Drz400 Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Britmick, May 4, 2007.

1. WayneJ

WayneJ What?

Oddometer:
    If it ain't broke....:norton

Mines been running on E blended fuel for 11 years. Nothing wrong with it.
  2. XJHero

XJHero Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey guys, first time poster here, was looking for some help with my new purchase...recently brought home an 03 klx 400r. When i went to look at bike, owner started it up no problems with a cold engine, then again a couple times afterwards, no issues. I brought it home in a truck, and went to start it, would crank and crank but just wont seem to catch. I replaced the battery cause it was on its last leg, replaced the spark plug(original was gas fouled when i pulled it out), checked the kill switch, and filled the tank....no change. Doing some more research i checked the clutch safety switch and kickstand switch and those mods were already done, need to verify that the connections are good, but i figure they must be decent if the bike was just running.
    The first time after bringing it home i was able to get it to start firing right before it ran outta gas(got 3-4 blips out of the exhaust before it died). At this point i know im getting gas to the carb, havent pulled that apart yet, and i know the ignition system is working. Have not checked compression with a gauge, but seems to be fine, enough to blow finger off hole. Aside from ripping the carb apart to verify thats ok what else can/should i be looking at....im at a complete loss of where to go now besides digging into the carb or valves, and being as that is just was running,cant see the valves getting out of adjustment from the truck ride. Any advice would be greatly appreciated...
  3. MotoBoss

MotoBoss Go Ahead

Oddometer:
    WELCOME to the asylum XJHero, sounds like a fuel restriction issue. May be junk in the jets in the carb. Is there a filter in-line that may be clogged? Is the tank clean inside? Maybe pull the petcock and see if the inlet screen is clogged, restricting fuel flow. Check choke assembly to ensure the choke is working properly. Check fuel supply hose(s) from tank to carb for obstruction. Try spraying a little starter fluid in the carb while trying to start. If it fires with an external fuel supply then definitely is a fuel delivery issue. 10 to 1 I suspect clogged jets, especially if it has been siting for a while.
    If not;

Option 2: check to ensure your engine cut off switch (kill switch) is in the proper position and in working order. You may have to disconnect it and/or straight wire together to eliminate the switch as the problem.
    I had this happen to me before, bad switch, and it drove me crazy trying to track down.

Good luck, keep us posted...............
  4. XJHero

XJHero Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the response MotoBoss. A fuel issue does seem like it could be a problem, maybe even a flooding issue. I know i flooded it the first time i tried starting it by checking the plug(fuel fouled). Smelled gas as well. I cant check my oil for fuel contamination cause the fill was tightened by hercules and i cant get it off without some heat/serious force.
    Theres no in line filter, so could be junk in tank/line/carb. Should i try starting with the fuel/tank? I have gotten bad gas before, had similar issues on bikes/cars with that problem, so ill prob pop the petcock off, drain the tank and refill with a different brand. I heard trying to drain the carb bowl will tell me if the carbs getting fuel, just not sure which screw it is. If it is clogged jets, how would i go about cleaning them? Need to remove or can i use carb cleaner with them in the carb still?

I did check that kill switch. I should also mention, its an R version, but it is plated with all the street legal stuff, horn, blinkers, etc, and i have a light switch that powers the ignition,(wont turn over unless this is on, not sure if all models had this switch on the leftside or if its aftermarket), as well as an ignition, and a pull in type kill switch(pull in the make contact and kill ignition, let go and contacts are spaced. I didnt put a meter to the kill switch, but it seems all good, no corrosion or anything to suspect a fault. Im still fairly new with electrical work so I cant say for sure its good. I also have a red push in button for high and low beams, and i heard on another forum that button needed to be in a certain position, but what that was i never got clarified. Any more info?
    Again, thanks for the help.
  5. element6

element6 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Silly question perhaps, but are you using the choke?
  6. buls4evr

buls4evr No Marks....

Oddometer:

The only problem you will have is a $.50 sealing o-ring on that float valve after 5 years. no problems with needles at all or brass holder in the carb. Replacement is a waste of $$$. Contact Keintech for the O-ring. You must be reading Thumper Talk too much:D.
  7. XJHero

XJHero Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes, ive been using the choke to try to start it. Previous owner said it would fire right up, even in cold weather with just the choke, no throttle. I have tried without the choke a few times just to see, no change though.
  8. Dave1

Dave1 OCCR

Oddometer:
    ++1. Sometimes when you mess with it you ruin the harmony of the stock motor and guess what happens $$$$. That's why I leave mine stock and love it. :thumb
  9. Solarbronco

Solarbronco Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I dont get into all the "must do" mods either. No matter what ya do, the DRZ will always be heavy as hell. 3x3 mod will just make your airfilter dirty as hell really quick. FCR carb will give a lil power, but mostly cost alot AND ruin your MPG. I changed tires, added a thick skid plate, added a DRC rear tail light. Removed the blinkers and mirrors and ride the piss out of my 2012 every chance I get.

I bought a DRZ because I didn't wwant to have to waste all my time working on my bike, and DRZ's flat out last if ya change the oil and filters.
  10. ol'dan

ol'dan n00b

Oddometer:
    I'm just taking some time during the winter to do some preventative maintenance. Things like greasing bearings, changing oil, clean the air filter and lube the chain. I choose not to run the bike into the ground and then take it 40 miles into the back country. I replace the battery at the first sign of starting problems and fix anything that is not working properly ASAP. I'd rather spend my time riding than walking home.
  11. mars

mars Starbucks anyone?

Oddometer:
    I recently bought a nearly new 2012 DRZ400 that runs and handles great. I am moving from a KTM 640 adventure. This bike is hands down better for just about everything except, the 640 would cruise at 90 all day if you wanted The DRZ seems to do the same minus 10 or 15 mph, that makes it the perfect bike for me.
    first up was to mount my Zega bags. I scored the SW Mototech mounts and so far I love them.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I started to inspect the bike, starting with the front wheel. I read about the lack of grease in the steering head. Turns out it was bone dry on the bottom bearing.
    [​IMG]
    not one speck of grease.
    I noticed a rather crude bend in the front down tube and thought this must be the final tweek to get the geometry right.
    [​IMG]
    the paint looks un touched and the stickers look good so I guess this was a factory adjustment.
    After getting the front end back together I started to look at rejetting the carb. Once started I found the clamps holding the carb to be completely loose and finally removed it after some wiggling and loosening of the rear sub frame. Waiting for a jetting kit now and next up will be the swing arm. I expect it to be in the same condition as the steering head.
  12. SKINZ

SKINZ Geo Steve

Oddometer:
    Any chance you have the petcock on "prime" and not "on" and are just flooding it?
  13. Jeathrow Bowdean

Jeathrow Bowdean Long timer

Oddometer:
    I hope that you folks are keeping an eye on the DR 790cc build. Part 1 did not work that well, but Procycle is fixing things up for part 2.

It's the best show in town this year.

From Jeathrow Bowdean in Western Canada. PS: Who knows, this could save your motor project some day !!!
  14. Jeathrow Bowdean

Jeathrow Bowdean Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll look at my tube Mars, but I'm sure that this is not a factory thing. I'm wondering if it's from shipping or when the dealer put it together thing. I hope the tube in not dinted to bad. They are pretty tuff in that spot !!!
  15. mars

mars Starbucks anyone?

Oddometer:
    the thing runs and handles great, it has me puzzled too.
  16. mars

mars Starbucks anyone?

Oddometer:
    there are some other posts from other threads that talk about this. it seems to be normal.
  17. Jimo368

Jimo368 Quantum Mechanic

Oddometer:
    Mars, I came close to buying a 640A before getting the DRZ. Haven't ridden it yet and now wondering how the KTM would be?
  18. DR650SEDDY

DR650SEDDY ride2discover

Oddometer:
    I had similar problem while back. Before i started to dig into the engine/carb repertoire i took off the gas tank cleaned well with soap & water rinse well with water only, let it dry till next day and before reinstall it blow air into it from powerfull compressor. I took few minutes to double check the petcock (remove & inspect). I filled it half way, added carb cleaner to it. It started right up, and idled like new bike. I still have to use the choke to start it no matter what though (cold or hot weather).
  19. XJHero

XJHero Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes actually, i didnt realize that this was a prime position, thought it was a reserve, and my tank only has a gallon or so in it. Didnt think it mattered...on that note, what exactly is the prime for and how do you use it properly?...And if thats the case, would def explain why it flooded. On that note, how would I go about clearing a flood out of this style engine...im more used to kick bikes(WOT, open choke, kick it a few times), unless ive been doing that wrong too...seemed to work on my XRs no prob.

Quote"I had similar problem while back. Before i started to dig into the engine/carb repertoire i took off the gas tank cleaned well with soap & water rinse well with water only, let it dry till next day and before reinstall it blow air into it from powerfull compressor. I took few minutes to double check the petcock (remove & inspect). I filled it half way, added carb cleaner to it. It started right up, and idled like new bike. I still have to use the choke to start it no matter what though (cold or hot weather). " Quote.

I actually heard almost the same thing from someone else yesturday, except they did that with the carb and tank, same results....looks like Ill just start with the tank and gas, after clearing the CC and making sure theres no gas in there or my oil.
    Thanks a lot guys, appreciate the advice.
  20. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    ya, i'm wondering if he posted in the wrong thread... the dr790 (drbig) is a couple slots down...

but i want one :D