Of Moose & Men....an epic journey to Alaska and the Top of the World

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by SpecialAgentNancy, Jul 13, 2013.

1. xcountry41

xcountry41 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Russ,,
    Really nice to see this post from you. Hope Nancy doesn't mind us invading her excellent ride report. But I'm betting she's cool. Yes Shelley enjoyed our couple of days two up. Not begging for her own bike or anything but she's a great sport and besides what's not to like about cruising through some of the most gorgeous country on the planet. I'm seriously considering doing it again cuz I'm kicking my butt for not riding the Dempster to Inuvik but I sorta had tunnel vision around getting back to Whitehorse to meet her and show her what I had doing all the planning for! I have a brother who lives in Calabasas, CA who just got a Beemer RT and I'm hoping to convince him to come up and do the trip to Dawson with me. We'll see, maybe I'll have to go south. So you hit a deer!? I hope you are O.K. I was watching like a hawk for them this morning on my commute home from nightshift at 06:30. Hope all is well with you and your family and that you get to enjoy that Wee strom . It is a sharp bike and there's lots worse to be stuck with. Maybe you need to relocate and retire up here in Gods country! Things are hopping here in Alberta and you'd be halfway back to Dawson city! Maybe we could turn you into a skier!! Anyway take care, I have to sign off and hit the sack.
    Regards, Gary
  2. Turbo Ghost

Turbo Ghost Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nancy,
    I noticed you wear the "heat-out" shirt. Is it just the shirt or the whole outfit? I had a feeling there was no difference between the heat-out and the freeze-out other than the name printed on them. What are your opinions of the gear? I see them on sale for very cheap quite often and I've got a long trip coming next year and was thinking of getting a set or two. Thanks!
  3. SpecialAgentNancy

SpecialAgentNancy & your little dog 2!

Oddometer:
    I have both the top and pants both long (no shorts or short sleeve shirts)
    There is a big difference between the heat out and freeze out. Just go see for yourself.

But buy them both.

I use the heat out alone on hot days, it does seem to help my body breathe better rather than sit in a pool of sweat as cotton can often feel in super hot temps. It seems to control odor too if you wear it multiple days in a row without laundering. (It seems to air out well overnight each time)

When it's cold, I put the heat out layer first then the freeze out over. Don't mistake the freeze out for the heat out. The freeze out is super warm and can be worn alone and keep you toasty but I like the heat out under in case I do sweat a little so I don't get that clammy cold feel with just the freeze out layer.

The heat out layer needs to be extremely tight to be effective. I bought one size bigger because I was a bit uncomfortable with how snug it felt initially and now that I have the small, the evaporation of sweat off my body and preservation of my core temp seems to act better than the medium which isn't nearly at tight.

Plus they are black (don't show dirt) have long sleeves (won't get the reverse motorcycle wrist sun tan) pack up small and is very comfortable against the skin. I only use these under my outer gear now. I tossed all my yoga pants and long sleeve nike cotton tops.
  4. Turbo Ghost

Turbo Ghost Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info! I'll probably invest in a set or two!
  5. zoki1

zoki1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :clap::clap Bravo !!!! very nice RR !!! thanks !!!!
  6. SpecialAgentNancy

Oddometer:
    Kul Mom was the kingpin in my decision to go it alone....she took the time to write a really get PM that hit all the right buttons in the right way.
  7. nsfw

nsfw Death Valley Noobs Rally Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    hi nancy, awesome and i'm impressed. you did it....:clap

i get 20 vacation days/year and will only get me halfway. makes me want to quick my job and ride.....:cry

alaska is still on my list and want to do it solo, yes you're an inspiration.

thanks and hope i see you at the next noobs rally. love to hear more about your adventures.
  8. nomeranger7

nomeranger7 Always an Adventure Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey Nancy,
    I finally found your RR and I enjoyed reading every bit of it (great write up and awesome photos!) I am glad your trip to Alaska and D2D worked out so very well for you!! Unfortunately, I ended up working on the slope all summer (missed D2D again) and I missed the best summer we have had up here in years :(: But every cloud has a silver lining...I scored a brand new 2012 KTM 990 Adventure and I was able to put just over 1300 miles on her earlier this month before coming back to work :thumb Again, thanks for taking the time to post your awesome road report! Cheers!
    Len
  9. SpecialAgentNancy

Oddometer:
    Hey Joel

Nice to hear from you and glad you enjoyed my adventure. A LOT of people on ADV contributed in a big way to such a fantastic time.

Might see you in March in Death Valley....
    N
    danisOTR likes this.
  10. nsfw

nsfw Death Valley Noobs Rally Super Supporter

Oddometer:

nancy, i'm envious you get invited by many people in their homes.....what are my chances.....:D

the 2014 death valley noobs rally thread has started and filling up fast.

see you there.
  11. Lappeman

Lappeman He's Down Again!

Oddometer:
    Great ride and report Nancy! :clap I've been to Alaska twice and both times it's rained almost every day...latest trip was this July/Aug up to Deadhorse.
  12. IVAN38

IVAN38 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Nancy
    thank you for this RR :clap

very nice photos , Impressive landscapes

All this tempts me to visit this magnificent and wild place

thank you...

:lurk:lurk:lurk

As we say in France : " bon boulot" ( good job)
  13. SpecialAgentNancy

Oddometer:
    I know, I was warned so many times but I had spectacular dry weather almost the whole time!
  14. Lappeman

Lappeman He's Down Again!

Oddometer:
    Your blessed...or I'm cursed, one or the other :lol3 maybe both :evil
  15. ExpeditionMarc

ExpeditionMarc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What a great report. In 80 days I'll be heading to Alaska solo. Your ride report was very informative. Thanks
  16. PapaShifty

PapaShifty Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great RR ... I started reading and was about to move to another but was hooked :) I love the fact you did this for the most part on your own ... brave or silly or both :) Well done! I'm doing a father son ride to Alaska leaving June 4th from Valemount BC ..... 29 days .... Memory maker, I hope my son can keep up lol. Thanks for taking time to write up your adventure ..... All the best ....