The All New LIQUID COOLED R1200GS threadfest

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Dorsicano, Feb 3, 2011.

1. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    With the exception of the Piaa LP530s, the led aftermarket driving lights would only be suitable for supplementing the high beam. Where the LED headlight truly shines is on low beam, extremely bright with a wide throw and sharp cutoff so it gives excellent visibility without bothering oncoming traffic.
  2. madefrtv

madefrtv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I agree. The OEM aux LEDs are a bunch cheaper and the integrated switch/mirror mount is cool!
  3. Voz

Voz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm grumpy coz I have to wait 4 more days to pick up my new LC I ordered in Feb, lol.

I have not had a bike for 3 weeks now as I advertised my bike early before the new model expecting it not to sell immediately, I was wrong.

4 more sleeps, c'mon sandman do your thing!
  4. Hambonee

Hambonee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    lol..waiting is hard!

So after test riding a 13' and an older GS ...yeah...ended up picking up the last 13'GS they had in stock..

Damn thing was a rocket...the one they had there even had the options I wanted..and they threw in the 400 dollars engine guards.

Pick it up Tuesday or Wed..cant wait!!!:freaky
  5. atg

atg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Many people have been complaining on how the GPS partially blocks the rpm counter. I am 6ft tall and I use my seat at the low position on the back and high on the front and have had the same problem.

At first I figure that if I change the GPS mount's angle the problem could be made less bothering. In fact I posted about this earlier on this topic. Just so no one needs to look it up, in short, I suggest loosening up the 4 screwws that hold it in place, twisting the mount the most apropriate angle and tightening the screws back snuggly but not overtight.

Eventhough this adjustment lessens considerably the problem, I was not fully satisfied with the results.

I thought that if I could bend the tube structure that holds the mount forward ( towards the riding direction ) , I could improve things considerably. In fact, I even placed an order at our local dealer for a new tube structure so I could try to bend it off the bike and, if all went through as I expected, I would then replace the original one mounted on the bike. This way, I figured, I would't risk anything.

I am not one of great patience and today I thought I would remove the GPS mount and, while sitting on the bike, I would push it forward to see if it would give in...

I have learn 2 things:

The first and most important to all that are bothered by this problem is that the way this tube structure is mounted on the bike allows for some play in its position. Perhaps this is result that the screws that hold it on the bike are not tight enough but in my case I got to move it forward in such a way that the GPS sits a little higher up, closer the windshield.
    after pushing it forward, retightend the tube's holding screws and readjusted the GPS's angle.

Now I can see over the top of the rpm counter !

The second thing I have learned is that the tube structure is very strong as there was no way I could bent in forward when still mounted on the bike... Nice to know that it is so solid !

On monday I am cancealing my order for the tube structure !

Just thought I would share this info with those that are bothered by this problem.

Andre
  6. Aggroman

Aggroman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the tip... really appreciate:thumbup:

Live to ride
  7. HalB

HalB Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Did you like the video?
    It was full of "front end vibrations" wasn't it? :D
    None seemed weird to me though. Pretty normal wouldn't you say?
    I think people that ride on dirt (esp. professionally) will tell you that steering dumpers are like the norm. So... maybe some people pushed the bike (because this bike wants you to push it) a bit more than their confidence level.[/QUOTE]

Yes great. Needed a gravol to watch it though!
  8. HalB

HalB Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the apology. Not sure what trolling is, but my inquiry was genuine, as the rumours were disconcerting. I certainly learned a lot from the responses and links, and my high confidence in BMW is intact.
  9. oz97tj

oz97tj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Trolling is where "jackasses" come along and say dumb stuff just to stir the pot. Oftentimes, it's things that have been addressed over and over again already. Hence my reaction.

The reality is every manufacturer has issues, especially with new bikes. The internet seems to make everything seem far worse than it really is though. When it comes to BMW, it seems there is a lynch mob of people just waiting to find some sort of fault. Not sure why, but minor things get turned into huge issues online. I wouldn't go so far as saying BMWs are the bulletproof bikes that many people believe, but then again they aren't going to fall apart if you push it across the garage either as many believe.
  10. Hambonee

Hambonee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    BMW is kinda king of the segment. Once something or someone holds that spot is seems others become micro focused on finding issue...

Not sure if it is jealousy, just being contrary, or what...but I am a newb with these bikes so my opinion matters little and I have little history to judge on...but damn..first impressions are nice on this bike:D
  11. oz97tj

oz97tj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Motorcycles are about pleasure. It it excites you, buy it and enjoy it!
  12. cjack

cjack Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My dealer used to say "If you can't have fun owning a motorcycle, why ride one?"
  13. EJ_92606

EJ_92606 Rider

Oddometer:
  14. Tonopah

Tonopah Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Has anyone installed an Akra or a Remus on the bike and if so, what do you think?
  15. marchyman

marchyman barely informed Supporter

Oddometer:
    For those in the US... where did BMW hide the evaporative canister? :ear

I can't find it on the realoem parts breakdown.
  16. I GS 1

I GS 1 I 90S I

Oddometer:
    A rather pathetic article I would say. Nick Rufford and Dominic Torbin are obviously a couple of "try hard" journalists trying to stir up a bit of sensationalism. It doesn't sound like they know anything about bikes or biking. I had to laugh at their one conclusion - " Evidence is now emerging that the £11,395 bike had a tendency to lurch violently in some circumstances, with a risk of the rider being thrown off — as happened to Ash". I wonder what they would make of someone riding a S1000RR?
  17. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    I think it's even more pathetic that the vast majority of journalists shied away from doing any investigative reporting on the accident so they could stay on BMW's good side. :deal
  18. Russ

Russ Путин - военный преступник

Oddometer:
    I've fitted the Remus Hexacone titanium slip on, it sounds great and the bike feels like it's breathing better, really happy.:clap
  19. At adventure

At adventure AB

Oddometer:
    Mmmm makes you wonder? My bike (1800km with spoked rims) has developed a bit of a front end wobble in a straight line above 80km. Probably just needs a wheel balance but surprising given I have not taken it off road yet. I will get it checked out and report back. AB
  20. At adventure

At adventure AB

Oddometer:
    Anyone know if you can remove the baffles from the stock pipe or replace the back section with a new cone with removable baffles? I quite like the look and shape of the stock pipe but would like to open it up a bit.