938 Miles on the Blue Ridge Parkway (mostly pics)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by rockinrog, Oct 14, 2010.

1. Wannabee

Wannabee Survivor of Reality

Oddometer:
    I didn't get to make mine , hopefully next year

sent from my Illudium Q-36 explosive space modulator
  2. rockinrog

rockinrog Long timer

Oddometer:
    I thought about skipping this year due to starting a new job last winter etc, but I need a trip and the 1200 needs broken in correctly.
  3. Wannabee

Oddometer:
    Do it ...you know you want to ..lol
    I was planning a trip down to NC and then do the BRP and Skyline Dr back north , but some financial issues get in the way .

4. rockinrog

rockinrog Long timer

Oddometer:
    The good thing about this trip is that, if you have to, you can camp the whole way along the parkway for around 15- 16 a night.
  5. Wannabee

Oddometer:
    Now your just tempting me ..lol

6. rockinrog

rockinrog Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think one of my trips documented on here only cost me around 200:norton
  7. Wannabee

Oddometer:
    I made the trip last year for pretty cheap , I will definitely be doing it again next year . I have been many places all around the world and my favorite place to be is the Smokey Mountains

8. Davis1

Davis1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I enjoyed reading your RR. Its nice to hear about guys from my/our area going down there and listening to their experiences. So if you skipped the parkway on your way down and just rode it home how many days do you think it would take? I was thinking about running highway to the dragon and then hitting the parkway on the way home. Can it be done in 3 days?
    My furthest trip ever was to Kentucky and back via the mountain roads of WV. 2 days total. Your inspiring me to venture further from my little circle in PA.
  9. rockinrog

rockinrog Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi Davis. I would say yes it is doable, but the days will be long and you won't be able to stop much. The parkway will probably take you 10 hours or so 469/45.
  10. scootac

scootac Just a Traveler

Oddometer:
    Can I say something here?
    Let's look-- Carlisle (or wherever)PA to Robbinsville NC--593 miles/9hrs on I-81 etc.
    A day at the dragon.
    Cherokee NC back to Carlisle PA- 563 miles/8.5 hrs by the SLAB. Rog sez 10hrs JUST for the BRP if you do the whole thing. Let's add another 4 hrs to/from the BRP and start/end points.
    Do you want to just burn gas and be able to say I rode the Draqon and BRP...or do want to see/experience where you were?
    Just sayin'.

Yes, I've done the BRP the whole way and the Dragon. Not same trips. Doing it all in the same trip would be a nice ride this time of year.
    But not in 3 days.
    IMO.

Maybe this sig line I use in another forum explains it a little better....

Too often. . .I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen.
  11. Wannabee

Oddometer:
    I rode Skyline Dr , the BRP, the Foothills Parkway , the Dragon and the Cherohala Skyway to Tellico Plains . Then slabbed it back to Portage Pa 650+ miles in 6 days . Was able to relax , see the area and enjoy the ride . Rushing it isn't worth the effort , I don't see the point of putting miles in just for the sake of it

12. Davis1

Davis1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info. You guys been there done that so you would know. Your right, I want to enjoy and experience the trip not just ride fast to get there and ride back to say I saw it. I will add more days my trip. Thanks again for your feed back. I would have rode down there and been like dang I need more time. :(:

And to Wannabee, I'm right down the mountain from you in Martinsburg. Small world.
  13. Wannabee

Oddometer:
    I ride through there all the time , heading out to ride around Raystown lake and random farm roads . Also like the donuts at Mamies (or however you spell it )

14. BeemerBT

BeemerBT Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Gonna take 4-5 days off and do the BRP to The Dragon, get my silly little
    sticker (looks like it's going to be raining Sunday night to Tuesday, anyway)
    and go from there.

Got the time, got the weather, got the bike packed, now have the suggestions on the best way to enjoy it.

Thanks!

:clap
  15. 4PawsHacienda

4PawsHacienda Inadvertent unrepentant wanderer

Oddometer:
    I live on the BRP and yes it's a good place to ride but please don't ignore the sights and super riding areas around it. If anyone wants to spend some time wandering the region feel free to PM me for some local knowledge.
  16. rockinrog

rockinrog Long timer

Oddometer:
    My 2014 trip is underway. So far fog and rain seem to be the story. Camped at Otter Creek last night..tonight in a lodge in Floyd Va. Not many pics, but I will post what I have this evening.
  17. scootac

scootac Just a Traveler

Oddometer:
    Good for you!
    How's the new bike doing?
    Looking forward to some nice pics!
  18. rhull1

rhull1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just stayed at the Mountain Top in Fancy Gap Thursday night. A friend of mine was slabbing it from Mass to Alabama so I rode with him until we hit Wytheville. I
    Rode over to Fancy Gap on rt 11s, 58e and 52s. Went north on BRP and Skyline. Started out sunny then turned to rain and heavy fog throughout most of Skyline. Fantastic ride. Took some pics. Already planning a two week trip next June to do the whole ride from Front royal to the Tail.
  19. rockinrog

rockinrog Long timer

Oddometer:
    The new bike is doing fine :)
    I am hoping I get a break from the fog today.
  20. rockinrog

rockinrog Long timer

Oddometer:
    One of my usual stops.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]