Trying to guage interest on a new GPS tracking product

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by interphone, Feb 6, 2013.

1. interphone

interphone Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This product is currently available in Europe and the cell frequency isn't the same. We are wondering if there is enough interest in the US market to make a US version. In short, it is a GPS tracking device with some SOS functions that accept a SIM card. So you can pop in a prepaid SIM and not have to pay monthly fees. The retail price would be somewhere around $300. MORE INFO BELOW

http://interphone.cellularline.com/en/motorcycle/sistemi-gps/gps-safe/

here is a link to a pdf data sheet as well: http://interphone.cellularline.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/GPSSAFE_scheda_EN.pdf

GPS SAFE

SAFE GPS TRACKER
    CODE: GPSSAFE

Using the GSM and GPRS networks and a GPS satellite sensor, GPS SAFE can locate objects and persons anywhere on Earth with the simple use of a Smartphone or PC with Internet connection.
    GPS SAFE can be used in many different ways:

• SATELLITE-BASED THEFT PREVENTION FOR MOTORCYCLES, CARS AND OTHER VEHICLES.
    When placed in a vehicle, after being suitably configured and activated, GPS SAFE will send a link via SMS if the vehicle is moved. When the link is clicked, a map is displayed showing the area and exact position of the vehicle.
    When used on a motorcycle, the accidental movement sensor will send an alarm via SMS even if the motorcycle is only taken off its stand.

• EMERGENCY ALARM
    The GPS SAFE has an SOS button that can be used to send an emergency alarm. When the SOS button is pressed, GPS SAFE will call 5 previously saved telephone numbers repeatedly until any of the 5 numbers picks up.

• CHILD MONITOR
    When the device is placed in your child’s back pack, it can tell you his or her exact position in real time with a simple SMS.

• ANIMAL MONITOR
    When the device is placed on a collar or a saddle (horses), it can tell you the exact position of your animal in real time with a simple SMS.

• AREA SECURITY
    With its remote audio monitoring feature, GPS SAFE allows you to listen to what is happening in the area where it has been placed.

• LOCATING GROUPS
    Useful for knowing the position of work teams, excursionists, emergency squads, extreme sports enthusiasts, trekking fans, paragliders, etc.

• TRACKING SHIPMENTS OF VALUABLES
    When properly hidden in goods that are being shipped, GPS SAFE can track the shipment in real time.

• NO CONTRACT WITH AN OPERATIONS CENTER IS REQUIRED
    Just install an activated SIM card with enough credit for sending SMSs or placing calls.

For Interphone products available in the US visit: http://www.interphonewireless.com
  2. Wired

Wired Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So how does it work outside of cellular coverage areas? I'm assuming the GPS portion is only to get its coordinates and reports those and texts via cellular.

How long is the standby time?

How would this work with a prepaid phone. You buy 500 mins & text and just buy more when you need them?
  3. interphone

interphone Adventurer

Oddometer:
    it only communicates via cellular. use time is reported as 72hrs. i'm sure it heavily varies on use. we picked up a prepaid simcard from t-mobile for $20 to mess around with it to found out it doesn't work in the US, so we were unable to test exactly how long it would last.

if you plan on keeping it on your bike, there is an optional battery wire harness. the idea is that you would buy a pre-paid sim and leave it in there and use it as you need it instead of paying for a monthly plan. some pre-paid plans have auto-renew so you dont run out, it probably varies.
  4. shashankmittal

shashankmittal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Interesting concept, I'll be interested if/when this is released for the US market.
  5. Wired

Wired Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sounds like an interesting concept. Could be useful. Does the unit need a clear view of the sky to be able to receive the GPS stuff? probably can't hide it that well if it does.
  6. tedder

tedder irregular

Oddometer:
    If it's cellular-only, I may as well use my smartphone. Yeah, I can't bolt it to my BMW while at Starbucks.

And cell-only means I still need a SPOT. The best terrain is well outside of cellphone territory.
  7. trailNtent

trailNtent Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Unless I'm missing something. I don't see any advantages over just using your cell phone to call or text for help? Strapping a $300 device to your horse/kid/bike that needs charging every 3 days doesn't seem all too practical.
  8. UtahFox

UtahFox Been here awhile

Oddometer: