KLX650 riders UNITE

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by COBAUM, Aug 17, 2006.

1. fle

fle evil ninja knight

Oddometer:
    Hey buddies!

I started to work in a prototype manufacturing company so I think I'll wait for more knowledge and maybe I'll make my own tank:wink: I'm not sure yet but in winter I'll have plenty of time to think about it...
    Tomorrow, the disassembling begins. I want my baby perfectly fit for the next trip.:deal

I'm thinking about the saying "Loud pipes save lifes":ear and probably will change the original fat one. Do anybody know if the R model pipe (I mean just the slip on part) fit the C model pipe???

Cheers
  2. Myway

Myway Long timer

Oddometer:
    In your country maybe no problem i can not believe that.
    But here is loudness an issue, riders starting to choose for quit pipes.
    Because we wanna ride for a long time.

When slovenia is with the EU, they have to obbey the EU rules, and in nature there are new rules, so homegoverment have to make new rule for natur behaviour, Loud pipes is there a big issue.

When you wanna ride with me than no loud pipes, and we have as much fun those days. So why.

R pipe is one of the best pipes for the R!! But do not look that glamy.
  3. itsatdm

itsatdm Long timer

Oddometer:

Hey thats my bike:deal
  4. BHW

BHW Long timer

Oddometer:
    Couple of questions for the KLX650 gurus:

The left side engine cover, the part that says "Kawasaki" on it...is that the "generator cover"? That's how it's labeled on bikebandit. I'm looking at a 93 KLX and that part is cracked and leaking oil. It's $176 on bikebandit. Any good places to source that part cheaper?
  5. cynicwanderer

cynicwanderer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    yes, that's the cover which houses the stator and covers the flywheel. there is a another cover on that side, that is the "transmission cover". it houses bearing for the shift lever. I was able to find a transmission cover on fleabay for around $20 (list for $76, I think), so perhaps the generator cover could be gotten there as well.

you could possibly "fix" it temporarily until you find a cheaper one with some quick steel or jb weld. make sure you clean it really well (i.e. sand the area around it) and degrease with acetone or equiv. you might have to drain the oil, depending on where the crack is to make the repair.

I don't know if the cover has magnesium in it. if not, you might be able to take it to a welding shop that specializes in aluminium to weld it for you. I had my aluminium radiator repaired, and it turned out nice. shops that make aviations repairs usually have the expertise to do this.

parts for this bike from kawa$aki are expensive and sometimes take a long time to order.
  6. williefast

williefast Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey welcome KLXer. JB weld has worked for me in the past on other bikes. If you do take off the cover though will you do me a favor and take a picture of the stator and measure it for me??:evil
    As for my heated gear dreams I figured out if I run an LED taillight bulb, 35w headlight bulb and took out the license light (for now) I get good heat in the grips and the jacket works too. I still would like to upgrade the stator if possible
  7. cynicwanderer

Oddometer:
    how many watts is your heated gear ? I have friends who run heated vests and grips (I don't know if at the same time) on klr650's all the time with the stock stator. if the stator has the same output on the klx, then I don't see why it would be a problem, unless you have a weak regulator or there is something else wrong with it that is dragging the reg. down. is your battery dead/weak ?

8. fle

fle evil ninja knight

Oddometer:
    I Slovenia the limit is 86-89db, it depends from the veichle. And we're part of the EU since 2004 so probably we all have the same laws more or less.
    I agree with you if we are talking about rides in the nature, but if you are riding in a confused city (New Delhi, Marrakech etc.) I think that being noticeable in such confusion is improving your safety very much.
  9. Myway

Myway Long timer

Oddometer:
  10. williefast

Oddometer:
    I am running a gerbings jacket liner and symco grip heaters. I have the same setup on my streetbike and it heats so good I get hot even when temps are in the 20f range. On the KLX the jacket heats up but the grips cool down. the grips draw 20w and the jacket draws 6.8 amps. I think the lights will help me I'll let you all know and post some pics of the KLX in the snow this winter:D
  11. KillaKLXRider

KillaKLXRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello everyone. I just bought a 1996 KLX 650 and I do not know much about it. I have been looking all over and I found this forum and the yahoo one (I joined both). I was not able to attach any pics of it but I have them if anyone knows why I cannot attach them. It runs great and starts on the first kick. I am a noob KLX owner so please take that into consideration. Is there anyway to fit it with an electric start system? I have noticed that many of the pics I have seen show them with turn signals but mine does not have them. Is it difficult to add them back on? Do you have any suggestions on a good turn signal kit? Also, There is a hose that come out of the bottom of the carb that leaks gas while it is not on sometimes. Any ideas on why this is? Thank you for any help you can offer. I am very excited about my KLX.
    Austin
  12. fle

fle evil ninja knight

Oddometer:
    KillaKLXRider, I don't know about the turn signals, I have the original, round ones.
    About the leaking, try to turn the petcock off, it solves the problem on my bike, because the hose there, as I understand is intended to drain your carb from excessive gas/water etc.
    I hope it helps.

Cheers
  13. KLXmcrider

KLXmcrider Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Welcome to the KLX650 family.As someone on the KLX.yahoo group suggested try to find a C model engine or the lower cases.I think it would be very expensive and time consuming to convert an R model to electric start.
    Obtaining the necessary parts for a model almost 15 years out of production would be difficult.Hopefully somebody might be parting out a C model where you could get the engine or cases.I will watch for your posts for progress on this project....David ...'94 C
  14. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    KLX riders, if you want some good replacement signals to take the place of the stock "lollipops" consider getting some Buell Ulysses signals before they're all gone. They look good and have a flexible stem. They're far better than any aftermarket crap. The bulbs pull a bit more power because they're higher wattage than some stock ones, so a no-load automobile relay is needed. I put them on the Zephyr and will be getting a set for the KLX. My originals are starting to crack on the stems and the last ONE i bought cost MORE than TWO of the Buell signals. It was a repop at $35, the Buells were $32 for two of them.

At Farrow's HD, just north of Columbus at I-71/SR36 interchange, the parts guy knew exactly what I wanted. He said a lot of dual sport guys bought them due to looks, price, and flexibility. I should have gotten them in the first place after I went through two sets of cheapies. One was a set of Lockhart signals, I wrote them and got no reply... no more from Lockhart. I won't deal with them if they don't care to even write to say yes or no.
  15. Fogo72

Fogo72 I Bleed Green

Oddometer:

Hi, I have a KLX 650R that I have converted to electric start, The KLX 650R and the KLX650C are nearly the same engine bar a few internals, I found a complete second hand engine on Ebay that had broke a cam chain. A C engine will bolt straight into a R frame. Remove the coolant tank behind the left hand side cover and fit a battery box in there from a DRZ 400. Replace the piston with a Wossner +2mm over size piston and get the cylinder bored out to a make it a 680cc and you have an electric start screaming KLX. Cheers. Fogo......
  16. TTKlaus

TTKlaus Been here awhile

Oddometer:

A KLX650C has a rated alternator output of 240W or 17A @ 14V. That should be plenty to run heated gear. I figure the headlight draws 55W or 5A, the tailight 20W/2A, all the other stuff another 15W/1A or so. That leaves 150W/9.5A to keep the battery charged and to run heated gear and other accessories. Should be plenty. If you switched to a LED taillight you could save 1.5A or so. Just leave your 200W boombox at home:lol3.

Klaus
  17. williefast

Oddometer:
    Its all working now. There is barely enough. The grips I am using draw a lot. may switch to heated gloves. If my math is correct my jacket on high draws 6.8 amps and grips 20w/2amps thats 8.8amps. not much left but enough:D cant wait to try this thing in the snow! any tire suggestions?
  18. cynicwanderer

Oddometer:
    keep in mind that the alternator ratings are not at idle (i.e. more like 4000rpm) so it's likely that the light will sag at idle, especially if the battery isn't charged, when all the heated accessories are plugged in and on.
  19. williefast

Oddometer:
    yup just what ive been complaining of. I am using all of the charging sys. when not cruising down a long stretch at 50mph+ it aint quite enough. but if I hold it at 70 or better it heats like crazy:lol3 oh well I know what I am dealing with now and will try to make the best of it:freaky
  20. VStromNC

VStromNC DNS/DNF

Oddometer:
    Just got back from the Fuzzy Beaver Rally in Murphy NC. Had over 40 DS riders show up. Stopped on a trail to help a stranded rider and got rear ended by a KLR 650. No damage other than a broken tailight lens. Any suggestion for sourcing just a tailight lens? I already checked Flea Bay and no luck.

Thanks.

Jon