Travel_2

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by The_Precious_Juice, Jan 21, 2014.

1. The_Precious_Juice

The_Precious_Juice MC_Rider

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

MC: 2013, completely stock DR650se.
    <o:p></o:p>
    20JAN14.
    I was fortunate to have old man winter spot me a good day for travel. 50 F is not very common at my base camp. On top of that I had a Federal Holiday to dispatch with some of the traffic. I had to make tracks because another clipper was coming out of B.C.<o:p></o:p>
    __<o:p></o:p>
    I was late getting off, but did so around 1010. This should be my hardest riding day. The objective is to drop latitude. No pics, no sight seeing, no off road excursions, just distance. Typically, I would not ride so long and set up camp so close to night, but I actually had logistical support in the town of Wilmington, North Carolina. The mileage is just over 300 miles, and about 5.5 hours in a cage. But I was taking out the Mighty DR during her first 600 mile break in period, and I wanted to vary the rpms and keep the speed below 60mph. I imagined the time would be about 8 hours. I pushed with about 234 miles of the odometer. Here’s how things went down. <o:p></o:p>
    ___<o:p></o:p>
    Took US. 220 south past of Martinsville, V.A. At the Ridgeway, Eden sign I got on good old 87 south, which is a great number. Great year for movies and music. I found the route a few years back when I used to commute via a cage from J’ville, North Carolina. <o:p></o:p>
    11:30. I hit the North Carolina boarder. <o:p></o:p>
    12:45: I rode underneath I40 (west/east) south of Burlington, N.C.<o:p></o:p>
    I interesting town just north of this is Graham. It has a roundabout, with a nice looking statue. <o:p></o:p>
    13:25: First stop of the day at Pittsboro, N.C. I put in about $7.87 worth of 87 octane (2.37 Gallons) price, then pushed the bike over to a spot and ate some packed snacks (protein powder/ mixed nuts/ Kashi cookie) and hydrated (water of course). I was feeling o.k. I put in about 3 hours on the DR. The seat is not horrible, but my feet kind were kind of hurting a little. I was keeping the balls of my feet on the pegs. I just have mixed things up more. I checked my riding gear, and I was ok. I checked my chain, and found it to be over 2” of play. I was surprised by that. Being a noob, and needing to make time I did not do anything about it. I decided to go easier on rolling on the throttle, which I’m conservative with anyway. After my rest I pushed on a little after 14:00.<o:p></o:p>
    ____<o:p></o:p>
    I was next trying to get Fayteville, so after taking some routes off the 87 (1 and 501 I think) I got on 24 east. 24 east will actually take you right into J’ville, N.C. I wanted to head east out of F’nam and get on the 421, but I made a mistake in town and got back on the 87. This took me due south. <o:p></o:p>
    I wanted to check my position, because at one point I crossed under the I-95. I did not want to go too far west. I stopped to get fuel. <o:p></o:p>
    16:02 I made a rookie mistake and took my helmet off at the pump. So after topping off the tank (1.34 gallons $4.42), I got a sip of water. A cage pulled up behind me, and turned their car off. Opps, So I had to put my helmet back on and push her out of the way. So from here on out, I’ll keep my helmet on, so it will be an easy transition to go push the bike to a resting spot, and getting out of the way. So after checking out my state map, I was good with my location. I’d come in from the southwest of the town of Wilmington. Sadly, my contact lived on the very north side of the town.<o:p></o:p>
    The next couple of hours were long. I had to peel off after Dublin and take off my shades. I forgot that I had them one, so just like that, I picked up another 30 mins of day light.<o:p></o:p>
    The stock day time light is piss weak on the DR, but the high beams at night are sufficient. <o:p></o:p>
    I took the 74/76 into town, and then got on the I-140 loop, and got off at the University of N.C. Wilmington exit, I then turned north on business 17 (Martin Luther King DR or Market street).<o:p></o:p>
    ____<o:p></o:p>
    I pulled into the drive away about almost 19:00, so about 9 hours total. 333 miles. I hope to not do that again for a good spell. <o:p></o:p>

