Mount GPS above cluster on 990 Adventure

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by knuckledonkey, May 21, 2009.

1. muskeg

muskeg Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Found this post from a while back in a search and wanted to thank you for sharing! I really like the solid simplicity of your mount idea and I'm going to copy it. Great job!

Cheers,
    muskeg
  2. Masa

Masa Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks, but I copied the idea from someone else. Hope it works for you!
  3. FakeName

FakeName Wile E Coyote SuperGenius Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here's my solution- fabbed a bracket not unlike one the previous poster:

[​IMG]

installed:

[​IMG]

You can see I had to trim one of the plastic ribs under the dash to accomodate the bracket. The ball mount I used goes through the top with a large washer and an 8mm bolt.
  4. rafaelgimenesleite

rafaelgimenesleite Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Homemade and rammount

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk
    bwanafide and LuigiTheCracker like this.
  5. OrangeBos

OrangeBos Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Copied as well.....why re-invent the wheel when someone else has already created a perfectly round one? I used 17 gauge steel cause it was easier to bend for the base and i am lazy and 6061 aluminum for the top piece. Used some leftover spray paint and some ss hardware and done. 20180203_135638.jpg 20180208_155347.jpg 20180208_155149.jpg Now on to the electronic portion of the job :doh
  6. JohnnyWaffles

JohnnyWaffles Long timer

Oddometer:
    My 2013 came with this mount and setup for an OEM GPS mount already. I wanted to add a RAM ball mount for my Hondo garage phone mount.

20180707_162351.jpg
    I took a standard RAM mount (RAM-B-238 RAM 2.43" x 1.31" Diamond Base with 1" Ball) and was hoping it would magically line up. The problem was the OEM holes were slightly too wide for the RAM mount. I took my Dremel and blew out the holes and purchased two new stainless screws 5mm longer than OEM to accommodate the extra thickness of the RAM mount. Used blue Loctite and they aren't going anywhere.

20180707_162409.jpg

20180707_170740.jpg

Final product. I'm extremely happy with the simple, cost effective and professional looking installation. Shown with a Rade Garage EVO-6 windscreen. I have a 12" USB-C cable I run to one of the two USB ports in the volt meter I installed to the right of the gauge cluster.

20180708_105918.jpg
  7. mroddis

mroddis Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks like I've got the first of my winter mods lined up.....
  8. Peltsi

Peltsi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is that the X-mount from Ram? Are you really gonna trust your phone with that without securing it in any way?

Only asking because that is precisely what I had planned to do.
  9. JohnnyWaffles

JohnnyWaffles Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hell no. Perfect Squeeze mount from Hondo Garage.

This thread is a giant Perfect Squeeze review thread and simultaneous RAM X-mount bash fest complete with broken phone horror stories. The Perfect Squeeze is a mechanical work of art and your phone will never leave it's warm embrace:
    https://advrider.com/index.php?threads/perfect-squeeze-off-road-phone-mount.1144781/

Use "advrider" code to get 10% off (I'm not affiliated).
    Peltsi likes this.
  10. hennessyktm

hennessyktm Still here...

Oddometer:
    As mentioned, not a RAM X-mount. However, the RAM X-mount, with the little silicone/rubber band type thing the X-mount comes with will hold your phone in place...like a rock. I've run mine on very hard off road with no problem. Even with a wicked high side ("totalled" my 950 ADV...Now has a salvage title) and another high speed wreck in baja on an XR650R, phone didn't budge. Really an excellent product.