Why do BMWs' cost so much to run??

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Domromer, Dec 28, 2012.

1. vintagerider

vintagerider Long timer

Oddometer:
    How much do BMW's cost to run?

A: Coasting downhill not much more than any other. The 11xx series are by far easiest on the wallet. If buying a 1200 then either buy one with a warranty or plan on dropping $2-$4k any season that you are out running hard. The new marketing plan anticipates that the average rider has well over a six figure income and will trade in before the warranty expires. 25 years ago it was unthinkable to sink this kind of money in to riding. Investing in an older 1200 is a lot like building in the flood plane.
  2. N-m

N-m Captain 2 Sexy

Oddometer:
    Too Far from My Welder and BMW in South TN.
    If these comments on the 1200's are true the value and appreciation for my '95 will only continue to climb. Values on most other bikes will only continue to drop.
  3. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    Vintage Rider is a bit of a Luddite. The R1200 is easily as reliable as the R1100/1150.

Anyone interested in the difficulty level of R1200 maintenance should look here for a tutorial: http://www.jimvonbaden.com/R1200_Final_Drive.html http://www.jimvonbaden.com/R1200_24K.html

There are easily as many R1200 bikes, as mile to mile basis, as there are R1100/1150 bikes building big miles with nothing but regular maintenance.

My R1200GS has 120K miles on it, and runs like new.:deal

Jim :brow
  4. Domromer

Domromer Desert Rat

Oddometer:
    Well I'm glad I finally asked some actual BMW riders about BMWs. Almost all my knowledge of bmw is via other bike forums and most of the riders were either guys who had bmws and got rid of them or had stories hat involved a buddy of a buddy.

The GS has been on my radar since 03 when I took a test ride and when I rode my bosses R80 Paris Dakar. So it's time for me to start doing some serious bike research again. I finally cleared some bikes out of the garage. Maybe it's time for a bike I've been into for years. The vstrom is a great bike and I'm on my 2nd one..they've just never really flipped my whig if you know what I mean.
  5. JustKip

JustKip Long timer

Oddometer:
    How do you define "running hard"?
    My '07 R1200GS did 4500 miles in 6 days back in march. Average speed - 85 mph. Maintenance? Not even an oil change. That was my longest trip, but my bike has seen 100+ mph for a full tank of gas many, many times, as well as a few long trips of over 3,000 miles at a pretty good pace. My bike has seen hundreds of miles of dirt roads (not "off road") and has only had fluids changed, valve adjustments, and tires...and 2 batteries.
    Now you've got me wondering; what am I supposed to be spending that "$2-$4k" on?

Domromer, a 1200 is lighter, more nimble, and more powerful than an 1150, and at the $12k you suggested in post #1 you're in the range of '06 and '07 GSA's
  6. marty hill

marty hill The Energizer Bunny

Oddometer:
    Talk about mis-information. I've owned 7 1200 GS's. All sold to friends at between 30-42k on them. Several now over 100k. None have been problematic. Leaky shocks under wty were the worst any of them suffered in the first 40k. I'm sure the 1150 is very good but lets get real. Sounds like he has a friend who has a friend who heard from someone that the 12's were no good.:rofl :lol3

As to price, I just sold my '09 with 35k for 11k. Stock as all the extras moved to the new one.
  7. vintagerider

vintagerider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lowest 1100 resale was a 2-3 years ago, now climbing. Used mc buyers are often uninformed so subscribe to the belief that newer is better. The 1100 GS is a rock solid machine with excellent build quality. Sure, they had their quirks such as a tendency to pull studs out of the block in early years, poor crankcase ventilation, mediocre gear box. BUT recondition any of them and you've got a reliable runner that won't let you down and for only a fraction of the cost of 1200 ownership. To be fair they really are very different mc and there are reasons to ride each. Everything made since 1996 is more or less built to be disposable. The expensive parts that wear out prematurely are no accident just part of the modern marketing. It is interesting to study the marque. By 1969 dealers were complaining that the 600's were too reliable and too easily serviced by the owner. With the 1970 revision. planned obsolescence was already becoming obvious. This is was transportation industry wide phenomenon. A 1965 F100 p.u. was designed to be rebuilt. The 84's were ready for the junkyard by 89.

