2014 Honda CTX700 Threadfest

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by HondaFanatic, Feb 6, 2013.

1. GrahamD

GrahamD Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ummm..Perhaps it is more about geology and technology than ideology. You may have picked the wrong ology there.

[​IMG]

Oh and FYI, a lot of oil industry people hang out here...
    http://www.theoildrum.com/

Its like a geeky adv-driller.com. You meet some of the nicest people on a drilling rig.

This ones for you Ray..
    http://www.theoildrum.com/node/9833
  2. RaY YreKa

RaY YreKa AA Zoom Baby

Oddometer:
    Maybe the China thing is correct then.

China's consumption certainly hyped the price of carbon-fibre. Though for an average biker, carbon-fibre is basically peacock feathers anyway.

I mean, I could make similar weight savings by eating less pies.
  3. dirtdreamer50

dirtdreamer50 long time rider

Oddometer:
    Don't think so. The US has enough untapped petroleum reserves to be 100% self sufficient, but the current admin is working against that happening. The production down/imports up is caused by politics and the fact that for a time, it was cheaper to import than drill. We've long since passed that point, had the government not stepped in to hobble the O/G companies from doing what they do better an anyone else. Ya gotta be here to really understand what's going on here. Not politicing, just clarifying. Can't live in Houston, the petrochemical center of the nation, if not the world, and not be aware of what's going on. Not trying to start a fire storm, just have too many friends in the oil patch.
  4. RaY YreKa

RaY YreKa AA Zoom Baby

Oddometer:
    That's gonna get ya in the Basement ya know :D.

It's all conjecture.

But if you folks get fuel rises like we have, those 20mpg cars and 30mpg bikes will get old very very fast.

Even bikes made 10 years ago are predicated on a different era.
  5. RaY YreKa

RaY YreKa AA Zoom Baby

Oddometer:
    And to keep this on a Honda vibe, I read a couple of years ago that they were making a clear distinction between utility transport and 'fun' bikes.

Fun bikes, like the Fireblade, or the CBR1000R, or the VFR1200F.

At the time, I was a bit annoyed, like Honda didn't think I could ride. Or, like BMW, they wanted the 'premium' customer.

But fook me, they've kept their word. The bigger Honda bikes, here, require a hefty deposit. The smaller ones, you can practically walk away with by sharing a cigar with the dealership.

Meanwhile, BMW, or MV, or Ducati, or Triumph (much as I love all of them) seem to ask premium customer money with only the slightest hint of premium service. BMW, in particular, have taken advantage of goodwill imho.

Generally it seems like two choices have been made; attract new riders with low deposit/APR, or hook riders who eye 'cost to change' with deals on extras or those deals where they guarantee trade-in value (as long as you don't ride much, and have the bike serviced at the dealership).

I have no value judgement on this, really, I just like bikes..
  6. dirtdreamer50

Oddometer:
    I hope not. I love this place. tp
  7. RaY YreKa

RaY YreKa AA Zoom Baby

Oddometer:
    Worry not. It's darker, but one can climb back.
  8. dirtdreamer50

Oddometer:
    Bless you, and I agree with you on the comments about the BMW Premium service/price situation.
    While my R1200RT is great, the maintenance costs and failure rates for this model alone is rather high and poor, both. A water cooled CX1200 V twin with full plastics would be a great sub for the RT, A Moto Guzzi without its quirks and Honda fit, finish, and reliability would tickle me a bunch...
  9. syntec4

syntec4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was in Hunts (Honda) today checking on the status of my new toy :lol3 and John (the owner) was telling me he's ordered 22 (the maximum allocation) of the new 500's as he expecting them to be a massive hit. He also said he's selling 5 NC700's a week! The middleweight bikes are definitely making a comeback...
    Big scooters are also doing well, he's got deposits on most of the Honda Forza scooters (I think he said 10) that he's getting in early May.
  10. RaY YreKa

RaY YreKa AA Zoom Baby

Oddometer:
    Interesting. Did he say if he expected them to go to A2 new licence holders, or existing riders?
  11. syntec4

syntec4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    He didn't say and I didn't think to ask. I didn't know there was a new system again until you mentioned it. :-)
  12. Dranrab Luap

Dranrab Luap Gruntled and Imperturbable

Oddometer:
    When I read this, I had to check your location. That's impressive. I had to look up the Forza too. Our Honda scooter offerings Jump from the PCX 150 up to the Silverwing.
  13. Paebr332

Paebr332 Good news everyone!

Oddometer:
    Fuel price differences between the US and the UK are almost completely due to fuel tax differences. Crude oil and refined petroleum products are global markets for fungible commodities.
  14. bluesman

bluesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I cannot comment on BMW, but speaking of service and etc. costs here, in Belgium - I had Hondas, Suzuki, worked for friends on Yamahas and Kwaks and there is absolutely zero service price difference between Triumph I have now and good deal I had on Honda. I really do not know where this opinion comes from, perhaps from way local business takes advantage of "cool" factor behind European makes.
    More to it. KTM - not any more expensive to service etc.
    Yamaha probably is the most expensive and Kwak is worst on parts supply.
    Honda are expensive to service unless you have really good dealer.
    Parts not cheap either.
    So, I think that making assumptions based on each personal experience into common rule won't work here.

Example? Easy. 130 Euro asked for carbs sync on Honda from my friend and 50 Euros asked from me (because I know exactly what and how they will do it and know dealer guys well) for exactly same job on exactly same bike of exactly same year. This is reality. But in my place.
  15. RaY YreKa

RaY YreKa AA Zoom Baby

Oddometer:
    I think Honda, with these CTX and new CBs, are promising low-cost servicing and long intervals (8000-miles?). Of course we'll see how that translates in the real world in a year or two.

Some folks here (UK) will make a buying decision on the bike vs car, or bike vs train, as a ride-to-work option. And that means ££ calculations over an extended period.

BMW, to be fair, have a low priced schedule and good mpg from the f800 series.
  16. bluesman

bluesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    On other side low revving motor helps to save oil. Possible.could be. My tiger 800 have 10 000 km oil change intervals and 20 000 km valve adjustment. So, if Honda runs hydraulic lifters and shaft drive it obviously have advantage on chain driven shim over bucket bikes
  17. nachtflug

nachtflug I'm not going to talk about that.

Oddometer:
  18. JerryH

JerryH Vintage scooter/motorcycle enthusiast Supporter

Oddometer:
  19. UnsureFooting

UnsureFooting Title of User Here

Oddometer:
    Past
  20. HondaFanatic

HondaFanatic To Ride Is To Live

Oddometer:
    Here's a few new pics from the Honda tent at Daytona Bike Week 2013

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I'm def digging the high windshield, back rest, and luggage wearing look of the CTX700 in the 1st pic :drif