The Porsche Thread

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by Bongolia, Aug 6, 2009.

1. ScottDill

ScottDill TANSTAAFL Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1
  2. NCGS

NCGS De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer:
  3. NCGS

NCGS De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer:
    I have two.. I've wanted a 911 since I rode in a new 912 as a kid in 1963. Between the end of April 2010 and the end of May 2010 I lost 5 good friends to various maladies, cancer being number one on the hit parade. Since I'd lusted after 911s for over 40 years, I decided that I wasn't going to my grave without owning at least one. So I bought a new base Carrera in June 2010. No regrets.. it's more than I ever expected in a car.

For those who've never driven a 911, do it at least once in your lifetime.

[​IMG]

Then, this past summer I sold my big trailer that I used when I owned nine bikes (I'm down to two), which meant I no longer needed my big truck (Chevy HD 2500 Duramax diesel crew cab 4x4). Since I wanted a SUV that would haul my now-smaller trailer, I went to trade the truck in on a VW Touareg with the 3.0 TDI motor. The problem was, there were no cars to be found, and those that could be found were priced above MSRP (supply & demand).

So I stopped by the Porsche dealer in Raleigh to chat with my 911 sales guy (who's become a friend), and he mentioned that Porsche was going to begin importing the diesel Cayennes in August. They've been selling them around the world since '09, so I knew it wasn't a totally 'new' car. I told him to call me when they got a car in that I could drive, which he did. I drove it home that day. The diesel Cayenne was about $10K more than the Exec version of the Touareg, but in the long run I believe the Porsche will hold its value better than the vee-dub.

The diesel Cayenne is a tremendous daily driver. It has plenty of power (406 lb ft TQ), and it's rated to haul 7,700 lbs. It's simply a great car.

So now I own two.. my friends think I'm nuts, but they all want me to drive when we go somewhere (when we're not on two wheels). I'm always happy to oblige.

[​IMG]
  4. Barnstormer

Barnstormer Logistique

Oddometer:
    <iframe src="http://www.reelhouse.org/mos/urbanoutlaw/urbanoutlaw?embed=true&width=940" width="940" height="528" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>
  5. RocketJohn

RocketJohn Hook 'em Horns! Supporter

Oddometer:
    What type of mpgs are you seeing with that? I have read great reviews of this motor for the Panamera. The Cayenne Diesel sounds intriguing.
  6. squidhunter

squidhunter suck-squeeze-bang-blow

Oddometer:
    :thumb
    I really dig those wheels!
    The 911's have always been my dream car, but as a lowly public servant, it's highly unlikely I'll ever be able to afford one :cry
  7. STANIMAL

STANIMAL SUPPORT THE SECOND

Oddometer:
    being a public servant shouldn't keep you from owning one. Just prioritize differently.
  8. NCGS

NCGS De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer:
    I've seen as much as 31 mpg on an extended trip (w/ the c/c set at a steady 72 mph). Around town I'm seeing an honest 23 mpg, and my overall average so far is about 25 or 26 mpg. There are certainly cars/small SUVs that get better mileage, but I needed a car to tow my trailer with w/o killing the car.
  9. NCGS

NCGS De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer:
    Don't think that.. I'm a lowly civil servant myself (total of 43 years). I'm single, my house is paid for, my kids are grown and gone, I'm still investing in the Govt's TSP program and two IRAs, and other than my internal combustion addiction, I live within my means.

The way I look at it, if I piss the rest of it away on cars and bikes, fast women (I wish) and liquor (been there, done that), then there's no harm done. :wink:
  10. squidhunter

squidhunter suck-squeeze-bang-blow

Oddometer:
    I suppose after more time on the job (only 4 years so far) and some ladder-climbing, it might be possible for me too. Right now I consider myself fortunate to be working and able to afford the toys I have now.

Enjoy your addiction, it sounds like you've earned it! :freaky
  11. Nailhead

Nailhead Puck Futin Supporter

Oddometer:
    Check out the prices on 996's before you conclude that. You might be pleasantly surprised.
  12. Rinty

Rinty Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And if the soon to be released LN Engineering / Jake Raby "Final Solution" kit is all that it's cracked up to be, that would seal the deal.
  13. pfb

pfb Riding, not skiing.

Oddometer:
    I've been on the hunt for the right 996 for a while...

Thought I found the perfect one today, but ended up missing it. Literally 5 minutes away from meeting the seller when it was snatched out from under me. Took a look anyway, which only made things worse, as it was, unusually, much MORE than what was described, instead of much less.

It would have been the perfect car for me. A very clean but not pristine daily driver that would also more than hold it's own on track days. Performance options in combination that I will likely never see again, especially at the price this one went for.

I'm kicking myself hard for not jumping on it an hour earlier. :(:

There's another one I'm looking at as well, but it's about $2K more than what I'm willing to pay and they don't seem to want to budge. A year newer, a bit cleaner, but none of the factory performance options the other car had.
  14. longtallsally

longtallsally Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer:
    That is BY FAR the best car video I've seen in a while. It follows the Urban Outlaw in that it is not the number of dollars you put in, it is how you apply those dollars in a realistic and truly purposeful manner. Good stuff and thanks for sharing.
  15. JNRobert

JNRobert Breaking Wind

Oddometer:
    :nod

doG, I'd love to find an SC of that era. My biggest fear is an engine that would need a small fortune - I'd have to pay someone else which would kill the project for me. But nice to dream :thumb
  16. bingbong

bingbong Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'll have a go at that engine fer ya :D
  17. STANIMAL

Oddometer:
    Oh no.:nono
  18. STANIMAL

Oddometer:
    Great minds think alike.
  19. Nailhead

Oddometer:
    Sounds ominous.

In all the research I've done, I recall no mention of such a kit. IMS bearing replacement kits, tools, IMS Guardian-- all these I've read quite a lot about, but what is a "Final Solution" other than a proper open bearing, or even a pressure-fed one.

:ear
  20. Nailhead

Oddometer:
    Where would you take one for a PPI on the Denver/Boulder area? I've found a few online that I'm interested in, but I have no idea where to take them to get inspected.

Sorry to hear about the lost purchase, BTW-- the array of options on 996's make it really tempting for me to just dive in when I find one that catches my eye-- especially if it's halfway across the country.