Bicycle thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Zodiac, Jul 10, 2006.

1. pierce

pierce Ex Tourer

Oddometer:

that bike looks like it has a heavy steel ashtabula crankset, like you'd find on an old schwinn? why in dog's name would you put a carbon fork on that?!? get a nice old school cromo steel fork with thin curved tips, or something like that.
  2. Shocktower

Shocktower Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well I am back on a bike fat and out of shape, but there is hope, since I live in Oregon I bought fenders for my road bike :huh, yes there are some really nice ones made :evil, now if i could go to sleep :lol3
  3. bogieboy

bogieboy Long timer

Oddometer:
    As for the cranks those are gone...BB conversion came in the mail, waiting on my sunlite cranks to show up... As for the carbon vs chromo fork? Why NOT? LOL I had an old scwinn worlds chro-mo, with the chro-mo fork...front tire moved alot more than i felt comfortable with.... And besides i got the fork for under $50 shipped....
  4. Gummee!

Gummee! That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer:
    @BB: dood. There's at least one guy in this thread that started riding in the 70s, I started riding in the 80s. Ya think we *may* just know what we're talking about?!

If you're going to throw money at something, throw money at something worth throwing money at. :nod If you like steel, go find an old SL or 531 frame. If you're touring on it, go find an old touring frame. They're out there for inexpensive.

If you're not willing to listen to the answers, why ask the questions?

M
  5. fullmonte

fullmonte Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer:
    He's not the first person to show up in this thread with a turd polishing agenda.:deal I remember this happening recently with somebody else. Some guys want to pump 8 grand into a KLR.:lol3
  6. Chisenhallw

Chisenhallw Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer:

...because maybe he likes participating in the community. Gummee, I got mad love for ya. Any day of the week I'm in nokesville, first beer's on me. And you do know a tremendous amount about bikes, but if you come off like an arrogant poncing cockhitler with stinky tuna meatcurtains for lips, nobody's going to care if you're right or not. If he doesn't wanna listen to the answers, then let the man be wrong. It's not gonna kill you.
  7. ducnut

ducnut Long timer

Oddometer:
  8. Gummee!

Oddometer:
    Awww ain't that true love... :raabia

I've made the mistake BB is making. I understand why too. ...but in the end, I had an expensive, hoopty, POS that didn't ride nearly as well, work nearly as well, or last nearly as long as if I'd started with something nicer. By nicer I don't mean $thousands I mean $hundreds.

A pricepoint mtn frame (~$100) with bad boy style wheels (cheap 29er disc wheels) on it will be a better starting spot than a department store bike with 27" wheels on it. :nod

M
  9. Chisenhallw

Oddometer:
    So what?
  10. Gummee!

Oddometer:
    Intelligence: learning from your own mistakes

Wisdom: learning from someone else's mistakes

Just sayin

M
  11. Chisenhallw

Oddometer:
    And sometimes you have to let other people be wrong for a while. Like I said, it ain't gonna kill you and you come off like a douche sometimes when you deign to instruct other people. Let it go, gummee. Let it go.
  12. Gummee!

Oddometer:
    You've met me. I AM a douche*. :nod

Tend to be a polite douche, but a douche nonetheless.

M

*I prefer 'asshole' myself, but whatever works
  13. Aurelius

Aurelius Long timer

Oddometer:
    70's? I started riding in 1968, so get lost n00b! :flip
  14. Chisenhallw

Oddometer:
    Nah. You're a nice guy.
  15. vfr700

vfr700 172S

Oddometer:
    You're not a douche, just sharing a bit of life experience. If people don't get it, that doesn't make you a prick, or your opinion offensive. Now if you don't mind I need leave...going to install Di2 on my Roadmaster.
  16. Tallbastid

Tallbastid Stay Grateful

Oddometer:
    I always thought the argument against department store bikes was safety - the welds, materials and geometry just aren't up to spirited riding, or touring for that matter.

I think Gummee knows his stuff, and he's trying to save the OP some cash and road rash - I don't see the harm in it?
  17. vfr700

vfr700 172S

Oddometer:
    You are correct, & throwing good money at one is not a decision I'd make.
  18. mud

mud I just wander.....

Oddometer:
    On a different note.....

For those of us with a little wanderlust that needs to be satisfied by reading about others, check this out.

http://bunyanvelo.com/
  19. zouch

zouch part-time wanderer

Oddometer:
    *so* many things wrong here,... (starting with a Dept store MTB that has caliper brakes?)

but seriously; if the fork that's going on there is a Cannondale S1 carbon, isn't that a road fork that's going to have a different axle-to-crown race dimension than what the frame geometry was designed for?
    i can't imagine that's going to handle any better than poo, due to the slacker head tube angle it's going to create.

20. bogieboy

bogieboy Long timer

Oddometer:
    The geo of the frame is a late 80s frame, and it sucked balls as anmtb frame because its the same frame they used for road bikes... The geo is very close to spot on with my brothers 2 yr old dawes, fork rake included... So even though it was sold as an mtb, its really not... Just cause i come across as a noob, doesnt mean i am... I may be younger than most, but i do know how to build a damned bike... I been building up frames for 12 yrs now... I even have built my own wheelsets...

Will this build be an optimum build? Hell no.... Its just a fun build so far, to prove folks wrong who say it cant be done or will ride like shit... If it does, i can swap 99% of the parts to a decent frame.... So no worries there i have made sure anything i get CAN be used on a modern frame... So far the only stuff that wont swap right over will be front derailleur and BB.... Everythi g else is all industry standard (and yes i can get a headset to run a 1" fork on a frame for 1 1/8th)

So... If yoi dont like what i am doing, so be it... I know its not perfect...i dont expect it to be perfect... Its not like i am trying to build a $3k race bike off of this frame...

I love how so many people cant think outside of the box for stuff like this... And as said if its a shitty bike when its done, i can swap it all over to a road frame...done...