Coast to Coast (and back?) with an Italian Supermodel

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by AntiHero, Jul 13, 2012.

1. Trane Francks

Trane Francks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's called selective hearing. All us married folk engage in it to some degree. :rofl
  2. jesse v

jesse v Motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    You, my good sir, have picked yourself.

The Icarus Deception
  3. fritzcoinc

fritzcoinc Enjoying my last V8 Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yo! Dennis, where are the stickers?
  4. rico2072

rico2072 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I guess i'm one step ahead of you, I've learned that trick and I'm not married yet! lol
    I guess i got lucky though, because my girl likes to ride and travel, so i got very lucky.
  5. cmacfar

cmacfar Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Did you talk more about this interview or am I missing something. I'd love to know what kind of questions he asked you. I know being as awkward of a small talker as I am that it would be pretty short interview :D

NH: So you road a Ducati across the country?

Me: Yep

NH: That's Cool

Me: Yep

NH: Alright, see ya later

Me: Ok
  6. AntiHero

AntiHero Long timer

Oddometer:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I love the design, and the material is decent, but I don't think they'd stand up to enough abuse, so I'm going to source them from another vendor. But I have a stockpile now if anyone wants some!
  7. fritzcoinc

fritzcoinc Enjoying my last V8 Supporter

Oddometer:

PM sent.
    PS: Is Ducati cool with you using their fairing design as the center design of your sticker?
  8. AntiHero

AntiHero Long timer

Oddometer:
    They fucking better be! I've sold quite a few bikes for them and helped Ducati accomplish from a branding/marketing/PR perspective what they couldn't have possibly done on their own. All at no cost, too.

As for the Scythes in the background--I just hope the grim reaper doesn't have any issues with it or I'm in big trouble!
  9. fifthcircle

fifthcircle Beer Knurd

Oddometer:
    :ROFL
    Big gulps huh? Welp, see you later...

Sent from my fat thumbs on a small touch screen.
  10. GeorgiaBound

GeorgiaBound Adventurer

Oddometer:
    PM sent my man keep up the great RR!
  11. Tiger_DFT

Tiger_DFT West Aussie old fart

Oddometer:
    AH, thanks.

I feel like I understand myself a little better due to a motorcycle RR....that hasn't happened before....in fact, I don't think I've ever read anything so well written and so in synch with my clumsy and at times disjointed wonderings.

I have really enjoyed all aspects of your writing and enjoyed most of the other inmates positive discussions.

We are lucky free thought is still available to all!

AH....if you ever come to Australia, you are most welcome at my place. Keep that in mind because I hope you will keep travelling AND writing!!

Be great to see you and let me show you some Aussie treasures.
    Thanks once again....on so many levels:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap
  12. Trane Francks

Oddometer:
    The remarkable indigenous species known as the "sheila" comes to mind. :deal:lol3 (Sorry. For me, female + any variety of Aussie accent = *SWOON*)
  13. desmodab

desmodab Oversized Canuck

Oddometer:
    Looks great AH - I've always thought the lights on the Pani look a bit like a skull, so with the scythe IMO it all fits.

DD
  14. rico2072

rico2072 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Your KILLING me AH!!!!!!!!!

What happened tot he pictures!
  15. Tallbastid

Tallbastid Stay Grateful

Oddometer:
    Happened to pass by a Duc dealer last weekend and dropped in to check out the Panigale. My god what a bike... I'm too tall to sit on it with any comfort, but I've never seen so much emotion resting on two wheels in my life. My girlfriend was smitten.
  16. Trane Francks

Oddometer:
    Yeah, this. It is singularly the most beautiful bike currently being manufactured. I don't think I'd ever buy a bike that breaks every speed limit in 1st gear, but it sure as hell is some serious eye candy.
  17. Back in da saddle

Back in da saddle Adventurer

Oddometer:
  18. wantingaduc

wantingaduc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey AH,

I was wondering if your book contains the posts related to the pictures you've posted here?
    The posts and your insights into your life, the trip and philosophy make it that much more interesting a RR and I'm hoping the book contains those comments too.

jimi
  19. AntiHero

AntiHero Long timer

Oddometer:
    Back from Death Valley. Restlessness averted (for a few days). Pics comin' up!

That's pretty much how it went. :) Ducati has the video, no idea when it'll be released (or how much of the conversation will make it).

Tiger_DFT: Encouragement greatly appreciated, as is the hospitality offer. After this weekend I keep thinking more and more about Australia and all it has to offer....

Moodfart/Trane Francks: Funny you say that. Ran out to grab a bite tonight on the Pani. Walking back to the parking lot I was just stunned at how gorgeous and sinister she is. Evil! Love it.

Back in da Saddle: Thank you. And I hope this is just the beginning....

wantingaduc: You can view the entire book on Blurb. It's 90% pictures and 10% quotes. Or more like 95/5. Novel will incorporate a lot of the ideas here (which is, needless to say, making writing it a challenge).
  20. AntiHero

AntiHero Long timer

Oddometer:
    So I've been sedentary since I returned to the Bay Area. Great things have happened (Austin, Pittsburgh, SF), but in my blood is still this restless agony that requires constant inattention. (I have to ignore it, but it's always there.)

My buddy Mike (who made his appearance in Chapter 1) finally said "fuck it" and inquired about Death Valley (for the 90th time). He and I are similar in a hell of a lot of ways, but whereas I cut the padlock to the parachute vault, pass out life preservers and then jump when I see smoke in the plane, he handcuffs himself to the flight controls and takes his chances with crash landings in order to save a plane that's not his (filled with people who, if they survive, will blame him for the whole incident). On the rare occasion he does try to bail his parachute either gets burned in the exhaust or sucked into into the engine (usually in the form of an ex-wife who is so discontent with receiving near-five-figure checks every month (and a six figure one here and there), she recently attempted to go after half his frequent flier miles (not kidding)). You can't make this shit up.

I wasn't letting him off the hook, though. Death Valley is perhaps the greatest escape from the civilized world I know of. Exactly what he (and I, to a lesser extent) needed.

Most think of the desert as just a boring expanse of nothingness filled with peril. That's true. But there can be so much more. Case in point: after leaving the Bay Area around 9pm and sleeping in Red Rock Canyon (2am), we woke up to this:

[​IMG]

It's right out of Raising Arizona. And yes, there were two people sleeping in there. (We woke 'em up and they weren't pleased).