Long timer

Oddometer:
    i have a 2002 xr400 for sale that I would deliver to michigan if interested. all stock and a ton of parts to go with it. 3 pistions, hrc cam, high output stator, 4.0 gallon IMS tank, new side panels in package, new rear mx fender in package, all stock plastics, stock tank, new front and rear rotors, new front and rear sprockets, spare chain guide, spare clutch and throttle cables...

I am the original owner and have owned the bike since new bought in may/june of 2003, always well maintained, no smoke, always clean oil and filters, engine has never been apart, never needed it. Runs like new.

I will ship this bike and send photos to anyone with serious interest. Bike is located in NW PA.
  15. DrLewall

Oddometer:
    hey guys..any of you have a muffler end/spark arrestor laying around you want to get rid of? It does not need to be perfect and don't really need the spark arrestor..just need the chrome outside cover, like the one pictured here.

[​IMG]
  16. XR4EVER

XR4EVER 919 excuses to ride!

Oddometer:
  17. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    Thanks, looks like it sold already.
  18. DrLewall

Oddometer:
    my younger brother lives there but he's in africa right now and not bloody likely he'd make it home in time to get it before it sells...:cry
  19. XR4EVER

XR4EVER 919 excuses to ride!

Oddometer:
    It's either not going anywhere or is already sold.... It's been posted since 1-24-13 and the phone # is missing a digit. I emailed him, we'll see if I hear anything back.
  20. DrLewall

Oddometer:
    the digit that is missing is a 5 as it is a 502 area code..that is what I suspect..wish he had posed a pic tho