TuneECU for 990 - got tunes?

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by jetpoweredmonkey, Oct 31, 2010.

1. Rockwell

Rockwell Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Got the drivers installed and connect to the ECU. The program read the map, but once the map was completely read, the program froze. I tried this twice with the same result.

I'm running Windows 7 and using the cable from CJDesings.

I didn't realize it would take that long to read the map. I looked around the repair manual to try to find the headlight fuse, and pulled the 15A fuse in the fuse block.

Has anyone experienced this freeze?

Is it likely due to low battery voltage? The battery is on the charger now and I am going to wait until it is fully charged until I try again.
  2. Hootowl

Hootowl Long timer

Oddometer:
  3. gefr

gefr Life is a trip

Oddometer:
    Maybe TUNEecu is meant to run on 34bit? you better check it out?
    Hope that helps.
    Cheers
  4. Rockwell

Oddometer:
    I did get a battery reading at the bottom of 12.1V

I put the battery on the charge and the tender indicator is solid RED, meaning that the battery voltage is below 80% charged (flashing RED for above 80%, and solid GREEN for fully charged).

I first ran the program in compatibility mode, so, even though my system is 64-bit, it should run fine in that mode. I also tried running it in normal mode with the same results.
  5. Rockwell

Oddometer:
    From the TuneECU website:

System requirements:
    Computer: PC or Netbook , running Windows (XP, Vista, Windows 7 (32 or 64 bit), USB 2.0 or better.)

I'm thinking it's the battery voltage. Will have to finish charging the battery to test.

Just to confirm, I only read the map. I didn't get a chance to change any values or try to upload the map back to the ECU. My stock map should remain in tact, is this correct?
  6. moto-treks

moto-treks Back Home

Oddometer:
    Yes. Unless you do a download you'll be ok.
  7. Zuber

Zuber Zoob

Oddometer:
    I seem to remember....??

TuneECU will read from the ECU (upload) faster if you first read a similar map from your hard drive into TuneECU. I think this sets up the registers.
  8. Rockwell

Oddometer:
    Battery was too low.

I left the battery to charge overnight, removed the 15A headlight fuse, and tried again today. I also left the tender on while working with the laptop.

Reading the ECU map took about 3 minutes and, this time, TuneECU didn't freeze. I got a confirmation that the map had been read. I saved a copy to my hard drive, and was able to edit values. I disabled that SAS (SAI) and uploaded (sent) the new map to the ECU. Sending to the ECU took only seconds.

It's been almost 11 months and a complete rebuild (transferred everything to a new frame, replaced damaged parts) but it's alive!
  9. Rockwell

Oddometer:
    I just noticed this. Below is the stock map that I read from the ECU and saved to my computer.

KM601AK0603D01Map.hex

I noticed the AK in the file name, and, looking down the list of maps on the TuneECU site, the AK is used for bikes fitted with Akropovic slip-on exhausts.

I purchased my motorcycle new with standard exhausts.

Why do I seem to have a map for a bike with Akropovic exhausts? I purchased the bike in Wichita, Kansas, and rode it back to Toronto, Canada. I stopped in Terre Haut, Indiana for my 1,000km service. This is the only time I had a shop work on my bike. I think I remember them saying that they updated the fuel map, but I am not 100% sure.

Has the wrong map been loaded into my ECU?
  10. moto-treks

moto-treks Back Home

Oddometer:
    Could have been. Was the bike new? or new to you? It's possible that someone loaded the map to either try and fix a snatchy throttle or because they thought the extra fuel would just make it faster :huh Maybe it had Akropovic on in another life.

It's easy to verify. Just download a known Akropovic map and compare the two in TuneECU.
  11. kenhaw

kenhaw 2006 Adventure S EU

Oddometer:
    Hi guys and girls

Have been fighting with my stalling 990 2006 eu model for some time now.
    Downloaded the 2007/08 map which gave me more options..
    Adjusted throttle, reset adaptation and let her idle for 15 min and no more stalling:clap.

Brilliant

Thanks for all your help
    Mane likes this.
  12. Rockwell

Oddometer:
    Bike was brand new when I bought it.

Maybe it was the bike's wishful thinking.

I don't want to read about why I need new exhausts because then I'd likely be out another $1,200.
  13. moto-treks

moto-treks Back Home

Oddometer:
    I'd compare the maps to verify but I'm guessing someone just thought they were helping your out :D A 2 into 1 and Rottweiler fitter would let you see the true benefits of that map :deal
  14. Rockwell

Oddometer:
    OK...I was clicking around in the drop-down menus to see what was there, and I saw a "map info" option.

This is what came up for comments on my map:
    KTM 990 Adventure 06 model year with Akrapovic Titanium slip-on exhaust

I guess I should change it back to the standard map for stock exhaust?
  15. moto-treks

moto-treks Back Home

Oddometer:

Yes you can :thumb

I'm not familiar with the '07 990 but with my '10 990, I when from the standard map to the '11 standard map and then the '11 R map. After I installed the Rottweiler I installed the '11 Akrapovic "R" map and took the bike to a dyne for custom running. Each map changed how the bike performed. These programmable ECUs are great!
  16. Zuber

Zuber Zoob

Oddometer:
    Try the latest map for the 07-08 Adv with stock exhaust. Runs well.
    km601us0704501

Set the throttle cable. Sync the throttle bodies. Mark the throttle tube with known opening values, 0%, 8%, 10, 15, etc. Ride it for a while and note how it runs.

Then try some tweaks on the ign map to smooth out the throttle - Cut off the peaks at 3500 rpm (retard timing).

Then if you have any surges try increasing the fueling at that RPM/Throttle.

Rinse - repeat - enjoy.

dz
  17. pulpo2011

pulpo2011 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks
  18. Zuber

Zuber Zoob

Oddometer:
    Ignition map is I1/I2.

Add fuel using F1/F2, only bump by 2-3%.
  19. Rockwell

Oddometer:
    I loaded the stock '07/'08 map (for standard exhaust) yesterday. The only change that I made was disabling the SAI since I had removed it.

I also noticed, when looking at the original map that was on my bike, that, other than being for Akra exhausts, the O2 sensors and EPC were disabled.

I read near the beginning of this thread that the O2 sensor accuracy can be questionable.

Is this why they have been disabled?
    How is the 02 sensor data used in the ECU control algorithm - to regulate the air-to-fuel ratio?

What does EPC stand for and what is it used for?
    Is this the emissions (charcoal canister) stuff?
  20. Rockwell

Oddometer:
    I'm going to have to learn a bit more before I understand this.