Bike friendly hotels, Blue Hill or Bar Harbor, ME

Discussion in 'Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carp' started by Workinstiff40, Feb 17, 2013.

1. Workinstiff40

Workinstiff40 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Greetings all,

A few of my riding buds and I are considering a run from Western, MA to the Bar Harbor, Maine the second or third weekend of June.

Does anyone have a referral for a relatively inexpensive biker friendly inn or hotel in the Bar Harbor or Blue Hill area?

Bike friendly to means the bikes are not visible from the main road, the management or owner are aware need a good night sleep (not partying) and finally, a restaurant or two nearby.

I know pricing will be high at that time of year.

I appreciate any opinions offered....

Best regards,

Joe
  2. viverrid

viverrid not dead yet

Oddometer:
    Having done several family trips to Bar Harbor (by car), I'm not seeing this as an issue. However, there are many motels with some of the parking around the back, or parking that extends far from the road. Again, not seeing this as an issue. I'd rather my bike was visible from the road AND visible from my room, than opposite on both.

P.S. - Most economical place we stayed was at the Bar Harbor Motel (yup, sounds generic but that's what it's called) a couple of times with family. Numerous small buildings with about 4 units each building. If you don't want to be seen from the road, get a building in the back, the place goes waaay back from the road.

Other places I've stayed were more high end.
  3. murdock84

murdock84 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was just on a duck hunt around the Blue Hill area. I only remember really seeing bed and breakfast in the area, but may be wrong. We stayed at a hotel between Belfast and Searsport. Belfast was a nice town.
  4. Tslapper

Tslapper #!/usr/bin/perl -wT -I.

Oddometer:
    Atlantic Oceanside. Big parking lot between road and rooms, very large complex, nice ocean front rooms for about $200.00 Hard to do better than that but they do weekend package pricing if you can match up your time with their offerings. About a mile from downtown.

Wife and I decided to do a quick weekend get away and play tourists down there last year. Expensive weekend but had a good time.

Continuous shuttle bus to and from town starting June 23rd.

http://www.barharbormainehotel.com/
  5. Workinstiff40

Workinstiff40 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks To all who responded so far,

Although a few of us would be fine with the rates shown at the referenced Hotels, as few of us would find those fees too high.

We stayed at a B and B in North Conway for last years ride and the fee was $450 for a four bedroom cabin, with 8 beds.

That was a score, and we are looking for the same set up with regards to capacity and fees

Again, any insight would be greatly appreciated, we are open to something closer to Augusta or Bangor too........
  6. viverrid

viverrid not dead yet

Oddometer:
    If the rates at the Bar Harbor Motel are too high, maybe do you want to camp? We don't camp but then we don't find the motel rates out of line for the circumstances. Bar Harbor is a VERY popular summer tourism destination and you're wanting to go "in season". Or maybe stay elsewhere if economy is a necessity. I don't think you are going to find Bar Harbor on the cheap in the summer tourism season.
  7. Workinstiff40

Workinstiff40 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Greetings,

Spending a little more time looking, we saw the Surry Inn.

A little off the beaten path from Bar Harbor, but may be a good choice,

Has anyone stayed at the Surry Inn?
  8. Racer111v

Racer111v Long timer

Oddometer:
    You can rent a camp at one of the lakes in/around Elsworth. I did a quick google search and found 25 camps around $250 a night sleeping 8 and up. There are a lot of hotels in Bangor , near the airport. It's a direct shot down to Bar Harbor nowadays. There are some campgrounds between Bangor and Bar Harbor that may have cabins or campers for rent.
    Our family has a camp on Green lake, about 25 minutes from Bar Harbor. I love that area, although I don't get up there very much lately.
  9. viverrid

viverrid not dead yet

Oddometer:
    Yeah but, at those camps, could his bikes be seen from the road..... (lol)
  10. murdock84

murdock84 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Some of the local hunting guides rent small cabins out as well in the summer, that may be an option as well.
  11. 71olds

71olds Motorholic

Oddometer: