rnickymouse failure Mulholland fest

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by wiseblood, Jul 31, 2012.

1. kbasa

kbasa big big energy

Oddometer:
    Bicycles are, in the main, prevented by law from riding on divided highways such as interstates. There are exceptions in some cases.

If a 55mph road has a breakdown lane, then yes, I'll ride there. Around here, there are many 55mph roads where bicycles and autos happily co-exist. I feel fortunate to live in a place where bicycles are commonplace on the back roads and both car and bike pilots have an understanding about how to get along together.

That said, I frequently come across large groups of peloton riders that are blocking the road and infuriating the auto drivers. In short, their riding etiquette sucks and we, the safe, courteous bicycle riders, have to put up with the fallout from their actions. One of the local groups that tends to ride like that are the Caballo Rojo guys. They pulled up at our local bakery and a few minutes later an single rider came by, slowed down and, at the top of his lungs, called them out on their shitty riding etiquette. I started clapping and yelled thanks! :lol3

Stereotyping bicycle riders as all being alike is as accurate as categorizing motorcyclists as all being alike.
  2. kbasa

kbasa big big energy

Oddometer:
    True in SoCal. Not as true up here.
  3. wiseblood

wiseblood This checks out Supporter

Oddometer:
    You mean, these guys?

[​IMG]

:augie
  4. daveinva

daveinva Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Plenty of double yellow crossing, risky lines around blind corners, and speeds far more appropriate for the track and not a public road.

Other than that, nice bit of riding.
  5. slide

slide A nation with a future

Oddometer:
    Anybody hanging off on the street is riding outside himself for the conditions. If the only danger was to himself, I'd not care, but someday this asshole is going to round a corner hanging off and run into a troop of Girl Scouts trying to cross the road.
  6. kbasa

kbasa big big energy

Oddometer:
    Yeah, well, those guys too. :lol3
  7. HooliKen

HooliKen Awesome is a flavor

Oddometer:
    And the guy on the R1 never got very deep into the tach. And dayum that crossplane motor sounds awesome. My 04 was crazy peaky. I would have to run much higher in the rev range to get the same acceleration off corners.

Quess I should throw in the obligatory "Unsafe Douchebag's" to keep the safety police happy. :D
  8. slide

slide A nation with a future

Oddometer:
    Hilarious that this guy, who I suppose is your hero, will someday take out a kid or an old person too slow or transfixed to dodge out of his way.

I hope when your turn comes, the bike you are riding gets lodged up your own ass.
  9. HooliKen

Oddometer:
    :cry

Get over yourself. Believe this is a "fail" thread for a reason. Never said what they were doing was safe in anyway.

In my younger years I will happily admit to riding in much the same fashion as those depicted in this video. There are a multitude of reasons I do not anymore.

And your post may have you believing that you are a true protector of the weak and infirm, but wishing harm on me shows your true character.
  10. DC2wheels

DC2wheels Castle Anthrax troll Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1

That's why they have track days.
  11. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    The guy on the R6 wasn't dragging and keeping the lean well in check, the hanging was either for show, or for margin.....remember that hanging off required or not means less lean angle for any given speed, so he had more contact patch, thus more ability to slow down/correct his line as required......404 fail not found.

The RC8, that dude was pretty shaky, and for all of the wobbling he wasn't going very fast, that actually made me nervous.
  12. wiseblood

Oddometer:
    Body positioning thread in 3... 2... 1... :evil
  13. wiseblood

Oddometer:
    Actually, he looked pretty damn good! Excellent body positioning, and crisp turn-in points. The wobbles looked like nothing more than, he's riding at only about 6/10ths, and there was traffic...
  14. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    If we're lucky, your turn will come tomorrow so we won't be subjected to any more of your shitard posts. :lol3
  15. chippertheripper

chippertheripper motorcycle junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dude was pretty crossed up. Sure his kne was down and they were flying, but he didn't look good. Which is really semantics when compared to the asshattery that is riding like that on the street.
  16. der_saeufer

der_saeufer Пу́тін хуйло́

Oddometer:
    We have no shortage of peckerhead bicyclists around here, but those two guys were doing it textbook perfect. They were as far right as safe and were riding in perfect single file. I could've gotten around them in a pickup (it's legal to straddle the line to pass bicycles, and that stretch is straight), so there's no excuse for a motorcyclist.

Nobody walks in LA. Also, pedestrians walk on the LEFT when there's no sidewalk, so they can see it coming and jump out of the way (and, in California, cars have the right of way).

Someone who rides it more than me may be able to confirm, but I think the stretch that includes the Snake is unposted, so it'd be "reasonable and prudent" but no more than 55 since it's a two-lane; California, like Europe, is full of back roads where the limit is never posted. Some parts of Mulholland Hwy are posted 45, and the CHP is never hard to find around there...

(Random trivia: Mulholland Hwy and Mulholland Dr are named for Bill Mulholland, the director of the LA Dept of Water and Power who 'obtained' large amounts of water from other parts of the state for what was then a quickly growing city--the San Fernando Valley was just being planted to citrus at the time; houses were a long way off. There's a memorial for him at I-5 and Los Feliz--fittingly, it's an open-pool fountain.)
  17. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:

No assurance that they were going very fast. The wide angle go pros increase the sensation of speed. The guy with the chase bike (wisely) didn't have his speedo in the shot, but that bike didn't sound like it was working very hard.

I used to ride a number of very tight roads where keeping the 35-40mph speed limit meant hanging off, or rolling off the edge of a 195/55 rear tire without breaking the speed limit...just ignoring all of the advisory signs.
  18. wiseblood

Oddometer:
    Oh, he did. In the first half of the video, they hit triple digits a couple times. :evil

And, chipper: Crossed up, you say?

[​IMG]

:*sip*
  19. HooliKen

Oddometer:
    :bow:bow:bow.....Everytime I see this.....:bow:bow:bow
  20. wannaklr

wannaklr Long timer

Oddometer: