Overgrown Offroad Zombie

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by larryboy, Sep 18, 2011.

1. larryboy

larryboy Just obey!

Oddometer:
    Preparing for gravity.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I noticed that others who have gone back to carbs have come up with an adapter tube to hook the carbs to the stock flange, but I found that Sudco has a ton of different flanges. I think they'll have what I need, I'll have to call them tomorrow.
  2. HardWorkingDog

HardWorkingDog Super Ordinary

Oddometer:
    /out of lurk mode

for those of us less bmw-inclined, what that heck is that piece of metal for? hopefully not too stoopid of a question :dunno

/back to lurk mode
  3. larryboy

larryboy Just obey!

Oddometer:

Fuel pump block off plate. I bet I gain two usable gallons of fuel when the petcocks get welded in.
  4. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:

I don't know about two, but certainly more than half a gallon!

Jim :brow
  5. larryboy

larryboy Just obey!

Oddometer:

No, trying to pull off a stand alone ignition system. Ordered a coil last week and the ignition box today, hope it comes together quickly...tick tock. I'm hanging onto the harness, Motronic and coil pack until I'm sure this other direction will work.

Yeah, I was thinking that just the fuel pump space would get me a little over half a gallon. I don't know BMW's, but it looks like it holds quite a bit of fuel on the side the pump can't get to? Will these bikes normally drain a tank down to nothing? I'm going to put a petcock on either side once I figure out the exact low points.
  6. LukasM

LukasM Long timer

Oddometer:
    On a RTW ride - currently touring the U.S.
    Nice build!

You might want to change those springs if you haven't installed them yet. The SE uses .59 fork springs stock, which should be about right for your bike (maybe get some .60s). .48 or .50 is what the 640 Adventure guys run, and you have got an extra 100 lbs on them.
  7. larryboy

larryboy Just obey!

Oddometer:

Thanks for stopping by with some info, all my web searching had me coming up with .48 on the SE? I'm going to go ahead and install the .49's I have and if it's too soft it's not a big deal, I'll just swap the tubes to another bike I have that needs upgraded springs too, then I'll put stiffer springs in that set of forks to put on this bike.

I'm not trying to build a Super Enduro or HP2 here, just after a nice riding two-up bike that is lighter and easier to handle.

Edit: Just sent SuperPlush an email, I really don't have time to do two sets of forks right now, thanks for the wake-up call, Lukas!!! :lol3
  8. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    You can usually get about 2/10 of a gallong by tilting the bike over to the left when empty. You can probably recognize another 2-3/10 with the petcocks at the lowest position on the tank lobe.

Jim :brow
  9. larryboy

larryboy Just obey!

Oddometer:

Hmm, so I'm still in the ballpark as far as I can tell. Looks like they say it's a 5.8 gallon tank and if a feller was to take care of his fuel pump and keep it submersed you only get to use 3.8 or so based on the way my fill ups were going before I tore it apart.

Shooting for all 5.8 usable and carrying my 1.5 spare can for those few times I need the extra range...Wyoming on the Divide.
  10. slackmeyer

slackmeyer Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer:
    The 950 Adventure is the bike that came with the .48s, the SE had the .59 like Lukas said. Most people put stiffer springs in the 950A forks. But what takes so long about replacing fork springs?
  11. bk brkr baker

bk brkr baker Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Knight roller for YZ490 in VFT classifieds .

Just trying to help.
  12. larryboy

larryboy Just obey!

Oddometer:

So maybe I'm not crazy, there is a big kTM that uses close to the spring rate that I picked out. I'll stick to that for now.

You build a lot of bikes there, "slack"meyer? :lol3 It takes me about 3 hours to pull a set of forks, clean the sludge out of them, put springs in and bolt them back up. I've got about 200 hours of work to do on this thing before the end of October, seriously don't have an extra 3 hours to spare on a second fork build. I can only hold out in the heat until about noon over here, we might get a break in the weather next week and I can spend more time outside.

I've got an RZ350 engine that would be perfect for that single down tube frame, send it right over. :wink:
  13. slackmeyer

slackmeyer Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer:
    Didn't think you were going through the whole rigamarole of cleaning everything up, too. . . .You could just swap springs much faster if that was all.

I'm trying to learn me something about revalving forks, so yeah, I'm getting pretty handy at taking the things apart and putting them back together. Then again, I'm leaving most of the rest of the bike as is. . . . . Good luck with the build. I hope to see it at some point.
  14. larryboy

larryboy Just obey!

Oddometer:

Yeah, that's the thing. If I need to swap springs I'll yank these forks and grab my other set...starts the whole thing over. I'll just do my shakedowns with the .49's and if it's super horrible I'll be forced to change.

We might have a mini-techday at the end of October if everything works out and you're more than welcome to come on over to Elk Grove...I might put you to work though. :lol3
  15. larryboy

larryboy Just obey!

Oddometer:
    I'll try to do an update on Sunday with some fresh pics. I've been spending a ton of time boxing up parts and sending them out, not to mention research and design for the project.

Tons of parts are inbound and some real progress will take place over the next week.
  16. Poolside

Poolside Syndicated

Oddometer:
    Techday. HA! Don't you believe it. It's a painting party.

<BR>
  17. larryboy

larryboy Just obey!

Oddometer:

Some people consider KLR balancer levers "tech", be nice. :ddog

Actually I'm working with eatpasta on the stock GS front end parts, he's trying to get what he's owed after being run down by a lawnmower so he can fix his bent up GS. He'll ride up and we'll swap the front end out real quick...what do you BMW people call those kind of things?
  18. larryboy

larryboy Just obey!

Oddometer:
    Ok, talking out loud here...

Things inbound for the project;

HDB stuff, handguards and switches.

Got the mirrors from neduro the other day...ultra quick shipping.

Coil is here, ignition box is on the way.

Just ordered relays with harness from Summit, going to scratch build a harness with inline fuses.

I think I have some fresh grips around here.

BuellMW headlights with HID conversion on the way.

LED blinkers on the way, I have an LED flasher already.

New rear rotor and pads on the way.

Carbs and manifolds have shipped. Manifold part number: M-VM40-200K

Exhaust gasket material has been ordered, Supertrapp custom end has arrived, need to get some exhaust bends and steel to build muffler.

Things still needed;

Parts to rebuild the final drive.

Battery, lightweight. Considering this one: http://shop.testsycl.com/1-BALLISTIC-12-CELL-MOTORCYCLE-BATTERY-12-Cell-EVO-2.htm

Passenger pegs, thinking of welding some mounts on for Pivot Pegs, Mrs. LarryBoy needs to be able to vary foot position.

Gonna fire up the white board in the shop for tasks, works good for a sense of finishing something.
  19. Solo Lobo

Solo Lobo airhead or nothing Supporter

Oddometer:
  20. larryboy

larryboy Just obey!

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I had 'pipes bike as my background on the computer as I decided to go ahead and do this build.

:thumb