Windscreen FAQ

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by JimO, Apr 11, 2002.

1. Killen

Killen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Lots of protection:

Attached Files:

2. Harry Swan

Harry Swan One more time

Oddometer:
    Here's my 2 cents worth... There were two things I regularly ‘blessed' on this years trip to Alaska, Ohlins shocks and my Aeroflow's windshield.

I'm 6' tall with a 32" inseam on a stock seat in the high position with Airhawk cushion on top.

With the Aeroflow's tall screen mounted I cruised through Alaska with nary a complaint about the weather. The tall screen allows me a quiet bubble with a slight breeze to cool my helmet vents but no buffeting and, yes, I can easily see over it.

With the shorter standard screen installed I get more air to the helmet with about the same wind to the body as the tall screen. For summer riding I rely on air getting to me via arm and side vents. Slight buffeting to the top of the helmet but that can be controlled in part by adding spacers to the upper bolts which moves the screen forward and up slightly for some fine tuning of air movement.

The benefit from both of these screens is a quiet peaceful space in which to enjoy the ride and some music and even a book on CD.

FWIW. I also tried the new Wunderlich screen on a friends GS and I still prefer the way the Aeroflow moves air around me and the Aeroflow does seem more stable at speeds of 75 MPH and up.
  3. Arch

Arch Incurable Gearhead

Oddometer:
    Got my Wunderlich Touring screen today, Emile. Thanks again for letting us here in the States in on its existence - so our importer would start stocking 'em. It is indeed beautiful both optically and aesthetically. Just really suits the looks of the bike and bolted right up in minutes. Sure enough, it's very much like an Adventure screen and the fact that it retains the stock screen's ability to adjust up & down is a big plus. I've only had time to take a 10 minute jaunt thus far, but the difference is immediately felt even in the lowest position. And the Wunderlich adjustment knobs make playing with the different settings a cinch. Will post pics & more detailed op/ed after some quality seat time. Can't wait...

:beer
  4. Marty

Marty Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Archie

along with your report of the new screen here, please include pics on your site. i am interested!
  5. Jase

Jase Pissed Adventurer

Oddometer:
    you can browse back through this topic a bit and find pics of the screen.

i also bought it based on the review of the Flying Dutchman (Emile) and it rocks :drums

i have a shitload less turbulence, it's wider so that helps my shoulders, and it's easy to see through

basically i'm one happy camper :):

think the screen is GREAT!

I use it on the middle position with seat on high position. cruising at 100mph no probs now.
  6. Arch

Arch Incurable Gearhead

Oddometer:
    Hi Marty, I'm scheming a fun little GS resource page, just gotta get around to it. But as Jase mentioned, Emile's pics on page two of this thread are excellent.

Thus far I've only managed a couple of short rides as work has me buried and tied to four wheels, but it seems every bit as nice as has already been mentioned. I'm really looking forward to an extended ride where I can sample the various positions at speed and over time.

:evil

Arch
  7. Fyrmd

Fyrmd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I contacted Cee Bailey on the contact issue on the hand protectors. They said the 4" wider screens would hit, unless you have the Touratech "hardpart". The 3" wider screen clears with the standard setup. This is for the adventure screen, I am not sure about the other one.
  8. Red Bull

Red Bull Owner - Sonoma Moto - BMW certified Tech

Oddometer:
    Your kidding, right?:confused You may mean the (Acebris) - OEM's by Touratech "brush guards" that are indeed smaller tward the area that could touch a windshield.

The hard part is a retro fitment to strengthen the transmission housing design flaw.

Attached Files:

9. cRAsH

cRAsH Banned

Oddometer:
    No - he prolly means the hard part - it limits the fork turning.
  10. Red Bull

Red Bull Owner - Sonoma Moto - BMW certified Tech

Oddometer:
    Yep, I forgot I even had this on! It's like mandatory equipment for any off-road. I've seen some rubber thingys glued to the telelever that seemend to do the same thing... but in a tough spill I wonder if it would not get poped off?

Attached Files:

11. Jase

Jase Pissed Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Not such a good photo - but what the hell :):

Screen is in lowest position here
  12. chadhargis

chadhargis Too tall for sportbikes Supporter

Oddometer:
    I haven't tried my Cee Baileys screen in the low position yet. It does such a good job where it is that I'm afraid to move it.

But BOY is it HUGE!
  13. cdt45acp

cdt45acp Will Ride for Food

Oddometer:
    I bought a beak add-on/extension, that goes on the new GS Adventure, from BMW.

The new beak; way good.
  14. cdt45acp

Oddometer:
    Drill six holes and it's on forever
  15. Arch

Arch Incurable Gearhead

Oddometer:
    Was able to squeeze in a nice ride this weekend, long enough to get to know the Wunderlich Touring screen. I'm 5'10, 33" inseam and run the stock seat in its lowest position. First of all, the screen clears the factory handguards in all three positions. Thus far it seems I prefer having it tilted all the way back as this provides very clean airflow. So not only is the windblast GREATLY reduced compared to the stocker, what does get past is far smoother as well. I tried the other positions and there's a bit of buffeting, but only as compared to having it tilted back because in no position is the Wunderlich more obnoxious than stock in this regard. I'm thinking that come wintertime, being able to tilt it up will come in handy.

In short - This thing is indeed really nice, lets call it $160 very well spent. Comparison & installed pics on the site, when I get the time.

:1drink
  16. Airtire

Airtire Major Spammer //////

Oddometer:
    We have shipped screens down under. It is only about $50 door to door Fed Ex.

=======================================
    Thanks for all of the feedback. We have ordered up one of those Wunderlich Touring Screens, which we should have in shortly.

We will see if we can improve upon it or just keep it the way it is using our good acrylic and offering colors, etc. Of course, we can probably improve upon the $160 Arch spent and keep the $ here in the good ol USA.

That will be our 4th GS screen, but they all have their own benefits, so we will keep producing them. I just hate that the Adventure screen for a GS needs the $75 BMW Mounts, which seems like a lot for two stumps, but it works best for maximum coverage.

Steve
  17. chadhargis

chadhargis Too tall for sportbikes Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ah yes...the BMW Adventure mounts work WELL! The screen is so wide it even knocks some of the wind off my shoulders. I feel like I'm riding my RT again (with the plastic removed and many pounds lighter).

Fine job....
  18. cdt45acp

Oddometer:
    Vas ist loos?

Do you have a picture?
  19. Curmudgeon

Curmudgeon Enjoying the ride

Oddometer:
    After MONTHS of trying to get the new Wunderlich one peace windscreen, I received the windscreen yesterday from bmwscruz.com. All I wanted was reduced buffeting of my helmet, and I got a lot more. The buffeting for me (6'1", 32" inseam, high sit position) is reduce to about half. I was hoping for a 70-80% reduction (a guy can dream can't he?) of the buffeting. The reduced air pressure on the chest and arms (gorilla arm!) is huge. I feel like I'm behind an RT or something. I had forgotten how much energy is spent fitting the wind on an fairing less bike. Now, I can clearly hear the stock exhaust note, and you can't mistake that asthmatic vacuum cleaner / rattling tin can sound of GS's exhaust note.

Great windscreen... Highly recommended.

Patrick
  20. jschnitz

jschnitz Freeway Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good thinking!!

Also, when do you think you will have a wonderlick touring type deal done that does not need the 70$ adventure deals?

Hey are you all planning on making a 2 piece?

I know it looks kinda funky but I bet a +6in regular screen looks really funky!!

Jason