Fahrvergnügen:
    One word that expresses modern German auto marketing philosophy. A divergence from the early post war utilitarian years. Focus shifting back to the luxury market, first in cars then mc. Looking at the production from mid 1930 thru 39 we see the company has come full circle. The 1500-1600-1800 was the car that saved BMW with a little help from the 75/5.

In a challenging economy BMW will produce Isettas though that is not where their heart is. The driving force today seems to be cheap money/easy financing. It remains to be seen how long that will last. Ride the dream and cherish the memories.

http://www.uniquecarsandparts.com.au/history_bmw_post_war.htm
  8. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    :norton

Jim :brow
  9. Bill-66

Bill-66 The End of the Republic is upon us... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bullshit...Utter BULLSHIT

In excess of 70k on my '08...a drive shaft under warranty and oil, gas and tires have been the expenses. The bike has run in desert silt, Colorado snow..you name it.

The bikes are reliable as a rock..
  10. JustKip

JustKip Long timer

Oddometer:
    :photog

+1
  11. vintagerider

vintagerider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Domromer, You want to buy a used GS and ask about repair costs. It seems like you have three options: new, late model used or an 1150.
    I personally love the 1100 but the gear box can be an issue. Still I wouldn't pass up a really nice one if the price was right.

Consider the extra cost of tax, registration and insurance on newer models.

IMO 12k is way,way too much to spend on a used GS with no service contract. Plenty of 1200 owners on these pages give the view that buying a new GS today is as much about buying the service agreement and support as buying the mc.

[I have bought -seven- new GS and sold them all (about 40k mi)]

Think about that.

Subsidized financing via 2 da moon stimulus is compelling value on buying new with warranty.

Jim Moore points out that its a game of chance. I'm in agreement that if an 1150 has gone 70k with no major issues and has many new parts then you may very well have another 70k to go with little or no major repairs on this model.

With a 40k miler all those things may be coming your way. All its gonna take is a FD, drive shaft, clutch and not much more to be at the cost of new on the used 1200. If you have to sell you could take a real beating on a four year old 1200.

Everything requires repair sooner or later. Don't buy in to the bs that the BMW never needs parts. If you need a crown bearing on an 11xx you'll be out $100 and can repair roadside. On a 1200 its $2,000 + lost time since the 1200 FD overhaul is much more difficult. Supplies of used 11xx FD assemblies are good- more savings.

If you buy new and ride your dream for two years how much does that cost after resale? At least one poster went that route 7 times.

If you buy 3-4 year old 1200 and bear the cost of several major repairs?

If you buy a clean 1150 for $5k and invest $2k in parts over 2 years then sell for $4,500 (plus savings on insurance, tax, license)? The challenge here is doing a very thorough inspection. I've come no where near the $2k but needed neither clutch nor re-seal.

Everyone's going to have a different opinion. For any potential model visit the dealer micro fiche pages for typical parts cost. The 2000-2002 1150 is less complex. No stick coils for example. If engine and power train checks out and the owner has already replaced brake rotors, clutch, starter, hydraulics and cosmetics are good then this is the obvious deal imo.

1200's are more nimble and have other advantages but you won't miss any joy on 11xx. Ride several of each before you decide.
  12. blaster11

blaster11 Still having fun!

