Scenic City Rides (Chattanooga)

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by SquirrelyGrl, Oct 29, 2012.

1. R Brown

R Brown KLRider

Oddometer:
    Would be happy to answer your questions about the area or meet when you get here and take you on a tour. I think you would like living in the area.
    PM me if you have questions before you come to visit.
  2. Wild Pig

Wild Pig Looks like avatar.

Oddometer:
    Big thanks for the replies and PMs. The wife (rider and fellow inmate Shelion, who is ready to pack and move now:D) and I are planning on coming down close after the first of the year. Definitely going to give you all a shout when we do. We are looking into some preliminary plans and considering places to stay over a long weekend. We have a line on an apartment downtown, but were wondering if there are any areas we should avoid. Suggestions?

I hadn't considered the vacation property rental angle. A cabin on the river would be ace!

DriftDragon, I'll see what me and a five gallon bucket of water can do to improve your ISO rating. Seriously though, I'd probably want to get hooked up with a volunteer outfit, if only to maintain my paramedic license.
  3. DriftDragon

DriftDragon Wanderer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the invite last night, it was fun eating German nachos and drinking chocolate beer and talking motorcycling. We had a few ADV old timers show up as well which was great.

I think I embarrassed squirrlly so bad with my bad behavior that she ran away! :cry

I decided I wanted to try things the hard way today so I came into PC the back way and went up this time... a bit trickier than going down!

[​IMG]
  4. flux_capacitor

flux_capacitor I know a shortcut!

Oddometer:
    DriftDragon. That's my kind of riding. Sweet.
  5. DriftDragon

DriftDragon Wanderer

Oddometer:
    So what's the plan for tomorrow guys? I doubt I can stay to camp but would like to try to catch the group and ride with everyone a little in the afternoon if everyone is headed out by Tellico.
  6. SquirrelyGrl

SquirrelyGrl Squirrely Girl

Oddometer:
    Victoria Secret green pj's of Ponies & Puppies
    Tim, I could kick you in the ass! We had left around 2 from Chattanooga, it was only ABHulgan and me. But omg!!! It was soooooooo cold the past 2 nights.
    And you didn't scare me Tim, I just had a long day ahead of me on Wednesday, going to dahlonega and other places in ga.

You also need to send me and pm or check you're sometime! If you give me a mobile # I would I could reply quicker. Also are you going out to prentice cooper this weekend?

While camping in Tellico, I saw a KTM 990 and another KLR on holly creek/flats road. That wouldn't have been you flux?
  7. DriftDragon

DriftDragon Wanderer

Oddometer:
    lol... what did I do this time? I was a little concerned it may be pretty cold in the mountains. I sent you my mobile so you will have it. I been watching the forum and my pm all week!
  8. MrTwisty

MrTwisty Short Bus Cowboy

Oddometer:
    Did you guys camp at Crawfords?:ear
    If so, I bet it was cold as a....well, you know.:D
  9. mb90535im

mb90535im '05 R1200 GS

Oddometer:
    It was 24 at the cabin in Gilmer Co. this morning. Burr.
  10. SquirrelyGrl

Oddometer:
    :rofl It sure was as cold as a frosty beaver! (I hope that's what you were meaning Twisty)

Nah, we didn't camp at Crawfords, but we did go by there. It didn't look like many patrons were there. It seemed that the RV's that were there looked to be stored and not in use. But I dunno, we didn't stop as we were hustling on to Davis Creek Rd back towards camp on North River Rd.

MB ~ It was so cold!!! :vardy The temp was 28 Saturday morning and around 31 Sunday morning. I know a cabin sure woulda felt nice, as we were under a tarp the past 2 nights.
    We also did Trail 82 and it was clear, we passed another dirtbike on it, didn't recognize them.

