I want I want I want - new(er) bike advice

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Mark_S, Mar 2, 2013.

1. bikemoto

bikemoto Tyre critic

Oddometer:
    I reckon the reason for the lack of decent adventure bikes is that it is a niche market, so the GFC has put an end to any real focus from the manufacturers. That, and the fact that adventurers are supreme tight-arses means they struggle to pay for an off-the-shelf bike - look at the price and sales volume differences between the 640 Enduro and Adventure.

Some of the bikes are getting pretty flimsy, too. A mate showed me a crashed Versys he was getting back on the road, it was made of cheese. Nothing metal had any strength to it: forks, brackets, fasteners, the lot. Swing on a (rusty, naturally) bolt with any enthusiasm and it will either strip (head or either thread), or bend anything the other end of the spanner accidentally hits. It was ridiculous.

Smooth, exciting, cheap: pick any two! The 640 is exciting and cheap (-ish, due to age). The 690 is smooth and exciting. The KLR is smooth and cheap.
  2. bikemoto

bikemoto Tyre critic

Oddometer:
    WTF? $68,000 USD for a fancy KLE? WTF? :huh
  3. bart-nz

bart-nz Long timer

Oddometer:
    Back in the old days, a dual purpose/adventure bike was an oversized dirt bike. Now an adventure bike is a dressed up (or down) road bike.

The problem is that dirt bikes have evolved. With the death of 2 strokes, 4 strokes have become the hard core MXer’s. With the new high tech 4 strokes, there’s no room for the oversized, road legal, slugger version. KTM are the only ones catering for this niche market, but being a niche, they can get away with charging 17k for a single banger over sized dirt bike. Have you seen what sort of multy cylinder road bike you can get for 17k?

The world’s fcuked.
  4. Old Kiwi#99

Old Kiwi#99 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  5. Padmei

Padmei enamoured

Oddometer:
    I don't think they need to do anything to the KLR. If you like them get one if not buy a KTM690. No need to change something that's doing a good job of what it was designed for.
  6. Eddieb

Eddieb Long timer

Oddometer:
    Kawasaki have decided to upgrade the KLR!

As of mid year bikes will be coming out of the factory with significantly harder springs and rebound, a new seat and a new graphics design.

:rofl
  7. Mark_S

Mark_S Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer:
    I don't know if you are man enough but something like this

apparently the weather is going to shit for this weekend so maybe next weekend sometime? what suits you?

I hope you realize how much your nasty comments about the scrambler suspension upset Tim - once he stopped blubbering he ordered some fork inserts...

I suppose its rich old bastards that buy new bikes and they want big flash bikes that look like they could go off road. Only the snorfest DR and lambkiller 690's really fit your definition of an adv bike

It does seem odd - sell it for $13-$14k and it would do really well you'd think - but maybe they'd just be selling to their existing klr market - effectively selling the same number of units but having to support 2 bikes not 1??

Unfortunately you've probably hit the nail on the head.

Damn - my one will be valueless now....
    hows the health?
  8. Eddieb

Eddieb Long timer

Oddometer:
    It was worth something to start with?

Day to day stuff is slowly improving but did a 100km road ride yesterday and was so exhausted by the end of it I had to go to bed for an hour when i got home, I wasn't physically able to do anything else.
  9. Night Falcon

Night Falcon Previous Rider

Oddometer:
    Im really hoping that after test riding Wades I'll be totally blown over by them and discover what an all inspiring power wagon they really are....contrary to 99% of reports I've read about them.... hey, ya cant believe everything ya read.

next week would be fine, taking my bride out this weekend for putting up with me for soo long....say Saturday some time would be great.

You'll need to work out a bit to handle the Rev3 though as she's a bit of a handful for the unwary - awesome torque, sublime suspenders, and out standing handling....just hope it starts as haven't had it going for a while :D I'll pm ya my contact details.
  10. innathyzit

innathyzit AKA Woodman

Oddometer:

You may well be surprised what a KLR is capable off. Its all very well having 100 hp, but if you are ony using 40 then the rest is a waste of time.. Yeah that grunt is nice on road, but offroad, not necesaary to ride fast.
  11. clintnz

clintnz Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer:
    Post stone age era suspension however, may come in handy... :lol3

Clint
  12. innathyzit

innathyzit AKA Woodman

Oddometer:
    Will give you that, KLR standard suspenders aren't that good for riding fast offroad, but there is some good stuff for them out there.
  13. Mark_S

Oddometer:
    Bastardo
    That sounds pretty nasty - hope the improvements continue

If you want a comfy cheap road bike that will go just about anywhere they are pretty hard to beat. Just don't expect flash stuff like suspension or acceleration

Thanks Marty

I'm not even sure its needed on road either (one up). I'd like more power but given I only ride at 100-120 I don't often struggle to maintain that sort of speed.

All jap 650'sl have stone age suspension. you've got to go the eurotrash way to get some quality gear to start with. Doesn't cost a lot to make a huge improvement to stock though

Even with good suspension the thought of riding any 180kg bike fast off road scares the do-do's out of me. My klr's biggest limiting factor off-road will alway stare at me in the mirror each morning....

Haven't ridden anything this week as I done got a cold. I'm also going to look at cheaper ($5k-$6k) road bikes I could own while keeping the klr
  14. Oaters

Oaters Old - not bold - moto riding addict

Oddometer:
    Mark - with your last comment about $5-6k road bikes - IMO you could do far worse than getting an Oil Head R11XXGS

My very tidy 02 1150 with 90,000 and a lot of Touratech Bling went for $6.5K a little over 12 months ago. They are very capable in lots of areas just not off road - affectionately referred to as 'pigs' by many.

Another pal has just bought a Honda Hornet - worth considering? Not sure about the ergonomics for your frame though.

My R12GS is perfect ergonomically for my tall frame.

Looks like you're having fun with the search - Cheers S
  15. Mark_S

Oddometer:
    Your 1150 sounds like good buying - I'd certainly have looked at it if I had been in the market at the time. Never ridden a hornet - I've always liked twins so that’s what I'm focusing on. And yes I intend to enjoy the search as much as I can.
  16. Mark_S

Oddometer:
    Mmmmkay

I took this arvo off and drove (couldn’t find the shed keys to set the KLR free for a run....) up to Palmerston North and rode 3 bikes:

2002 VTR1000 - nice engine sexy yellow colour but I couldn’t get comfy and it just didn’t fire me up
    2008 SV100S - really liked it - quick enough and quite comfy - might need 25mm or so higher clipons, was ok to sit at 100k ish on and the ride on backroads wasnt jarring.
    1996 BMW R1100R - it was pleasant enough to ride but it just screamed 'pipe and slippers'. A very adequate but unexciting bike

I've been quite enjoying the naked bikes I've been riding - you seem to be more aware of your speed and the lack of clutter up the front of the bike is nice. There are a couple of SV1000 naked's on tardme so I might check one of those out. Seems you can pick up a tidy 04-08 sv for 6 to 7k ish. If I got something like that I'd hold onto the klr and see which bike I used the most then sell the other one 6 months down the track.
  17. innathyzit

innathyzit AKA Woodman

Oddometer:
    Before getting the GS I was seriously considering a few CB1300s that are on trademe. Really like the look and they apparently just stonk along at low revs pretty good. Honda reliability and build quality too.

Remind me again why I got an airhead?
  18. Night Falcon

Night Falcon Previous Rider

Oddometer:
  19. bart-nz

bart-nz Long timer

Oddometer:
  20. clintnz

clintnz Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer: