"The Oasis of my Soul", 9th year on the road...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by BeemerChef, Nov 27, 2006.

1. BeemerChef

BeemerChef Wandering Homeless

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

“35”. October 13ht. From “The Oasis”. TX

And then they are the times when the Road does not spare the hard times unlike some might think it is always the blue skies with no clouds. Lance's Birthday will of course not stop coming around and down again through memory lane the mind takes it's own Journey. There is no need for avoidance, this is what Life had planned. Learning to embrace the good ones, that is the good memories, and live uplifted by them is always the key to those days.
    The space here is conductive for such a play of the hours going by. It is “The Oasis” with acres of beauty, miles and miles of roads, paved and unpaved, Friends that welcome us back for those times we will be here in and out this winter. This always has been the ultimate retreat and remains as such.
    In a day or two we will however be leaving for Wyoming to retrieve “Old Faithful”, one more step to have it all together here.
    The shoulder is getting better. We were able to take a long ride yesterday through Big Bend Park, always a treat. Paying the price a bit for it today, but this too shall pass.
    More on the Journal...

Be well, always.

Ara and Spirit

6 years, the Stars, living under them…

www.theoasisofmysoul.com The Journal
  2. BeemerChef

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Gray Days, Colorful mind. Texas.

Lingering here at “The Oasis” will do this. “This” meaning erasing clocks, calendars, any source of outside interference with our lives. A Heaven of tranquility and ecstasy and more, so much more it becomes harder and harder to describe what these millions of acres laid out ahead of us bring on day in and day out. Some of the past days have been hot, some have been covered with a ceiling of dark clouds, a cold front made it's way for a couple days and too quickly found the exit door, night time riding or daytime, nothing has stopped us from doing so, including a video of a bit longer nature. Winter is not yet upon us, not yet, this part of the Country seems to avoid it for as long as possible. Regardless of it all, today, as this little screen passes on images of the brutality with which Mother Nature has punched the East Coast I start thinking about such unfairness of the devastation. Cost of lives, homes, businesses, health for so many of the elderly, it is all very much so on a speechless path trying to wish everyone affected a speedy recovery. Wishing. Life has it's twists and turns of too many. Doesn’t it?

Be well, always.

Ara and Spirit

7th Year, the Stars, living under them…
  3. BeemerChef

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Falling into our 7th Year. Texas.

“Day of the Dead” in Terlingua was Friday and so was an Anniversary of our past departure from Georgia [Dawsonville to be precise] 7 Years ago, pretty much with no destination, mental or physical for that matter. Aspects of entertainment are at their highest here. One would not think so while crossing 80 miles of Desert from Alpine or Marathon or Marfa Southbound. There is a lot “happening”. At the same time we made new Friends as they have been traveling from London to South America in their little and efficient “Lada” with their Buddy “John”. No need for a Turbo charged top of the line vehicle, this one does it all as you can even watch the video I posted on the Journal with many Photos also of Friday's Celebration which this Year brought in a nice [and painted] larger crowd. In the meantime we are tomorrow morning taking off for the Park. I don't know yet which one, which direction, maybe Spirit will point the way as he always does.
    Enjoy the Journal, much local colors.

Be well, always.

Ara and Spirit

4. Lost Roadie

Lost Roadie High-Tech Meets Low Class Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lake Isabella, CA USA / Mai Chau, Vietnam
    It's very wonderful to hear you're out of those Valleys and now riding those Peaks.

As always your journal gives me plenty to think about and enjoy, thank you.

Remember, you have the power to effect the worlds around you in the palm of your hands. :)

[​IMG]

Mobile ADV Fix Complete
  5. BeemerChef

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the good words "Lost Rider"... :norton
    Always good to hear from you. Has been too long since the Death Valley Days.
    Hopefully our paths will cross again soon.
    Stay well. Ara and Spirit
  6. BeemerChef

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

“Fresno” site, Mariscal Mines, Big Bend “Texas”

Perfect weather last week was not, still hot into the Park's southern spaces, a few days ago however all turned perfect with the help of a shy cold front. Coming out for some air for a few days, picking up forgotten items as finally a list has become a must [like a jack!] and going right back in who knows where. There are so many choices around us right now while helped by “Crusty” and it's optional 2 wheel drive and reverse. The road to “Mariscal Mines” is not bad at all except while going through dry washes, some broken up trail like situations, a bit of deep pea gravel, “Crusty” made it through it all with flying colors. The nights are beautiful with zero light pollution, quieter than any silence experienced and few are the ones coming through for a few minutes hopefully reminiscing about those Mine workers throughout their hard labor specially in summer times when the temperatures are around 120 degrees. Definitely a destination to be marked on a map, high clearance recommended.

Enjoy the Video and more Photos on the Journal.

Be well, always.

Ara and Spirit

7. BeemerChef

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

“Lost” in Big Bend Park, Texas.

The ability with “Crusty's” two wheel drive and reverse is keeping us away from this “Internet” aspect on roads and campsites which we have not been able to reach before. “Big Bend” has changed into a new World for us. Here we are though now, out for a few days having put some photos together, a couple videos, a couple new entries into our Journal, these Chapters which maybe some day will form themselves into a thick Book!
    The latest days were passed on “Old Ore Rd” witnessing the magical changes of a stage so present, from clear blue skies to storms, from hot to cold and all in between and windy curtain calls. It is what we do best at times having to come out for water and provisions, a bit of fuel and then on right back into the silence and quiet that have surrounded us lately.
    We live in such a beautiful Country which never cease to amaze me. There are no Urban ruffles where we go, it is always Spirit and I and the sights as they were centuries ago.
    Enjoy, much more to discover.

Be well, always.

Ara and Spirit

8. BeemerChef

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

A week in between at “The Oasis”. TX

I started thinking “in between what?”. Maybe between episodes? A Friend of mine wrote to me that he is trying to stay “Off the Grid”. That was the expression I was seeking for though we “are” off the grid ourselves and yet I long for maybe what I can call “Really 'off' the Grid”! I also call it “deeper in” and “more inland”. This “Oasis” of ours with power trickling from solar as are also showers with hot or hotter water on a sunny day, meals cooked with wood or again solar as a mean of heat, all for some reason, maybe being used to it, seems a bit “urban” as much as it is not.

We have been in and out of Terlingua lately listening to some good Music [Video on the Journal] and longing for the past days when spend on “Old Ore Rd”. Now looking at maps and trying to figure out our next destination in a couple of days. With almost 3 million acres ahead of us it is not a very difficult task.
    So yes, this is a week “in between” with more Dentist and Dr visits giving me the clearance for another Healthy Year. No “hoping”, it just will be, positive thinking always. It is what makes us going, going... gone.

Be well, always.

Ara and Spirit

7ht Year, the Stars, living under them…
  9. Pete_Tallahassee

Pete_Tallahassee Grampy Supporter

Oddometer:
    Howdy Ara,

I no longer participate at i-bmw so it's good to see you here.
    I'm heading to Central America in January on my KLR.
    Good health to you.

Pete:dllama
  10. BeemerChef

Oddometer:
    Nice to hear from you. Have fun and stay well. Stay in touch.

[​IMG]

“Grapevine Hills Rd”. Big Bend, Texas

Another great space into the Park for a few days. Another interesting road, not as difficult as “Old Ore Rd” but with the prize of a nice hike to the “Balanced Rock”. Once again the weather was more than perfect, the skies allowed for the clouds daily to play around, sunrises, sunsets, all in between could have not been any more enjoyable. Much cooking this time around, the cooler it is, the more I will cook, the better I eat and the more Spirit most likely gets frustrated as he cannot handle Human food. Poor Buddy of mine, sensitive stomach. It is all so well as “Crusty” continues to perform, she was designed for those roads. Hoping to get back in there again soon, maybe lucky enough to get a site around “Terlingua Abaja” right before the Holiday Madness starts. Of course this is not an Urban environment, such madness is limited, yet, it is for us as Terlingua and the Park will fill up quickly.
    Enjoy the hike and the video.

Be well, always.

Ara and Spirit

11. BeemerChef

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

“La Linda Bridge, a Border “Ghost Town”. TX

I had more in mind calling this destination a “Dead End”. As it is. Coincidentally we were there the same day of the horrific saddening [as words escape me] of last week's senseless shooting ensuing the loss of so many Lives. The Children. It has now been a few days and I still cannot wrap my thoughts around it. This healing Desert is slowly allowing me to again face the daily present and not consider “that Day” as a “Dead End” of it all as much as it has felt like it. There are no other avenues here for one's mind to be distracted, as a ball of fire dropping into this landscape the images, physical and abstract have not gone away honestly not understanding much of it all, not comprehending neither how everyone has had the ability to go on “laughing” and “smiling” when there is nothing to do as such. But yes, Life goes on, this is the Society we live in wondering myself if we just have been conditioned toward such tragedies and if we are turning the pages just a bit too soon. It is a bit of a state of confusion I must say. My Heart goes for the Parents, the Families, the Friends and everyone which their Lives are now changed forever as mine did now almost 9 Years ago and still feels as it was yesterday.
    At the same time the Holidays are upon us, maybe we can balance it all out never forgetting the ones when these times are not of Happy ones.
    I don't know if all of this makes any sense.
    I do wish you I am going to say “A Good Holiday”. That is to me the balance of these present times.