How was the cabin MB? Did you get out and ride some this weekend? Twisty? ~ Also Twisty, do you have a son that works in Chattanooga? I coulda sworn I saw a guy who looked very similar to you at one of the pubs here in town.
  11. mb90535im

mb90535im '05 R1200 GS

Oddometer:
    I actually took a couple of vacation days last Tue/Wed and rode around 300 miles last Tuesday mostly <s>being lost,</s> exploring the area between Ocoee/Hwy 30 and Hwy 68. Left the bike home over the weekend and just hung around the cabin and ate all weekend (in front of the fireplace). Holly Flats that you mention above is on the Bald River headwaters and if you follow that road all the way out it comes out on 68. We use to camp at Holly Flats and fish the Bald River for big brown trout many moons ago. There is a backpacking trail that runs from the Holly Flats campground all the way to Bald River Falls on the Tellico River Rd.
  12. iyaoyas98

iyaoyas98 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm building some apartments on the corner of Walnut and Aquarium for a developer. Stay North of 24 if you plan on living downtown.... :deal
  13. DriftDragon

DriftDragon Wanderer

Oddometer:
    Actually you kinda gotta be more careful than that... the nice thing is many areas are transitioning... the bad thing is many areas are transitioning. Chattanooga is like a quilt of good areas and less desirable areas in my opinion.

The ideal spots are on the river as close to the aquarium as you can get. Upriver slightly is a tiny but nice little arts disttict around the art museum. North of the river or "north shore" is nice with older homes and great new urban development. The only real risk there is ending up in in the little area between 27 and the river that is kinda predominately abandoned retail. right on the river there is really nice new apartments and businesses. East of downtown right around the Choo Choo and UTC is a upper urban enclave that degrades as you go towards 24 or east or north too far. Assisted housing sits just south of 24 in an industrial area that is seeing signs of renewal and while the housing is updated and nice and well patrolled crime is high as one would expect hence the warning about being south of 24. Further south around the base of lookout mtn is the nice enclave of saint elmos which is surrounded by rough areas. In the area just between 24 and the convention center is kinda ok but stay north of chattanooga market
    .. generally known as southside.

Hope that helps some!
  14. SquirrelyGrl

Oddometer:
    iyaoyas98 ~ discount for inmates? :evil
  15. Rufjeep

Rufjeep Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm going to throw this out there to gauge interest. I'm thinking about attempting a loop this Saturday that I've been considering for a while. The plan is to leave from Signal Mountain, go across Big Fork, into PC, down Hailey rd, across the valley and into SV behind the TTC. From there, up the gorge to somewhere around Coalmont (get gas), and then attempt to make it over to Dunlap via trail. From Dunlap it will be road back up the mountain..

No big bikes, no beginners. It'll take all day and probably be awful. If you've never ridden in the gorge behind the TTC, it is rough and rocky (and awesome). Chances are that we'll get lost, stuff will break, and we'll never make the full loop as planned. Heck, I'm not sure it can be done...but I've heard rumors and plan to give it a shot.

Anyway, if that sort of thing interests you, shoot me a PM.
  16. DriftDragon

DriftDragon Wanderer

Oddometer:
    well you had me excited right up until the no big bikes part. lol.
  17. mb90535im

mb90535im '05 R1200 GS

Oddometer:
    I think he was just challenging you...
  18. MrTwisty

MrTwisty Short Bus Cowboy

Oddometer:
    Crap! If I didn't already have plans, I'd be all over this. If you don't get any interest and decide to postpone, let me know.

Just thinking - that sounds like a long, tough ride. Wouldn't it be better to wait until the days get longer? :deal
  19. Doulos

Doulos Doulos

Oddometer:
    I heard of a riding area OHV I think - just over the top of the mountain on hwy 111. I have forgotten the name - but it sounded like a place sort of like Prentice Cooper.

Anyone know what I am talking about and what to take some fellow riders on a tour?
  20. Brown Dog

Brown Dog North Georgia Dual Sportr

Oddometer:
    I'm thinkin a few yrs back, I also saw an OHV ridin place up Hwy 108 above Whitwell :scratch

:ear