Trails of the West Lite 2011-CO, UT, WY

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by OLEARY, Sep 3, 2011.

1. The Toyman

The Toyman Handy not Handsome Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well we get up early and give the obnoxious late night noise makers a wake up call with our bikes and head to the showers, then we are off to the Green River Outfitters for breakfast
    [​IMG]
    Remind me to not interupt Oleary while he is eatin :D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And were off towards Farson, Wyoming.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

North end of Flaming Gorge Lake
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Notice the small dot in the picture on the road, thats Oleary, just shows the massive views.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

To put this into perspective, that is an SUV on the point on the lake.
    [​IMG]

looking back to the southwest on the upper end of Flaming Gorge lake
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Looking Northwest
    [​IMG]

Just north of Flaming Gorge lake, We were in awe of the solitude and beauty
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Just north of Rock Springs we take a short cut to dirt?
    [​IMG]

Another vista, notice the sand dunes in the background, once we pass this the roads became very sandy and loose, man that will make your arms sore, then we hit Farson for a gas and lunch before heading to Mary Hays Cabin.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

We decide to ride on past Mary Hays Cabin and hit the Immigrant Trail
    [​IMG]

We hit the Continental dive road and catch up to some DS riders from Iowa
    [​IMG]

Bumpbump's ride
    [​IMG]

We visit a bit then head on, notice the dark clouds forming in the southwest, also note we are riding the Great Divide aka The Big Empty and the name fits the terrain.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This was my last photo of the day, we tried to out run mother nature, she had none of that, the rain got us again, lighting struck less than 300 feet from me and the dirt flew, then the 50 mph plus winds, hail and rain. I felt like a flat tracker leaning going straight. The wind was so strong it would blow you to the left side of the road and you had to actually turn the handle bars to get back to the other side of the road and start over, then I could see the sunlight ahead, wheeew that was close. We rode like mad and out run the storm this time and landed in Rawlings. We fueled up when we got there and you had to hold your bike up the wind was so strong so we decided to get a hotel room, good thing we did as it stormed during the night. Man we seen a lot of scenery today and weather, we were so tuckered out neither one one of us new when we passed out.
    [​IMG]
  2. Copperjohn1962

Copperjohn1962 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Awesome pics Toyman!
  3. OLEARY

OLEARY Enlightened Voyager

Oddometer:
    Awesome Pics is right! I guess I need to work on my table manners! That was a good one! You failed to divulge that I set that one up for you! But who is going to believe me now tho huh! :norton
  4. The Toyman

Oddometer:
    Well its the last day this will be hard to outdo the last 4 days. Well remember on day 2 how I had water in my tank and it ran like crap over 50 mph, well I found the problem this morning it seems when I drained my carb bowl I kinked my fuel line to the carb. Fixed that and it ran like a top. We left Rawlings early and headed towards Georgetown.
    [​IMG]

Antelope along side of the road, these rascals ran beside me for about a mile when I speed up they did too we ran side by side at 45 mph
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Seems like this road goes on forever and so did the wind whoa.
    [​IMG]

Medicine Bow National Forest, finally some trees.
    [​IMG]

Oleary right behind me, we lucked out on the dust as we had very little the whole trip.
    [​IMG]

We round a turn and run into this road block, no one was around but the stacking boom was running, if I had to wait much longer I was going to climb aboard and move it, would have been fun but as my luck would have it the skidder operator shows up and snags it a clears the road, oh well next time:evil
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Aspen Alley
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is looking from Battle Mountain overlook
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

On the way to Hayden
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Will finish this report tomorrow, can't keep my eyes open:eek1
  5. OLEARY

Oddometer:
    Awesome photos and your comments are pretty funny as well. I am still laughing about the one of me getting ready to devour a breakfast sandwich. Great ride! I am ready to do it again. :norton
  6. DavidQ

DavidQ We Don't Rent Pigs

Oddometer:
    Looks like a great trip. Thanks for sharing. :clap
  7. The Toyman

Oddometer:
    Well it appears I did not take many more pics.
    [​IMG]

Well we decided to slab the last 56 miles or so, we got into some great downhill twisties and as I was in a hard right hand feeling the asphalt I heard this loud bang and the rear end started wobbling, got it shut down and bailed off and no flat, grabbed the rear wheel and it appeared to have blown the wheel bearing. Oleary showed back and we did not have cell service so he headed to Kremmling and call Keith and see if he would bring my Truck to us and I would try to limp that direction. Well I limped at a brisk 15 mph and got 8 miles to the major intersection 6 miles north of Kremmling and stopped to rest. As I was standing there looking at my rear wheel DRZ Charlie texted me, it appears the spot was not moving to quickly. As I was texting him I look up just in time to see a Hitch hiker heading across the road. Seems he was hungry and thirsty, I told him I could unpack my bike as the food was buried at the bottom so he declined, THEN he asked if he could stand behind my bike and PISS:eek1, I looked at him and told him he had better not piss on my bike, he turned away from me and the bike and let it go. After that he started telling me about how the Kremmlin Police had hauled him out here and dumped him:huh, I pointed him in the direction of Utah and he started off and I jumped on my bike and headed on into Kremmling. Man that was the longest 14 miles in my life, finally reached Kremmling and parked at the first store and hooked up with Oleary. Keith showed up with my truck later and we ended a Great Adventure. Oleary was a great host and riding partner. Look forward to going out west next year. PS sorry for writing a book.

[​IMG]
  8. katbeanz

katbeanz earthbound misfit, I

Oddometer:
    Great stuff guys! :clap Look forward to riding with you again. :D
  9. OLEARY

Oddometer:
    I look forward to it as well. I still remember the last little ride we took from Oark to Catalpa. That was a lot of fun. I sure made you guys look good didn't I? You are more than welcome to join us on any of our camp and ride events throughout the year. Here is a link to the site in case you don't already have it. Usually camp Friday and Satruday night and have a dayride Saturday with a predetermined route. We usually have a grille and cook some grub as well so feel free to join us along with your other inmates. :norton
  10. Utah Bones

Utah Bones Gas X ready!

Oddometer:
    Very nice guy's, the Vernal pics are making me homesick.:D
  11. byways

byways byways

Oddometer:
    Excellent!
  12. NaturalDamRider

NaturalDamRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great ride report from both riders. I met O'leary at Sunshine Cafe Saturday and he told me about this trip.
    Good read. Now on to the other reports.
  13. OLEARY

Oddometer:
    Thanks for taking the time to check out the ride report. Just bought a GPS off of eBay. Found a place in Florida to send my old GPSMap 276c to see if they can repair it. Garmin ran out of parts! Likely story! Now if I could just find my Spot I would be back in business. Thanks for taking a look see for it. Take care. :norton