Me, a blonde, 2 Ducati's....3,000 miles (and then some)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by GP1152, Aug 22, 2012.

1. GP1152

GP1152 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    To anyone who's enjoyed this ride report, check out this report by openroad98. Really encompasses what a motorcycle trip is all about, from adversity to family to the nice people you meet along the way. The report isn't too long (like mine probably is) and really well written (like mine probably is not). Well done my friend :D

P.S. I'm from the east coast and can relate to some of that rain he experienced :eek1
  2. openroad98

openroad98 Newbie Tripmeister

Oddometer:
    Wow,

Thank you for the honorable mention, Gus! Glad you enjoyed the read and my report isn't short by choice, I actually do not enjoy writing all that much. Only when talking about something I really enjoy or have a passion for... then the words can flow for awhile so long as I have pictures to fill in the paragraph gaps. :D

Glad you understood about the rain, it's hard to escape it on the East coast since the storms pretty much come in across a few states and run their course until the front passes. And fall rains are COLD!

I will write the next ride report a little different as I didn't take a lot of notes and pretty much wrote it all up after I got back but when everything was fresh on my mind. Next trip I'll post a report up here, this forum is way easier to work with as far as photo posting... and the people here are pretty cool too! :clap I woke up to another 3" of snow this morning, ridiculous and I'm counting the days until I can be here again:

[​IMG]
  3. GP1152

GP1152 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My pleasure man. I thought it was really good!! And you write well so definitely don't keep from doing them and posting them here.

We pushed thru some especially heavy rain back east one summer through the Carolina's. it was hot all day, but of course this ended up happening in the mountains and it got freakin COLD. So yeah, not fun. Not sure "hotel-man" here wouldn't have stopped and called it a day after finding myself in something as cold as what you did!! lol. (Hey I am originally from Miami after all).

Anyway, hope to get a ride report on your upcoming trip. Keep me posted!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  4. Candiya

Candiya Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for continuing to write up your travels, Gus! You two have definitely inspired me. I've got some time set aside for my first road trip. Just need to set an itinerary, get a tail pack, and make it happen.
  5. live2ridetahoe

live2ridetahoe BSN, RN, CEN, TCRN, CTRN Supporter

Oddometer:
    I really enjoy reading your ride reports. Please keep them coming.

JG
  6. GP1152

GP1152 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Candiya, it's great to hear from you. I really hope you do get out and do that trip. You'll be so glad you did. Don't look at the final destination and think "that's so far to go (on my own / on a bike / whatever)". If you were to go to say Kennewick, would it be too far? Probably not. Each leg of your trip will be like that. Just remember you're not doing it all at once so don't let that keep you from doing it. I'm sure you've done a day of riding around where you live and cover 150-200 miles without even noticing. This will be the same, just in a direction you might not know. Get yourself a GPS that you can mount on the bike (nuvi, zumo, etc), learn how to program it (you sometimes have to input addresses as waypoints to "force" it to go the way you want it to go) and you'll be good!! Keep me posted though. Would love to hear how it goes.

Btw, The next time we're back in your area we'll let you know. It would be great to ride with you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  7. Pongo

Pongo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great write up!
    Seems several riders were in Victoria last fall while I was elsewhere!
  8. mightys4

mightys4 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The two of you live very well... I can appreciate that. Odd that people chime in and cast their negative opinions. You are a lot like me as I read your chronicles, nice things that you both enjoy very much and you both obviously have EXCELLENT taste in food.

Your photos are stellar and your writing is inspiring! I'm a lurker normally, but just wanted to compliment your post.

And that garage.... :yum

I enjoyed reading very much.

Gerry
    12 BMW R1200RT (the long haul)
    11 Honda CBR250 (the commuter)
    05 Ducati Monster S4R (the fun!!!)
  9. zwild

zwild Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Oh stop fishing, we're still here aren't we?:D
  10. GP1152

GP1152 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You live in a very cool little town my friend. We hope to be back very soon :D
    Hopefully next time we'll make time to go out to areas, like Tofino. Any other areas you'd recommend?

Thanks for the post Gerry. I guess it's true when they say you can't please everyone. It's ok though. I'm not going to lose any sleep over it and sure as hell am not going to change the way we do things because of it either.

The garage is undergoing a few changes. Putting in some lighting and got rid of the overhead garage motor and replaced it with one of THESE. Now that I have it I don't know how this isn't the standard. Very quiet and replaces the entire track and motor from the middle of the ceiling. Thing even has wi-fi in order to check if you left the door open. If you did you can close it (or open it) remotely from your phone, ipad or computer.

lol...not fishing at all. I really did think his RR was well written. I try as best I can to get our point across but always wonder if it's too detailed. Hopefully the pictures make up for any shortcomings in the writing :*sip*
  11. AirDrive

AirDrive Terminal No0b

Oddometer:
    Got just a bit behind and just caught up. Old Monterey Cafe in Monterey is one of the 3 equally great breakfast places in Monterey. Rosine's, on the opposite side of the street (Alvarado) going towards the ocean is another one.
    I'm still looking for the third.

Rosine's is the best place for desert. Killer Cakes and each slice should feed a minimum of 3 people.

I've really enjoyed your report and pictures. Looking forward to the next installment.
  12. jerdog53

jerdog53 Crop Dusting Everywhere

Oddometer:
    Great thread :clap Keep up the good work!
  13. zwild

zwild Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Whatever you think of your writing style, it works. Let's see, detailed accounts, great pics, cute wife, hot bikes, awesome roads.....what's not to like?
  14. GP1152

GP1152 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Time for this year's trip. Thinking of doing a route like the one below, which will take us through Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, Utah. Anything you'd add? Anything you'd leave out?

Click HERE for route

[​IMG]
  15. marty hill

marty hill The Energizer Bunny

Oddometer:
    Gus, I've done 100% of that route over several trips. Both of you are going to love it. Locals might have some alternates.

ENJOY!:D
  16. ducnut

ducnut Long timer

Oddometer:
  17. mistasam

mistasam ciao!

Oddometer:
    Oh man! That looks awesome :D My gf and I are going on a similar trip in October. Can't wait to see more of your pix dude!
  18. live2ridetahoe

live2ridetahoe BSN, RN, CEN, TCRN, CTRN Supporter

Oddometer:
    I would highly recommend going out the northeast exit of Yellowstone, 212 I believe. It takes you up and over Beartooth Pass and drops you down into the town of Red Lodge, Montana. You will love the ride. Lots of twisties and AMAZING views. Red Lodge is a nice little town that has good food and Moose Drool on tap.

It's a beer.

JG
  19. jerdog53

jerdog53 Crop Dusting Everywhere

Oddometer:
    I agree about Red Lodge as well but that Moose Drool is Crap! Get some Avery IPA instead :deal
  20. marty hill

marty hill The Energizer Bunny

Oddometer:
    Gus, beartooth is an amazing ride.