Large CSM Hack, Small Schnauzer

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by davebig, Sep 16, 2012.

1. davebig

davebig Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer:
    Claude
    I knew you where going to say that ! I've been thinking about asking you about it.DB
  2. claude

claude Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer:
    I didn't say anything .....lol.
  3. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    Claude, I'm not sure I understand your earlier post. Are you talking about taking a car tire front wheel and making it more forgiving by rounding off the shoulders? That would be a lot of work I think. Or do you have something more obscure (to me) in mind?
  4. davebig

Oddometer:
    Drone
    He raced sprint cars they often made or modified their own tires for the dirt starting off with they're favorite tire and adding deeper grooves and more blocks, I had thought about cutting some grooves through the Nankangs and hopefully creating a better steer tire but groover cost more than ice & snow blizzaks or the 145/65 Firestone version.
    The Conti wintercontact works great on the hard packed ice and snow we get on the secondary roads here in the mid west.

On a couple other notes the 33/11 is probably pretty close to the right gear only because I wouldn't want 6th any lower 4200 rpm at 65 and 5000 at 75.
    Claude
    You'll be pleased to know that my setup is back to the way I picked it up according to marks on things, bought a Bosch laser level and toe checking is very easy between a piece of cardboard and my insulated garage door.
    It was chilly at 28 or 30 today.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Justin says Hello Crystal look what the old fools doing to me now !
  5. Coopdway

Coopdway Curiouser

Oddometer:
    So Dave, I'm DRIVing up to the IMS gathering next weekend but I'm more than willing to save you and Justin a parking spot for the rig :D
  6. claude

claude Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer:
    Drone...If you mean my reference to the picture I posted. That is an electric grooving iron to groove tires as Dave mentioned. The one pictured is the old style. Very simple to use and not that expensive. .
  7. claude

claude Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer:
    Dave Big wrote:
    >>>Claude
    You'll be pleased to know that my setup is back to the way I picked it up according to marks on things, bought a Bosch laser level and toe checking is very easy between a piece of cardboard and my insulated garage door.
    It was chilly at 28 or 30 today.<<<

It has been cold here also Dave. My driveway is a total sheet of ice and probably will be for a while. (we live a mile up in the woods on a ridge).Gald you are up and running again.
    Anyhow make sure the two piece machined mounting clamps have all four bolts tightened evenly. Dunno if I mentioned that earlier to you.
  8. davebig

Oddometer:
    Given my last changes where 145/65/15 front tire my nose got a little lower or one could say out of joint.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I added more preload to my front shock and placed a 1cm or 3/8" spacer at the top of the front shock and the sub frame is level again.
    My next thing will be a shortened torque arm in the rear, the r1100/50GS 1100s w/sport suspension use a 365mm torque arm the regular 1100s is 385mm when one gets the sport setup they use the shorter arm to raise the bike up and give it more ground clearance.
    I bought a billet 385mm with cosmetic issues off fleaby and have shortened it to 355mm , haven't installed yet as I have lots of irons in the fire,but fellow inmate and wheel builder Stroker runs one he made adjustable at about that dimension.I'll post outcome.DB
  9. davebig

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    A couple of Moto Techniques torque arms the lower 365mm the other started out at 385 is now 355mm, it helped raise the front but not much 1/4" to 3/8" but I'm reasonably sure it'll work better under power, but I won't know that for awhile. Being a uneducated philistine I only know that shortening that arm raises the front explaining it is better done elsewhere.

Thanks Anton http://www.largiader.com/paralever/ see Real World - functionality.
    More http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=216115
  10. davebig

Oddometer:
    Here's Strokers take on adjustable paralever torque arm, I believe he uses it to raise the front and reduce the trail, I should have built an adjustable one but I'm lazy.DB
    [​IMG]
  11. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    I wonder what that does to the needle bearings with the FD always in an angled position? Stroker uses the beefed up needle bearings from Chicken Racing. Maybe this is why.
  12. davebig

Oddometer:
    Ned your up early !!!!!!!!
    It's not a problem for the needle bearings they don't move much at all and are always suffering anyway the bushing are just more supportive.There could be a problem with binding the back U joint on the drive shaft but one would have to have the paralever broken to do it.DB
  13. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    Yup. My internal clock is out of whack. 2nd day in a row.

I am really looking forward to seeing your rig rolling down the road with all these changes. That new front tire looks like a monster! I know you said it's only a 145 but in the pic it looks like a 205! You should get a ton of bite from that tire on all those paved roads you got there in the midwest. Can't wait to hear your feedback.
  14. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    By the way, it seems like Justin is getting short shrift in this thread, even though he's named in the thread title.

Thinking of Justin, how about a custom-knit Norwegian-style 100% wool sweater? http://motleymutt.com

[​IMG]
    mauroarriagada likes this.
  15. davebig

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    The hole where battery and ABSi unit used to reside, rats nest is two piaa harness's bundled neatly with associated fuses and relays, I'm running welding cable to the from the battery box on right to my BMW harness.
    [​IMG]
    The battery box and existing cables, battery cables are fine but bourgeois power consumers like me want welding cable as its allot more flexible .Onward and forward.DB
  16. davebig

Oddometer:
    Justin who gets grayer and darker by the moment likes black and grey kind of a Wehrmacht look (overbearing German) he does have a little to high of an opinion of himself (former stud terrier). He may not start any trouble but when approaching other dogs he assumes a dominant stance(head up tail up) and often ignores everyone else as though he's the Oberfurher and everyone else better pay attention, the comedic part he's a lover not a fighter with a really good bluff.DB

[​IMG]
    He like jackets from sstack.com horse people http://www.sstack.com/giftspet_dog-products_dog-blankets-coats/

Just finished getting shorter paralever installed which required loosening the motorcycle and sidecar sub frames finished up and it appears I didn't get much for my efforts with the 65 series tires at both ends I'm 1" shorter than my R1150gs with stock wheels and Tourances,onward and forward.Waiting for welding cable for battery connections then I'm leaving it alone till spring ! SO help me dog ! DB
  17. claude

claude Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer:
    Just finished getting shorter paralever installed which required loosening the motorcycle and sidecar sub frames finished up and it appears I didn't get much for my efforts with the 65 series tires at both ends I'm 1" shorter than my R1150gs with stock wheels and Tourances,onward and forward.Waiting for welding cable for battery connections then I'm leaving it alone till spring ! SO help me dog ! DB[/QUOTE]

Well when spring gets here dave come visit and we will attack some dirt 'roads' on jack's mountain together. :evil
  18. Wolfgang55

Wolfgang55 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Claude, are you going to do this front tire/wheel conversion ?
  19. davebig

Oddometer:
    Claude sells Strokers wheels I got the back one from Claude and the front from Stroker later on.DB
  20. claude

claude Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer:
    Like Dave wrote we do sell Stroker's wheels. Great product from a great guy and good friend.. However we will soon be doing a leading link that will allow one to run the same wheel/tire combo on the front, rear and sidecar on a 1200gs. The typical tire for this situation would be a 165r15 although other sizes will fit.