Desert therapy. (yup, another Baja rr).

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by muddyrabbit, Feb 3, 2012.

1. snooker

snooker AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer:
    Well we split up into 3 groups but are all now back in San Flippy packing to leave early tomorrow, Sat.

As to bikes I've learned you don't need a special bike as most of the roads are fast highway and when you are on dirt they are major roads used by locals regularly. Good tires for both are important and I am more comfortable on full knobbies but not really needed until you venture on side roads where the sand is maybe not packed by local trucks. But they ARE very rough with washboards and often sharp rocks.

All the bikes did fine but of course the power of the 650 is really nice on the highway. Loctite'd bolts, good tread and a windshield are important.

-Los vatos locos
  2. snooker

Oddometer:
    A couple of pics from the bombed out remains of San Francisquito. Poor lighting sorry but just a generator and one family that's lives there that shared their giant grilled fish fillet with me. I think he said it was Yellowtail?

Pic of grandma and the 3 month old baby and I took a pic of a photo on the wall of a big fish. It was very cool camping all alone in the big dark sky
    on the water's edge.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  3. snooker

Oddometer:
    Backtracking to before San Francisquito was Asuncion. Here is a pic of Shari at BajaBnB.com in her kitchen an looking down at the Pacific from her patio.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. snooker

Oddometer:
    After the washboard hell road to San Francisquito was an awesome little dirt road to Bahia de Los Angeles where I stayed at Daggett's fish camp. Not great no food or store, minimal banos and funky shower but warm, but had palapas for $10 and lots of other people an 5 min to town. I rode out a sandy side
    road to some native pictograph paintings. That road needed knobbies or else a lot of patience!

This one is actually about 6 feet tall. Nice place and a mission on the main road I think it was called San Borja but I ran out of daylight so didn't get there.

[​IMG]
  5. snooker

Oddometer:
    A more upscale taco stand in a back neighborhood of San Flippy.

Man I have SO much better pics ony real camera oh we'll you will have to just wait !

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  6. shari

shari Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It was a pleasure to host you all...Mer...I like the cunning and mischevious mala! By the way, I found some undies I assume WERE yours...finders keepers amiga...glad we are the same size!!! hahahaha

thanks for coming through on the seafood extravaganza...here is a pic of the booty.
    [​IMG]

It was cool to finally meet the rabbit family and look forward to hangin with you again...thanks for all the tips dude....your malabunny rocks!

[​IMG]

Here is the snook man ready to hit the dirt
    [​IMG]

(I called about the fellow who had an accident and he made it stateside and is stable.)
  7. Mala Bunny

Mala Bunny Adventuress

Oddometer:
    You know, I was wondering what happened to those! Finders keepers!

I am really looking forward to coming down again and spending a little more time in your beautiful little paradise. Hopefully I can get my Mum and step dad to come too! :clap

Thank you so much for everything , Shari! We had such a wonderful time!
  8. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Now that's my idea of a cage! Do you think it would pass Emissions?
  9. plumber mike

plumber mike Highdive Deepened

Oddometer:
    Finally subscribed :freaky

I knew it would hurt.
  10. Salsa

Salsa Long timer

Oddometer:

Why not, you do have a stock engine in the garage somewhere to use when needed. Don't you?

Don :wave
  11. snooker

Oddometer:
    Back to work in my friggin cubicle today... :puke2

I assume the Ohio peeps are back home by now, and Ferrell too. Great trip ya'aaalll.

Hey Drone that buggy had Oregon plates so you may run across it someday. Most people living here from the US just register them locally I think.

I'll go thru my pics and Mikey it will hurt a LOT more when you see the roads we were on and the views ... :lol3

Shari, I'm glad the rider is stateside and perhaps I should not have posted anything at all on the accident, I debated it believe me (if someone has comments please PM me directly on this). Anyhow you rock and I wished I had perhaps stayed one day there but was hot to trot off into the dirt...
  12. muddyrabbit

muddyrabbit Lost Boy

Oddometer:
    Just got home an hour ago. Finally had to pull into the pits in Indianapolis and change a pully and belt on the BWF. Didn't really fix the mystery belt squeel, but we made it home.

On a sad note, somewhere east of Amarillo we seem to have lost our camera! We have some pics on our phones but there was a lot of good stuff on the Fuji. We haven't given up hope on tracking it down but it doesn't look good.
  13. muddyrabbit

muddyrabbit Lost Boy

Oddometer:
    Very bittersweet home coming. I went to Chardon High School, and we live just a few miles away. Unbelievable what is going on.
  14. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    Welcome back guys and girls!
  15. FatherX

FatherX Supervising the Heros

Oddometer:

lost camera = sucky

glad ya made it back in one piece...minus one piece...er...um.....welcome home. :clap
  16. snooker

Oddometer:
    Wow muddy what happened to your camera? Did you put it up for collateral for a 48 oz t-bone steak dinner you would win for free if you finished? I have a lot of pics but of course yours are different and special to you. Sorry to hear about that and the situation in OH of course. Glad you guys made it home in the big white beast safely.
  17. snooker

Oddometer:
    On behalf of the 4 of us, we want to SEVERELY and ENTHUSIASTICALLY give some major thanks to Cordless for all his hospitality in Albaquirky at his cool place. :clap:clap:clap

YOU ROCK Cordless, another testament to the amazing ADV world we have built here.

:freaky

Thanks again!
  18. muddyrabbit

muddyrabbit Lost Boy

Oddometer:
    I now have all the details on the injured rider, just spoke on the phone with one of the members of the group. The rider is going to make it! I will post more later.
  19. farrell caesar

farrell caesar Seezer

Oddometer:
    Yes. I'm home. Still catching up on my sleep. Great to have my first baja experience and thanks to all for helping with the trip. Just reading RR of canadians with the big blue bus. Glad I did not take some of the bad trails by myself. How was that steak, Matt and Meredith?
  20. muddyrabbit

muddyrabbit Lost Boy

Oddometer:
    Oh yes, Farrel covered the bill on dinner at the Big Texan! Thanks for that, put the left overs under the broiler for dinner when we got home, super yummy!

So it turnes out one of the riders from that group of 8riders that had a guy crash and we ate their dinners lives right by me here in Middlefield Ohio! Can you believe it? His group made the t shirts we all got at Coco's and I noticed his company logo on them, Molton Metal Equipment Innovations.