It's mouse season

Discussion in 'Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carp' started by viverrid, Oct 10, 2012.

1. Matchbox

Matchbox Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a sacrifical rock out back where I leave them,
    for who ever is hungry. :D
  2. viverrid

viverrid not dead yet

Oddometer:
    I agree with you that the stuff for RV plumbing (also used for seasonal houses) is supposed to be non-toxic. But when people just say "anti freeze" without further description, it isn't clear what is being referred to. I don't happen to have any RV plumbing anti-freeze, I'd have to go get some. But we do have rock salt already.

BTW, used the salt trick once while staying "down south" with relatives. They had an unusual cold snap and their washer drain, which went into the slab at the perimeter of the house, turned out to be frozen. (Found out when we tried to do a wash!). So while everyone was running around saying stuff like "get a hair dryer" and "poke it with something!", I got a canister of Morton's out of the kitchen cabinet and poured it down the tube.

While that was working, I relocated the washer discharge hose into a big plastic trash can and finished the wash. (We dumped that water outside.) In the mean time the table salt (not like that had a bag of rock salt there) did its thing and we were then able to run more wash just keeping the drain flowing with warm water at intervals.
  3. viverrid

viverrid not dead yet

Oddometer:
    Sky burial!
  4. Hurricane Bob

Hurricane Bob Long timer

Oddometer:
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/6dRSsnbvfVY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  5. V8

V8 .

Oddometer:
    update, every last bit of peanut butter was gone, no dead mice, big deer hanging around the mailbox when I got there tonight.:deal

6. Matchbox

Matchbox Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Time to make a bigger Bucket. :lol3 Venison w/ peanut butter sauce? :D
  7. V8

V8 .

Oddometer:
    :lol3
  8. viverrid

viverrid not dead yet

Oddometer:
  9. AndyCap

AndyCap Mineral Oil Anyone?

Oddometer:

+1 ROFL

I wondered how well that can would fair outside. Every cat, dog, deer, bear, moose in a 10 miles radius was headed to your house. Cut a hole in the bucket about 6 inches from the top, and suspend the can just below that, and put the ramp to that hole. Then put the lid on it. So it is enclosed.
  10. Squanto!

Squanto! Master of Silent Death Supporter

Oddometer:
    The classic snap trap baited with Peanut Butter seems to be the most effective. Effective does not mean they will solve the problem. My GFs property (house and an garage/barn) had a serious problem and only poisoning the little bastards proved to have lasting results. I used the D-Con wedge baits and they worked very well. You do have to check them frequently and replace them when the contents is consumed. It takes a few weeks to get ahead of them but it seems that once I did they were gone for the season. Now is the time to start getting after them as the cold brings them inside. A good rule of thumb to follow is if you see 1 you more than likely have 10. If you delay killing them they will double in number every month.
  11. Hobbomock

Hobbomock I's wide open Supporter

Oddometer:
    why don't you pick on somebody your own size?

[​IMG]
  12. Robert OK

Robert OK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    But if you poison them don't they go off and die inside some wall or obscure place to stink up your house?
  13. MeRide

MeRide Me like bikes!

Oddometer:
    No. If the poison bait stations are outside of your home you will find them feet from the stations......outside. They don't go inside. Common misconception. There are far more that go inside when using traps. One person can't ever get ahead of a mouse situation using traps. This is simple math after looking at their reproduction cycles. One female time how many litters of how many offspring per year = LOTS. :deal Enjoy yourselves. :lol3
  14. Squanto!

Squanto! Master of Silent Death Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not in my experience with the modern bait traps. In theory they go in search of water outside of the baited area and die there.
  15. EMTNEK

EMTNEK Crash Test Dummy Supporter

Oddometer:
    My '68 Mustang got a lot of them in the years it was stored in a garage. Nasty. I put bait out, but not often enough. Like the buckets with the small bags of poison I get at Tractor Supply. When I was getting ready to put the car back on the road I went through a a bucket and a half before the absorption rate declined. Only found a few carcasses in the garage and car. They find elsewhere to go die. I used a few bags to thin the chipmunk herd around the house as well. I left the tupperware type bucket on my porch sealed up and something overnight, I am guessing a skunk, chewed into it to get the goods. It was impressive. A racoon would have gotten it all. The mice did not do the car any good but I needed new carpet anyway. The bike, is a different thing altogether. Mothballs and bait.
  16. Tosh Togo

Tosh Togo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anything that's covered with fur or feathers that thinks of small rodents as dinner, or toys. :1drink

Especially if it pisses off a well-known wanking douchebaggy twatwaffling mob called PETA.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  17. NHBill

NHBill Loosely Wrapped

Oddometer:
    PETA...

An organization with the opportunity to do so much good but instead they are so out of touch and so extreme, that all they do is piss people off or just make them laugh. Just a bunch of :csm...
  18. Cromoth

Cromoth fan of the magic carpet ride

Oddometer:
    so far got 6 & 1 dumb enuf to fall on the hot water heater. Looked like a pygmy when I found it. :lol3 Does that mean I've got 63 to go?
    Snap traps with peanut butter or without. Wish I could get some live & make friends with the hawks in the backyard. Great vid BTW!
  19. viverrid

viverrid not dead yet

Oddometer:
    I have not spotted any for quite a while. Now I probably jinxed myself.
  20. Drewha

Drewha Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So I'm getting ready to tuck the Ducati away for the winter and decide to check the airbox, which I last did a couple weeks ago. DOH! I hate meeces to pieces!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]