Crankcase vent to airbox drain???

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Orangecicle, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Orangecicle

Orangecicle On a "Quest" Supporter

Oddometer:
    Maybe this is a stupid idea. I wanted to bounce it off the forum before I do it. I want to remove the crankcase vent from the top of the air box (for numerous reasons). After considering all options, I'm thinking that a simple solution would be to just reroute the vent tube back to the airbox drain tube with a T to join the two. Any thoughts before I start hacking. Oh wait, it's 10 degrees in my garage. I think I have awhile before I start cutting. :rofl
  2. Vicks

Vicks gets stuck in sand

Oddometer:
    The aix box vent is on the "dirty side" and you will have a bunch of crap accumulating in your crank-case soon after.

Don't do it.

Instead, find a cheap inline fuel filter for cars/automobiles and shove it into the crank case vent pipe after removing it from the air box cover. Seal the fitting on the air box cover properly.

and oh, :wave everyone. was away for the last two weeks. Had a Dakar to run :deal
  3. Dogtown

Dogtown Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ive got (maybe) a related question/comment.

My 07 990 is making some weird throaty air box noises intermittintly....Totaly weird!? I kept the bike running and as far as I can see the 1/2 inch drain tube came out of the bottom of the air box and thats the cause....I think?? Its routed down the side of the bike to drain anything out that might get in I guess. Have not re connected yet but why is the sound intermittent??
    :ear

Oh! i have ectomy'd all the SAS and such
  4. Vicks

Vicks gets stuck in sand

Oddometer:
    I'd say you are having an intermittent air leak in your air box. Alongwith the weird throaty noises, do you also have un-steady idle and running issues ?

The drain tube should be attached to the air box, but disconnecting will not cause any noises/issues. Why not re-connect it and see if it changes anything (ideally, it should not) ?