Moto Guzzi Adv bike.?

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by dezrat57, Jun 15, 2005.

1. jegrmajstr

jegrmajstr thumper tourer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Precis, I'll keep my eye on the valves when I pull the whole thing apart this winter... Although the bike has relatively low mileage (just over 20k), and we don't have any of the ethanol blend crap of fuel here so fortunately no worries there :D

Pulled the right-side carb apart again today and soaked in cleaner etc... The pilot (starting) jet was clogged and there was quite a lot of crap in the carb, even though I cleaned it not so long ago...

Couldn't try the bike out though, flat battery :puke1
  2. JamesG

JamesG Rabid Poster

Oddometer:
    Do you have inline fuel filters fitted?
  3. jegrmajstr

jegrmajstr thumper tourer

Oddometer:
    Yes I do have inline filters + carbs have their own filter screens on on fuel inlets... I guess there was still enough crap inside to clog it up after sitting for some time. Nevermind, I'll see tomorrow if the issue is solved, I'm really looking forward for some quality riding now that most of the college exams are through :)
  4. ScuRoo

ScuRoo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Complete under the radar genius big distance adventure offroader.

Attached Files:

5. Precis

Precis Maladroit malcontent

Oddometer:
  6. chris a

chris a Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Guys,
    my first post here but I've visited for a while as I own and love this beast which is from 1987:
    A fair few mods 'cause I'm a shortie...cut down seat, shorter rear shocks and lowered the forks.Replaced the motoplatt system which failed with a ZDG digital one on the alternater...got rid of the air box and put foam uni's on ...aircooled sump extension cuase it's hot here in the summer.
    Further changes are going to be a Breva floating disk and 4 pot calliper on the front to give me decent brakes after a few too many brown pant moments and possibly fork emulaters too..
    At some point when I have my other Guzzi back on the road I'll stip the box and engine down to sort out the engine leak on the left pot and do the valves ...probebly have to do the rings too...
    Any ideas on the emulaters ???

Attached Files:

7. R59

R59 they call me Rocker

Oddometer:
    Now that's cool! :thumb
  8. Precis

Oddometer:
    Hey Chris
    I'd like to know more about the new front brake conversion - is it a straight bolt-on job?
  9. chris a

chris a Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Unfortunatly not Precis ...I wasn't aware prior to bidding that the cast Breva 750 wheels have different hubs to other small bloc guzzis ( so much Guzzi stuff is interchangable I got a bit blase !!!) so I will need to machine up an intermediate spacer for the disc . As it's a floating 320mm the four pot calipers need a bracket too but at least the bike will stop when I want it to.
    I suspect that the disc from V 7 would do fine cause I'm virtually sure the hub would be the same as the earlier spoked smallblocs.
    If you can live with a smaller disc then you have lots of choices ...for example a T3 or LM 1 300mm disc fits fine useing extra stock spacers.
    Apparently the 4 pot brembo caliper and discs off later NTX's and early Cagiva Elefants will fit but they are feckin expensive when you can find them : I picked up the disc, caliper and master cylinder in virtually new condition for about 150 euro so I did pretty well considering...
    Do you have any experiance with upgrading the forks to emulators ?
    It would be interesting to have info from desertpiston as to the set up used on his Baja...it cant be the same as stock !!!!
  10. Precis

Oddometer:
    I sold my NTX650 in disgust, but my wife has a V65TT.
    We have a few other guzzis, so maybe I should get a ruler!
    And there are a couple of Bajas about 30km from me; one day I should go & take some detailed pictures!
  11. chris a

chris a Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The brakes are the same on the early NTX as on the TT ...even at the time reviewers were saying how hopeless the front one was !!!!!!
    As far as I know all the Tonti onwards Guzzi's use the same basic front spoked hub.
    Any info on the Bajas would be really interesting.There is one incomplete one on french ebay for sale for 7000 euro...been there for a good while and the owner has talked about selling it for years.If I had pots of money I'd go for it or do my own replica.
    I've allways wondered what they did ,if anything, to the engine other than blueprinting it...
  12. chris a

