Keep seeing CA plated 450X's

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by Rick6, Jun 12, 2013.

1. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    After 2004, some KTM's were still getting plates from dealer even though they weren't eligible for them. I had a friend that owned a KTM dealership that was doing it. The DMV computers were programmed to deny plates to the big Japanese manufacturers but for some reason (quite probably due to the reason stated below) KTM's still got plates. However, as has been mentioned in previous threads in this West forum, DMV started pulling those plates. I kind of lost touch with the issue and haven't kept up with the latest developments.

Here's the form that must be filed out:

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/forms/reg/reg31.pdf

There are "none" boxes which can be checked under items 6 and 8, and it's possible it will go through DMV with the "none" boxes checked. DO NOT remove the labels as that is the same as removing/altering the VIN and will possibly subject you to criminal prosecution and/or impounding the vehicle. I'm just pointing out that no labels is not an absolute deal killer. My recommendation is to go through the process truthfully and hope for the best.

2. SloCalSpode

SloCalSpode Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yesir'eeeee One and the same bike. She has a new dress and some fancy
    dancing shoes on now, but, at heart she is still the same princess from our
    KM trail ride'n dayz.
    Sorry to run off topic, I'll stop now.
    See ya in a week or so Chris.
    JJ
  3. pcvance

pcvance Walk Verplank

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    piece of cake!:deal:clap
  4. Jeff aka BOLT

Jeff aka BOLT Prefer Saturdays

Oddometer:
    Congrats Perry :thumb

Expect a million PMs now :D
  5. Rick6

Rick6 Budweiser Enthusiast

Oddometer:
    I'm confused.. Plating a 450 EXC prior to the 07 model should be similar to plating a 450X, right? Why would plating an older 450 EXC be encouraged while plating a 450X is frowned upon?

Congrats either way on the plate :clap
  6. pcvance

pcvance Walk Verplank

Oddometer:
    That's true, my guess is is all internet hype. Now I'm gonna have to go buy an unplated 450X and get it plated, just to prove to all the naysayers that it's not that difficult:freaky!:dealExcuse me while I go Ride my newly street LEGAL 2006 450EXC.......Brrrraaaaaaaappp!
  7. itsatdm

itsatdm Long timer

Oddometer:
    On June 23, 2003 Carb issued an order stating that all bikes must have a road emission sticker in order to get a license. Due to the hue and cry of the motorcycle community they delayed implementation to 1/1/2004.

The order has never been rescinded. I don't how you guys are getting your plates, except DMV does get things screwed up. Good for you, just don't count it applying to everyone.
  8. Kali Trailrider

Kali Trailrider PLATED X2

Oddometer:
    Having a plated, unplate-able bike is like sex and credit!!

Some get it and others don't. :wink:

Just got my renewal from the DMV for 2014!!!

Nice bike Perry!!
  9. browneye

browneye PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer:

^^ This...

Congrats Perry, you got lucky.

At the bottom of this page is the database listing by year of all on-road and off-road certifications from CARB:
    http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/onroad/cert/cert.php#5

Here is the PDF for the 2006 KTM XC and EXC models showing they are designated OFMC - off road motorcycle. So whoever issued a plate for your non-cert model didn't bother to look up whether it was legal to do so.
    http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/onroad/cert/ofhrv/ofmcatv_comply/2006/ktm_ofmc_um0110009_510-448-398-250.pdf
    If you look under the 'on hiway' certification listings for 2006 KTM you find the 625/640 and the 950. The 250/450/525 EXC's are greensticker, the XC's are red sticker.

However the bike you plated does not have the certifications nor labeling to be legally licenses for hiway.
    Here is the emissions sticker requirment documentation from CARB. Obviously your DMV agent didn't check for the compliance sticker, even though this is something they are REQUIRED to do.
    http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/offroad/orrec/ohrv_regs.pdf#page=12

I'm not busting anyone's chops either, if you get one great. Just don't assume that everyone can walk into a DMV with a non-cert bike and get a plate. Also don't be surprised if someone catches it on an internal audit and rescinds it. I do not know what kind of auditing process CARB has in place for DMV transactions.
  10. theGrinch

theGrinch SNF Dream Riders

Oddometer:
    His bike like mine will be a clapped out POS by the time any CARB fools get around to pulling plates.
    Their to bizzy on their smartphones.

:freaky

11. pcvance

pcvance Walk Verplank

Oddometer:
    Hahahahahahahaha, true dat!

Peter, you should be driving right now, it's a long way to SNF!
    And I don't mean SQNF.

Let's ride buddy, Brrrrrraaaaappppppppp!
  12. Cpt. Ron

Cpt. Ron Advrider #128

Oddometer:
    I can't vouch for the poster, but just a heads up. YMMV......

"***To all converted street legal enduro wr450 xr650 crf450 buyers*** (All California)
    This is a heads up to anyone potentially buying a dirt bike converted to street legal in this great state of California.

I recently purchased two street legal converted dirt bikes A 2006 CRF450X and a 2005 WR450F. Went to transfer title at DMV and they informed me that they have changed their policy on converted bikes and forced me to take them both to Brake and lamp inspections (120$ each bike) and to highway potrol which in turn deemed them unable to be able to be on the street due to the fact that the factory emissions sticker does not comply with on highway and off road use. Also the factory build sticker must state on Highway and off road use. Even though they both had green stickers and current plates. DMV said they sent out let's last year to all the owners of converted bikes to bring them in for their inspections (removal of the plate)

Now I'm out all that money and they reclaim the plates.

So please keep that in mind when buying a converted ti street legal honda xr650 xr600 yamaha wr450f wr450 wr250 crf450r crf450x crf xr wr 450 etc. "

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/mcy/4289185379.html
  13. pcvance

pcvance Walk Verplank

Oddometer:
    fixed. KTM's not affected? would'nt it be considered racist to single out Japanese bikes?
  14. Off Limits

Off Limits Banned

Oddometer:
    Maybe this guy works for ktm? Bad pr?
  15. seabee1

seabee1 we build, we fight

Oddometer:
  16. West by Outwest

West by Outwest n00b

Oddometer:
    So the long and short of it is conversion loop holes are hard to come by. I looked into converting a CFR450 or K brand 450 and found the effort not worth the time or expense not to mention the risk of denial by DMV.

I have been riding large marge (KLR650) for some time. My solution is a KTM500 EXC. 10K is a damn lot of $$ but at this point I can gas and go.

I have no problem with California law regarding smog reduction. The air here in L.A. in the early 70's was abysmal. Much better now as a direct result of AQMD and the like. :norton
  17. pcvance

pcvance Walk Verplank

Oddometer:
    Exactly. Conversion is not worth the effort. Ride Orange.
  18. junglemototours

junglemototours trailplug

Oddometer:
  19. Lennys

Lennys Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a 2010 530 xcw that is reg in az in my wifes name and i ride here in OC all the time, been pulled over by the CHP by Silverwood Lake and the first words out of his mouth was ( your lic better match that plate) I showed him my lic(Ca) and told him its my sons bike and its reg to my exwife and im just working on it and took it for a ride (no turn sig and no dot tires) he then tells me he could give me a fix it ticket for the sigs and tire, So I said COOL give that bitch a ticket, He said no you get it not her shes not here, I tell him she wont fix it she hates me , He LOL and hands me back my lic and said hav a nice day!!!!!:ear