During the later stages, I would lift myself off the seat just a hair at times to get a reprieve. I was good to go after my rest stops; and when stopping at lights I got a good 15 min refresher. So the seat is not as bad as I thought it would be, or the forums would have you believe. <o:p></o:p>
    I typically shifted the bike into 4<SUP>th</SUP> gear around 40mph or so. I could go 5<SUP>th</SUP> as early as 50mph. I like the gear ratios. In 45mph zones I can do 5<SUP>th</SUP> gear and speed about 5mph, and in 35mph zones I can do 4<SUP>th</SUP> gear, but speed 5mph to 40mph (if the conditions are right). No one seemed to have a problem with the high beams on the interstate. I guess the high beams are like regular lights for a cager. When I took my shades off, I should have put on some reflector belts to help me out with being spotted, but I wanted to make time. <o:p></o:p>
    My friends, helped me get my gear off, and I pulled her around the house and put a grey tarp over her. The skies were clear and the wind was nothing. <o:p></o:p>
    It was a good relief to make it that far. After some warm great food, and conversation I was happy to ge a warm shower and hit the hay around 2335. <o:p></o:p>

Tarmac: 333 miles<o:p></o:p>
    Off road: 0 miles<o:p></o:p>
    Total miles: 333 miles.<o:p></o:p>
    Total cost: $12.29<o:p></o:p>
    Total miles/tour: 333
    Total off road miles/tour: 0 miles
    Total cost/tour: $12.29<o:p></o:p>
    Day count: 1<o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>[/COLOR]
  2. Jenn

Jenn praise seitan!

Oddometer:
    That red is hard to read!

Your report is very technical - did you see anything worth reporting? Got pictures? Meet any interesting/fun/nice folks on your first day?
  3. WildMonkey

WildMonkey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And wondering if your going to be anywhere near Pensacola, FL ? :1drink
  4. AST236

AST236 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:

Same here, as I live just north of P'cola..
  5. WildMonkey

WildMonkey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Into Dixie are you going ? :ear

Steve.
  6. Kommando

Kommando Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you're around here this week or the following weekend, let some people in the Sandbox regional forum know. They can show you some places to see and trails to ride.
  7. mashrider

mashrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Boring
  8. sophijo

sophijo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Enjoying this! Thanks
  9. drdubb

drdubb OFWG Supporter

Oddometer:
    Keep on enjoying the ride,
  10. NICHE

NICHE EasyRider

Oddometer:
    Juice. What's your 20? I am in Destin heading along the coast to Corpus Christi and then on up to Austin. Heading out this morning. PM me if you want to meet up for a stretch.
  11. halmc

halmc Turkey T*urd

Oddometer:
    Tallahassee, Florida -- home of good ideas
    'Juice is too modest: He's a Navy veteran, and thus a very decent fellow, and ought to be welcomed into anyone's home and welcomed w/o reservation.

Thanks for your service, mate, and thanks for catching me up on the "new" Navy.
  12. KiloBravo

KiloBravo Armchair Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good report Juice.
  13. NICHE

NICHE EasyRider

Oddometer:
    Juice. I rode through southern Louisiana today. Hail, rain, mid-30s temp. Gross. I'm holed up in Lafayette. Ride the rt182. Galveston tomorrow. I'll be camping if you catch up.
  14. b1pig

b1pig Long timer

Oddometer:
    glad youre out of the rain. we're getting soaked down here. looks like it will continued on and off through the weekend.
  15. NICHE

NICHE EasyRider

Oddometer:
    I took it it's free. 24/7. I'm actually in Galveston now. Long cold day yesterday. Heading out this am. Going to ride the coast down to Freeport, then up 36 and across 90 to Gonzales and then up to Austin. I will be in Austin for 4 days. If you make it over there hit me up we can go ride the 3 sisters.
  16. halmc

halmc Turkey T*urd

Oddometer:
    Remember to head SW at Galveston, all tha' way to the gulf, thence continue as close to the coast line as possible. Last time I was over that way the road was freshly rebuilt from a Hurricane. The thousands of structures along that route -- well, not so much.
  17. blake716

blake716 nine toes

Oddometer:

Damn. I wish I would've seen this thread earlier.

I would've bought you a meal and a beer in Baton Rouge.

I always stumble upon these threads too late.

If you come back through my area, send me a PM.
  18. NICHE

NICHE EasyRider

Oddometer:
    Juice I rode the "3 Twisted Sisters" in the Texas Hill Country yesterday. Shouldn't be missed man. Epic.
  19. HH

HH Dahlonega GA Supporter

Oddometer:
    this is an interesting ride report :lol3
  20. halmc

halmc Turkey T*urd

Oddometer:
    Ya gotta go a little bit more SW. At least to Padre Island.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]