Be well, always.

Ara and Spirit

12. BeemerChef

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

And a “Happy New Year”

...as we come out of “Big Bend National Park” after spending a few days camping at “Rattlesnake Mountain”. It is a Day like others yet does not feel as such. Such have become milestones for us, thinking we made it another Year and another one ahead of us wondering where this will take us, at what level will our Adventures climb up to? Some ideas are present, some decisions taken and now one step at the time to apply them all.
    These past days in the Park were gifted with such incredible scenery, a weather so acceptable considering the snow coming down up North, some good riding and even meeting a few others also enjoying this land always so talkative.
    A couple videos rendered today, one I am calling “The Moon climbing the Ocotillo”, it was luck being at the right place at the right time.
    I found some footage from 7 Years ago [or more?] of the days when we received the sidecar, hooked it up and Spirit's first stay in it! I was choked myself watching it. I had to include it in another Video also in the Journal.
    On to Terlingua now for the Annual “Black Eye Pea” Cook-Off. Why not? Many Friends there and familiar faces, smiling one which I am sure also are welcoming this New 2013 Year.
    Enjoy...

Be well, always.

Ara and Spirit

13. fritzcoinc

fritzcoinc Enjoying my last V8 Supporter

Oddometer:
    Happy New Year to you sir. Safe travels to you as well!
  14. BeemerChef

Oddometer:
    Thank You... snow has already melted here in Big Bend Texas. 6" 's. Rare....[​IMG]

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
  15. M1tch

M1tch Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A belated Happy New Year!!!... been down with the flu
  16. BeemerChef

Oddometer:
    Get better... go ride, that will cure you fast. :D

[​IMG]

The Passion of the Road. TX

It is starting to be indescribable to day in and day out have the freedom to roam. Seemingly one would think it would diminish, only the opposite is happening. Could it be the New Year and the thoughts that all these days of 2013 lay ahead of us? and then again, what is time? Dates?
    We were gifted with some snow a couple days ago. I know the Northerners would not call it a “gift” but here in this vast Big Bend area it is what we call it as being a rarety, maybe a couple times per winter giving us also much water. We of course had to ride it as “Crusty” with her two wheel drive plowed through as being on pavement with much ease and fun.
    It happened as on cue right after the New Year's Day “Black Eye Pea” Coo~Off by the Porch in Terlingua. A full day mixed in with “everyone” gathering around crock pots, Dutch Ovens, you name it. Big smiles, much chatting and much Music also and games and raffles. This is truly a special area of this beautiful Country we live in and feel so fortunate to have discovered it. The word is out!

Enjoy the Videos, Photos...

Be well, always.

Ara and Spirit

17. lemovice

lemovice Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    bonne année chef :dg
  18. BeemerChef

Oddometer:
    Merci beaucoup et toi aussi. :D

Ara and Spirit
  19. BeemerChef

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Language of January Winds. Texas

This time around a physical and mental wintery time is setting in. Yet, lucky for us the weather is not near anything as abrupt and severe as the Northern spaces. With heated gear and an electric blanket for Spirit we can still move around. We also have Terlingua which I would almost say is “a town that never sleeps” as there is always something going on. “Farmers Market” on Saturdays, much Music on the Porch on Sundays, we stop by, we chat, we feel it all and then on back here to “The Oasis” trying to sort what I call some “stuff” and “things” out before Spring shows up. The snow is also long gone, the mud is still here more than ever this time around from also much rain, I feel a bit as I am vegetating and spinning my wheels. The shadows of a January of 9 Years ago is dropping by weighing over the present moments as I do not try to escape it but putting in much efforts to have smoother times. They are a bit of “flat times” pushing myself to stay busy, busier keeping my mind off the past, thinking about the good times trying to leave the dark ones tucked away as yet words of wisdom confront me, sometimes they are just a bit harder to comprehend and put to good use.
    Enjoy the Terlingua Music and one more Snow ride.

Be well, always.

Ara and Spirit

20. BELSTAFF

BELSTAFF ADV NOMAD

Oddometer:
    Understood, Jan is always the hard month for me looking back at the past & thinking what could have been, looking froward to the

possibilities of what can be.

The people of the first man have a name for this bleak but promising month .------ To them it is called----

" THE MOON OF THE POPPING TREES".

That sounds much more romantic than January.

Give Spirit a hug from me
    And as you say "Stay Well"
    Jeff