Oddometer:
    I find the previous poster a bit bias...ok a lot! I have the terrible, bought used, 2006 GSA and I typically do between 18 and 20K miles a year. The only problem I have had was I noticed more metal in my FD last year than I was comfortable with so I replaced it with one that I bought from a guy on here with 5K miles for $500.00. Other than that just normal maintenance and farkling in a little under 80K miles, that's pretty cheap in my book. I ride my bike a fair amount off road as well so it gets a bit more used and abused. What you will find is that the opposing twin motors are easy to work on and pretty darn reliable. Oh and this is my first BMW and it won't be the last based on what I have experienced so far. :D
  13. TuefelHunden

TuefelHunden Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I also wanted a GS for years, but saw all the posts on Concours, FJR and Triumph site saying one of the following:
    1. You can't work on a BMW yourself - you need special tools, only a mechanic can do those special BMW things.
    2. They are super expensive - some truth in that if you just buy new. Mine was demo and I got a great deal.

If anything I have found my 2011 R1200GS to be easier to work on than just about all of my previous bikes. On the second issue, check the prices out on all the top end sport tourers or dual sports. None of them are cheap anymore.
  14. vtbob

vtbob wanderer

Oddometer:
    Bikes are for fun.

If costs is the BIG consideration..not the fun...one makes sort of weird bike decisions

the cheapest bike is used.....the ones that are most unpopular, most undesirable are the cheapest...the best buy if $$ are the main decision point

BMWs are not cheap...either new or used because they are highly desirable. ...ie Fun

to me debating the cost of a valve adjustment on GS or a super Teniere is like trying to dance on the head of a pin
  15. Domromer

Domromer Desert Rat

Oddometer:
    You are right bikes are about fun. But I am cheap and and I ride a lot. Over the past two years I've done 40k on my Vstrom and I don't commute. If I had to spend a lot of money on parts or repairs any bike would become very unfun for me very fast. The Vstrom has required nothing but consumables over that 40k. So I do take into account the likely hood of major failure and big costs. I'm just that kind of person. I do my research and go for bikes that will get the job I need done with the least fuss.
  16. marty hill

marty hill The Energizer Bunny

Oddometer:
    VR chooses to not read well. I use for 1 year for the most part as I ride a lot. I choose to ride with wty since I ride in Europe a good bit and if something were to go wrong, I choose not to pay the Euro rate for repairs. He opts to ignore the fact that I've had almost no problems and the friends who bought them haven't either. I worked for 43 years and pay cash.
    It is time to enjoy and I'm doing that. He loves his old moto and that's fine but to spread BS is pathetic and not cool.
  17. vtbob

vtbob wanderer

Oddometer:
    It sounds like you are satisfied with the Vstrom. If that make you happiest GREAT.

I agree the cost of ownership of is less. atleast a couple of $k up front. I test rode one for over an hour before I bought my BMW.
    Why, the suzuk was a bit heavier, a bit slower, did not handle quite as well....those things were more important to me than the $$.

Everyone should chose what is best for themselves.
  18. Domromer

Domromer Desert Rat

Oddometer:
    And I don't want to turn this into a vstrom vs 1150 thread..they are very different bikes. Vstrom is great and very reliable. My two problems are even with changing the bars,begs,risers, and seat I have never been able to get it to fit me well. I can ride long distances but it's sort of like ride ling distance on a bicycle. It's uncomfortable while you are doing it but your glad you did it when it's over.

The other problem is the suspension and ground clearance and no fun for off road. I'm one of those vstrom owners that explores the dirt and it's just not up to the task..ok It may be loaded for camping and two up...but I still need something that won't bottom out over every hill.

That's why I'm looking at the bmws again..
  19. jdub

jdub Dawg bytes reel gud Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here's what it's all about. Life is short so ride what spins your crank, trips your trigger, etc., etc. Take a few test rides on a couple of different BMWs, decide what's important to you and buy one if you're so moved.

I rode a 650 Strom for 2 years/46k miles before buying my GSA, and mine was indeed a great bike without so much as one burned out light bulb during those miles. I missed numerous things in comparison to BMWs though (not the least of which was BMW's big alternators for easily powering heated gear and aux lights), and have never regretted buying my GSA.
  20. GSMarc

GSMarc Long timer

Oddometer:
    I will go to the KTM 990 ADVR if you like doing some dirt.

Front wheel 21" is the way to go, specially with big bikes I think.