Mirage 2 by Britannia Composites: Low cost, high quality alternative to Desierto III...

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by Mollygrubber, Aug 17, 2010.

1. Mollygrubber

Mollygrubber Eschew obfuscation

Oddometer:
    Thank you, and +1. :thumbup
  2. betasigscoot

betasigscoot Palaverer

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  3. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
  4. johngil

johngil Reseda, CA

Oddometer:
    I just ordered one of these. My Cee Bailey took a rock last weekend and split down the middle.
    While not as tall or multi-funtional as the TT D III, the angle is adjustable.
    We'll see.
    I could swear the part was available when I ordered it. Now the page is saying 2-3 weeks. Maybe I got the last one?

[​IMG]

http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/motorcycle/F800GS/8162321.html
  5. soyanarchisto

soyanarchisto Long timer

Oddometer:
    Be sure and take pics! Cant wait to see how that looks.
  6. OlyRider

OlyRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    It *looks* like a cockpit cover. I had one on my R12GS, and I loved it! All it covers is the instrument cluster, but it gives the rider plenty of "clean" air! I'm 6'3", and had difficulty even with the taller after-market screens.

On my F800, I've installed the new, similar windscreens made by Aeroflow. *Not* the barn door Aeroflow like I have on my 1150GS, but a smaller tinted windscreen that I like a lot.
  7. hwa

hwa n00b

Oddometer:
    On whose bum did mould it?

hwa

8. Mollygrubber

Oddometer:
    Well I got an email from Ian a few days ago saying there's light at the end of the tunnel... these fairings should be available for purchase very soon.

For you local (Vancouver BC) guys, he says Pacific Yamaha BMW will be carrying them. Good reason to go and shoot the shit with Sheldon. nice...

Maybe we'll see a few pictures of the final product up here soon? :ostrich
  9. rockinrog

rockinrog Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pics are over on the vendor thread.
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=628504&page=4

10. Mollygrubber

Oddometer:
  11. nytrashman

nytrashman old and in the way

Oddometer:
    5'2" rider on a lowered F650GS, i'd be interested to know the height of the screen at it's lowest position to determine if i will be looking over it. can a custom, shorter screen be made so i can have some up & down adjustment ?
  12. Ian B

Ian B Fairing Manufacturer

Oddometer:
    We've just done one for a lowered 650 and a rider of similar stature and they find that they really don't need to raise the screen at all.

We could quite easily do a modified fairing height for you that is lower, but you would lose the GPS perch.

Here is a photo of the lowered one and you might get an idea of how high the fairing is. For reference the sloping front of fairing itself is 12" coming up from the front of the headlights.

Hope this helps

Ian

Attached Files:

13. huckleberry

huckleberry BACK ROAD BOMBER

Oddometer:
    Justthought i'd post my first impression-- looks like it stands up much straighter than the 20" c baily i had,also seems to sit a bit farther away from rider. Barkbusters clear, yay, it is quieter than the c baily seems like it is going to be a good screen, easily adj. and great service from ian called took a week to get cause of the mail but no problems
  14. Manventure

Manventure Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A better wind/cockpit solution is next on my list of upgrades and I would love to go with someone who has a great product and is mostly local, which would be Ian in both cases. Does anyone have pictures of their Brittania cockpit set-ups on a 650 or 800 in terms of GPS, switches, etc?

I am also curious about durability since I seem to be like a tiny motorized Weeble Wobble sometimes........

:-)
  15. eddyturn

eddyturn Eternal Wannabe Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am finally going to mount my Garmin 478 on the Mirage 2 cockpit. I have it mounted on my bars but it's time to make the move. I have the TT bracket and some cabling and BR2 electrical connectors and hope I can bring it all together like I envision. I will only have 1 switch and the will be Burns ABS on/off switch. My extra light switches are on the handlebar where I like them.

I hate doing electric but this - I think I can pull off. I have a 6 pack of Mikes so I am good to go. After 3 and it's not helping, I'll put the bike in a trailer and take it over to Harry at Basin Motorcycle Works in Mancos. :deal
  16. Casejeep

Casejeep Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Scroll down a few pictures.

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=18416730&postcount=237
  17. WERA456

WERA456 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    North Ga. (The site of the first major gold rush)
    Ok I am considering the Mirage or the Madstad for my f800. The real need is to mount my GPS above the gadges. The windshield adjustability is a plus as well.

A couple of questions
    1. Is it possible to use the stock screen with the Mirage? I have seen at least one picture where someone did. Did they just drill the necessary holes in the factory screen?

2. Can I get the Mirage without a windscreen (I will use the factory one), and no slots. My thought is to buy the Madstad brackets which should allow for even more adjustability. Anyone have any thoughts on this idea. Why I should not do this?

3. Should I just go with the Madstad? It does not have the cool inner plastic fairing, but I could figure a way to mount the gps to the madstad mount, it is similiar to what I have on my old f650.

Thanks for any help or feedback.
  18. Ian B

Ian B Fairing Manufacturer

Oddometer:
    1) The Mirage screen is completely different from the stock, so they are largely incompatible. Of course anything can be made to fit and it may ell be that people have tried it. Having tested every conceivable screen shape and size, I can assure you it will not work as well, particularly with the new Mirage screens we use these days

2) You could certainly get the Mirage without the screen and no sliding slots, but at a saving of $48, it doesn't seem a very economical way forward along with the possible problems of poor airflow from the unknown screen combo.

3) You sound fairly keen on the Madstad screen except the GPS mount feature on the Mirage. The Mirage is mounted much more solidly than most screens, because it is designed to take the hammering of off road use with the weight of a GPS mounted on it along with the ability to get the screen down out of the way, which is always a problem with tall screens.

I don't want to 'undersell' the Mirage, but it seems that you do not really want/need most of the benefits of a Mirage and I would advise choosing one or the other, rather than risk a 'hybrid'.

Cheers Ian
  19. whitham_wannabe

whitham_wannabe Long timer

Oddometer:
    I got my Brittannia screen a few months ago, and just got back from a 4200 mile jaunt around the west coast with it, the first time I have taken a really long multi day trip since I got it. After that distance, a combination of freeways, dirt roads, freezing rain, snow and temps down in the 20s, I cannot stress how well it worked. It saved me from the worst of ice accumulation in Utah, kept the wind out of my face down the high ways, and even did a 100mph run across the Bonneville Salt Flats.

No affiliation, just like stuff that works. :clap

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  20. Guyonabike

Guyonabike Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What he said. Fantastic product!