Anti Fog Solutions

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by captwheel, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Yakima

Yakima Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone used Nikwax Visor Proof?
    I like their other products, wonder about this one.
  2. hamiamham

hamiamham Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I use the nikwax product on the outside of my visor and it works well / i tried it tonight on the inside but it doesn't seem to have any effect on fogging.
  3. tshelver

tshelver Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Beween here (SE Asia) and there (Southern Africa)
    Pinlock is by far the best. Fogtech worked best for me out of the coating products.

If I was riding a lot in humid, colder conditions, I'd probably try to go back to contact lenses. At worst I take my glasses off, one eye can still see about enough to get me down the road, better than fogged glasses anyway.
  4. davsato

davsato Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    fog city insert.
    cheaper than a pinlock helmet
  5. dddd

dddd Long timer

Oddometer:
    correction, pinlock is not a helmet, but a mere specialized visor and insert, for each helmet model. about 40-80$ depending on the thief that will sell it to you...
  6. BCC

BCC I know better

Oddometer:
    Pinlock. It really is that simple.
  7. Xeraux

Xeraux Archvillain

Oddometer:
    :nod

It really is.
  8. Ironforge

Ironforge Adventurer

Oddometer:
  9. davsato

davsato Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IF they do a visor that fits your helmet, otherwise its £30 for a DIY kit and youve got to drill holes in your £50 visor. surprisingly few helmets here are pinlock ready out of the box, i wonder if it affects the impact safety of the visor in EU/SHARP testing?
  10. 568V8

568V8 Ontario Vstrommer

Oddometer:
  11. Xeraux

Xeraux Archvillain

Oddometer:
    :rofl

See my previous post...
  12. Boats313

Boats313 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    After trying the spray and coatings, I found that they work best when applied the night before a ride. At best I could get 2 days out of an application, on really humid days or in rain it would last about a half hour.

Pinlock just plain works.
  13. dddd

dddd Long timer

Oddometer:
    back before I got pinlock, I found that running the visor under hot water to warm it up is giving the better result the so-so rainx fog solution could give. I apply until dripping. Let dry completely (hence the warm visor, should wait 20 minutes, during packing ceremony the nigh before!). Wipe with 1 square inch softh cloth with 1 finger alone (so it cant absord too much) the excess greasy paste this leaves, just enough to keep the visor clear and no streak.

The fact s, there is so much alcool in it (possibly other solvent, an possibly in other products too) that it is diluted too much and not very effective. Just my experience. I guessed it by having tried the opposite, cold visor in 100% humitidy 5 degrees C, at 7 am, trying to stop the insane fog... ended up warning/drying the visor in front of exhaust...Worked pretty well!
  14. thetable

thetable Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a Fog City insert, and while it is better than nothing, it still is garbage in comparison to the Pinlock. The only way to make my Fog City insert stay clear in anything below 60* and humidity is with the Respro Foggy. The Foggy, well worth the money spent, just wish I'd bought it earlier.
  15. BlackDogZulu

BlackDogZulu XT fan

Oddometer:
    Another big fan of Pinlock. In fact, I won't buy another full-face helmet without one. I must breathe a lot of moisture, because I always had great problems with fogging, and got used to riding the whole of winter (and much of summer here in UK) with the visor cracked open slightly. Much red eyes and frozen cheeks. Since Pinlock, no problems.

However ...

I find that the inserts only last a couple of years. My current one is two years old and one side of it is fogging quite badly. Presumably it has lost whatever magic properties it had. Do these inserts have a service life, or am I doing something wrong? I should say that I rarely touch the surface of the insert, and only clean it when absolutely necessary, using plain water and a soft cloth. I treat it like a baby. The small cost of a new one is well worth it for the comfort and safety it brings, but I'm wondering if I can do anything to make them last longer.
  16. Rutabaga

Rutabaga Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hundreds, possibly a thousand or more, hours of scuba diving in the '70s and all I ever used was spit. Swab around then rinse. Done. Used Dawn detergent but spit was easier to carry and dispense.
  17. marknir

marknir lone rider

Oddometer:
    I live in Georgia now but am originally from the UK. I always used to coat the inside of my visor with washing up liquid, Fairy Liquid to be exact, then polish until dry and invisible. This works for a long time and is very cost effective.
  18. kubiak

kubiak Long timer

Oddometer:
    i was wondering about spitting on the shield. i used that method on my diving goggles too.
  19. BlackDogZulu

BlackDogZulu XT fan

Oddometer:
    I used to do the spit and rinse routine when I went diving many years ago. OK when you have water to slosh it clean, and in a diving mask it works very well, but I can't see a way to translating it to a bike visor, which basically needs to be dry inside.
  20. Rutabaga

Rutabaga Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry about the confusion. Late Wednesday afternoon I put on the helmet, lean forward and spit onto the visor four or five times then roll then my head left and right to ensure good coverage. Put the helmet back on the shelf and by ride time Friday it is dry. :rofl