Yamaha WR250R Mega Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Sock Monkey, Apr 7, 2008.

1. sixspeed

sixspeed Put on the WHOLE armor

Oddometer:
    Exiled from the land of gum bands & bottle of pop
    Yes.

I was riding my '10 and the last 2 times it just stalled when it got hot. Stopped riding it for this reason... and the fact it let me sit before that and wouldn't start for almost 3 hours of trying.

The last was the last straw, it puked 2 miles from home and I had to push it. Hooboy I never thought a 300# bike was so heavy.

Replaced the pump and all is golden. :clap But I kept my old one in the event Yamaha ever makes good for their design flaw.
  2. beee

beee n00b

Oddometer:
    I have a wr250x. I just bought warp9 18/21 dirt wheels for it with the large x rotor for an easy swap.

The warp9 front wheel will not accept a stock wrx rotor, how can I get another rotor? Do I have to buy from warp9?

Sorry if this has been asked before, I searched and couldn't find anything.
  3. kawagumby

kawagumby Long timer

Oddometer:
    The warp wheels are replacements for the std YZ/WRF wheels, no? If so, you'll need a yz compatible rotor. You may need to cut new spacers too, I needed to when I went to a YZ wheel on my WRZ.
  4. duanew1

duanew1 In my Pajama pants

Oddometer:
    Supposedly! Video evidence suggests otherwise.
  5. jgino157

jgino157 Yer' mom!!!

Oddometer:
    Call Warp9. They were very helpful when I had questions about mine. Of course I forgot the answers :huh , but I did ask them about the rotor and wheel bearings.
  6. johnkol

johnkol Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That was not my experience with the 400E when I sampled it some years ago: it not only had tons of power at the top, but a lot of duration too. At that time I was riding a Husaberg 400, and the DRZ definitely had the more rev-happy motor.

You could certainly use the torque of the DRZ instead of its power in almost all situations, and most of the time that was the only way to ride it since the inadequate suspension (and the weight) put a damper on any high speed adventures -- the same ailments that afflict the WRR (but without the power).
  7. GSBS

GSBS FunHog

Oddometer:
    I've changed flats several times on the trail with no issues whatsoever using the supplied tool kit. Just give that sucker a kick and it comes right off (and I do torque the nut to the specified 90 foot pounds whenever I take if off at home).
    I did change out the pinch bolts on the forks, which have 10mm heads, with some hex-head bolts after the tool kit's 10mm wrench bowed when I tried to loosen them. Luckily on that occasion a buddy had some vice grips to loosen the pinch bolts.
  8. kawagumby

kawagumby Long timer

Oddometer:
    The DRZ E and S are different animals though. I had an S and with the CV carb and lower compression etc. it wasn't much of a power house.
  9. Andysrage

Andysrage Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I agree. I have ridden a DRZ400S and it wasn't nearly the torque monster some make it out to be. Considering the displacement delta, I think the WR's torque to be adequate and a reasonble trade off since top end power on both is nearly the same. Basically, we're getting a lot more bang from each of our 250cc than the DRZ's 400.
  10. Andysrage

Andysrage Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't think the engine will actually run poorly without the exup but, to your point, with a bike so short on torque relative to its capabilities, why sacrifise the little torque on hand to gain a fraction of a HP that the engine already makes in spades? This is why I built myself a custom FMF Q4 slipon while maintaining the EXUP. http://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/t4986-aftermarket-muffler-with-exup-updated-fmf-q4-with-exup It doesn't feel like I have lost any torque. Actually, after climbing the rocky hills of Hancock Quarry Run a few weeks back, I think the bottom end is better than ever.

I think the bigger issue is running a stock cat-equipped muffler without recionnecting the AIS will result in a clogged cat in the long term. the AIS is there to provide the cat with the extra oxygen it needs to properly burn off the residual carbon emissions. Without this extra air, these emissions will slowly build up and long-term foul the cat, sapping performance.
  11. ba_

ba_ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Where can I get the LH mirror base 10mm x 1.25? I don't want to buy the whole assembly since I am putting on Doubletake Mirrors. My RH reverse thread adapter base is fine.

I feel like this are pretty universal yet I can't seem to find one easily
  12. cjbiker

cjbiker Nobody's Robot

Oddometer:
    A standard RAM ball will thread right into the clutch perch, no adapter needed.
  13. ba_

ba_ Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wanted to height to match hence the base on the LH size...
  14. japako

japako Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You can buy the adapter from your dealer, or search Google.
    I just use the left mirror, you really don't need two, unless you ride on the road more than dirt.??
  15. ba_

ba_ Long timer

Oddometer:
    The LH adapter (with the normal threads) is the one that is busted. My RH adapter (with the reverse threads) is fine. I would use just the left it it worked. :)

I found a pair on eBay. For now I'll just use my right mirror
  16. DougZ73

DougZ73 Fading off.........

Oddometer:
    I had a plated kicker DRZ. Best of the DRZs......but once I got used to the lack of torque on th WR250R...I am able to ride the Yami much faster.

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Tapatalk 2
  17. BluePill

BluePill AARP Slacker

Oddometer:

Hmmmm.............

Pray tell just how did that happen????:lol3
  18. ba_

ba_ Long timer

Oddometer:
    I ruined the threads since I didn't realize that the RAM balls I had on my BMW were 1.5 pitch instead of 1.25
  19. DougZ73

DougZ73 Fading off.........

Oddometer:
    Watch the vids online....exup does next to nothing on the WRR/X.
    People think it does more than it does, but not in my opinoon, for the liitle 250. It helps a hair with noise output, which is why Yami put it there.

To each is own though.

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Tapatalk 2
  20. Revvy

Revvy Okayest Adventurer

Oddometer:
    When you instal them, can you post some pics of the mirrors here and let me know how well they work? It'd be appreciated.