SPOKANE Area Riders

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by PNW Buttercup, Aug 13, 2010.

1. lamotovita

lamotovita DAMN SNOWBIRD!

Oddometer:
    Years ago I was at a BMW rally when some riders came to the gate and asked if they could come in even if they didn't ride BMWs. The immediate answer was "C'mon in, we don't even care if you have motorcycles or not".
    The BMW crowd has changed a bit since then, but I like to think some of the old spirit remains.
  2. Kootenai Rider

Kootenai Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you don't wind up doing that, but want to ride down at LPO (Beaver Lodge) my Boss and I are probably going to ride there Saturday. He's a newer off-road rider, so we won't be going too fast or crazy, just putting around the trails... feel free to join us...
  3. dillon

dillon Low Speed, High Drag

Oddometer:
    Well Randi is finally on two wheels...
    [​IMG]
    We got a Genuine Scooter Buddy 50 (from Steve at Stex) for her primarily to commute on. We had been talking about a small scooter for her as her commute is 8 blocks at 30mph. We looked at the Zuma and Ruckus, and both had horrible fit and finish and performance compared to the Buddy. I test rode this guy and was able to hit a real world 40mph (admittedly it was uncorked, but Steve sells all his 50s with the limiters removed), not bad for a 50cc 2stroke. And the build quality on this guy is miles above Yamaha and Hondas offerings. Oh and $2600 OTD.
    We went cruising a bit on Sunday and it was loads of fun, and honestly it has me wanting one too...
  4. DiamondLie

DiamondLie Banned

Oddometer:
    +1. Big monstrous guys typically like/need big monstrous bikes.

I was riding with a friend in the Columbia River Gorge area last weekend. Me on my 1200GSA and he on his 2nd gen KLR. The winds were blowing 30+mph right into our face and the West-Side drivers were doing their normal freeway average of 80mph. When we pulled over for gas he looked white as a ghost and pretty stressed out. He said he had to keep it pinned WFO to barely keep up and then was getting buffeted all over the place by the winds and semi truck blasts.

Yeah...I'm just fine on my big monstrous machine.
  5. IdahoRenegade

IdahoRenegade Long timer

Oddometer:

Rick, I've got one of the HF air staplers if you want to use it. Only used once, when I put the SC kit on my WRR.
  6. Kootenai Rider

Oddometer:
    He lives!!! Been a while since we heard from you. Sherry and I were just wondering what you'd been up to.
  7. WU7X

WU7X The Old Fart Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well, I need two wheels, so I dig real deep and give you $600 for your KLX. that will give you a great start on funding that scoot for you. MMaahahahaha! :lol3
  8. smithe

smithe Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have thought about getting a scooter myself for just putting around and running errands, them the Grom was announced...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
  9. Alpha One Nine

Alpha One Nine Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good to hear from you Brian. I ended up installing the foam myself and dropped both seats off at Jacobs Upholstery in Veradale for the stapling before work today. They were ready for pick on my lunch break. Clayton did a great job and treated me very well price wise.
  10. dillon

dillon Low Speed, High Drag

Oddometer:
    If you do, honestly dont waste your time with the Hondas or Yamahas. Youll get a better more reasonably priced product with a better warranty from Genuine Scooter.
  11. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Super Moderator Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    Smithe, welcome to the group. The next time we have a meetup you'll have to come out and meet everyone.

Brian, good to see a post from you. Hope all is going good for you.

Dillon, about time you posted. Tell you lovely wife Randi congratulations on the new bike. :clap
  12. drewbuddy

drewbuddy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey ya'll,

I will be moving over to the Idaho side in Post Falls/Coeur d'Alene within the next year. Can anyone give me pointers as to what type of riding I will find nearest and most plentiful? Gravel, trails, twisties, etc.?

thanks for any tips! This impacts what bike I might trade for or acquire this winter. I have a KLR right now. Plus its all camo'd, so I assume it would sell better over in Idaho than here in Seattle.:D
  13. XR4EVER

XR4EVER 919 excuses to ride!

Oddometer:
    :nod :D

It's all here, it just depends which direction you point your front tire!

Edit: Welcome, BTW!
  14. drewbuddy

Oddometer:
    perhaps my main question is, are there many very close trails that it would be worth going for a more trail worthy bike
  15. XR4EVER

Oddometer:
    If you are after single track, (my jaded opinion, of course) Canfield trail system is a little blown-out and over-used but right in CDA, Independence is out of Hayden, Liberty Lake (WA) ORV park is small but has some fun climbs, but the real fun is 30 miles over the 4th of July Pass in the Silver Valley. I have put about 7000 trail miles on my XR over there and still have barely scratched the surface of what it has to offer. Kootenai Rider will second me on this one.

So to answer your question, trails that are "very close"? Meh, a few. Trails that are close enough to justify a dedicated dirt bike in the back of your truck? Absolutely.
  16. Kootenai Rider

Oddometer:
    XR's hit the nail on the head. Can't swing a dead cat without hitting a trail around here.

Canfield is great as it is convenient and it is as hard or as easy as you want it to be.

Though I bore from riding Canfield since I ride it a lot, it is convenient. Yesterday I was on the trail by 5:30am, back at the truck before 7:00am, and made it to work in DT Spokane by 8:00am.

To the north on the WA side, there is Batey Bould ORV which is just single track, no ATV's. Its technical.

On the other side from Batey is LPO (Little Pend O'reille) with some killer fun, though not too hard of trails. Batey is exactly 1 hr from my place.

To the south of CdA is McKrosky state park which has some fun trails for little bikes, some little bit wider ones for a KLR (assuming you know how to handle those beasts offroad)

That said, I would much rather ride the Silver Valley like XR's spoke of. Or just the other side of the mtns from Silver Valley, the St. Joe River (avery) St. Maries area.

Basically, this is the part of the country to come ride. Whether it is the thousands of miles of dirt roads, to ATV trails, to some of the most fun and technical single track around.

I think XR's and I are doin' some super rocky technical (fun) trails out of Thompson Pass on the ID/MT border on Sunday.

If you come visit before you make the move and want to check out some trails, I'm sure we could find a loaner little bike to ride... :D
  17. drewbuddy

Oddometer:
    that sounds awesome. we will be over there some time in the near future to visit, I believe. Sounds like way more options that where I live near Bellevue. That is to be expected I believe, further from a major metro area. I am looking forward to it! The closest single track around here is at least an hour drive (1 place) or 2 hours for a few more options.
  18. Kootenai Rider

Oddometer:
    Our single track will beat the crap outta your single track and take its lunch money. :hide

[​IMG]

Yes, there is a trail in there somewhere. Believe it or not, its right down the center of this picture starting at the bottom center.
    [​IMG]
  19. XR4EVER

Oddometer:
    ....and the BEST part of living on this side of the border? No Discovery pass, forest pass, state inspections for street-legalized dirt bikes, etc,....
    Welcome to ID!!! When you move here, you just roll your out-of state dirt bike up to the DMV, they come out and make sure the numbers match the title, and they give you a restricted plate (road-legal for anywhere but state and federal highways) for $3.00 (!!!) and the ORV sticker is $12. Done. And you can even mount the plate sideways if you want. (Try that with the nazis in WA!) Dirt only? Just $12 for the sticker. Want it full-on street legal? Throw a mirror and a brake light on it and buy some plates.

I know I have over-promoted this thread on here, but check this out to see where KR and I are headed this weekend. You may have seen this in the PNW section. North from Thompson Pass on the ID Centennial Trail
  20. XR4EVER

Oddometer:
    I don't think we will have to worry about hitting snow.... I just heard it is 98° in Thompson Falls right now. :jkam