chris a Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    By the way I know what you mean with 'disgust ' with your NTX...mine ran like an erratic piece of shite due to the motoplatt breaking down...took me a good frustrating while to throw it out and get it running well with a ZDG crank mounted ignition.Then the rear wheel buckled and it turned out that the rim was cracked...a lucky find on ebay got me a new set of wheels.After that the exhaust box under the sidepanel ruptured so more money was pored in there too...
    Owning one of these has been a labour of love in my experiance but then again most 25 year old bikes have issues :lol3
  13. Precis

Oddometer:
    I ride Guzzis because they generally DON'T have "issues!
    My NTX was one sour experience - within 50 metres of coming off the trailer, it stopped - many hours later we found that one coil and the other side Motoplat had died - so, two new coils, one Dyna S and $800 later ... the exhaust fell apart when the electrician was chasing sparks, so that was another $900 for a full stainless system.
    Then the small scrape on the tank was a lot worse than it seemed, so I imported a full set of bodywork from Italy ($1200); the cracked rev-counter glass was an unusual size, so it was cheaper to get a whole new instrument panel.... The gearbox was pissing oil and that was an $800 overhaul...
    Whatever COULD go wrong, DID - so after a few years of chasing parts, looking at badly-repaired stuff from the last 25 years and throwing money at it, I gave up and sold it in pieces - never did get to ride it. I heard the new owner just threw it together and it's performed faultlessly ever since.
    In contrast, Mrs's TT is scruffy, but runs well.
    Desperately needs better brakes and a bigger tank would be good, but in the meantime, she has other bikes to ride.
  14. chris a

chris a Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Guzzi's not having issues was also my experiance until the NTX but I wouldn't part with it ...one look at a Baja photo back in 85 or 86 made me howl with lust and it's still there !!!!!
    I hope to get the brakes done this winter and I'll keep the group posted ...the only difference between the NTX and the TT are the fork diameters so what works on mine will do your wifes TT too.
    Go for the left hand disk and brake of a spoked big bloc and you should be fine with a spacer and adapter for the caliper...the master cylinder may do...
  15. Precis

Oddometer:
    The NTX forks are also a good deal longer, I think - and I JUST put new Goodridge lines front and back on it to try & improve the brakes; it's marginally better, but I'm think I need a gruntier (is that even a word?) master cylinder.
    Now I think of it, I have a spare caliper for my Caponord lying around someplace - that might put more squeeze on it!
    Trouble is, while I want more bite on the road, I don't want to make the brakes too savage for use on dirt roads.
  16. chris a

chris a Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As far as I can make out the only difference between the NTX and TT forks is the diameter...the NTX looks a lot taller but the seat is a bit higher and so is the fairing.Of course your forks could well be different.
    In Guzziology the front master cylinders are discussed: apparently the TT came with 12mm dia pistons whereas the NTX should have an 11mm item.Richardson suggests that a 10mm would be even better as less diameter will give a stronger and more progressive brake.
    I appreciate that upgrading the brakes too much could be dodgy on the mud and loose gravel but as I do little riding in those conditions I'd rather be able to stop well on the tarmac having had a few near misses with the NTX, especially with a full petrol tank.The late NTX for pot style caliper could well be the one for you ...Teo Lamers has a seconhand one and there were some also on italien ebay but they are bloody expensive and I'm not sure that they don't need an adapter making up appart from the postage to OZ which is probebly an arm and a leg too !Early Elefants also used the same calipers but they are also very rare now...the later Nissin ones could work out...
  17. Desertpistons

Desertpistons 80s dakar

Oddometer:
  18. chris a

chris a Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Excellant stuff 'piston...any info on the Baja is allways of interest for me .Once I've won the lottery I'll be making a 4 valve replica out of my NTX !!!!
  19. Desertpistons

Desertpistons 80s dakar

Oddometer: