Compact tractors

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by R.J., Aug 28, 2010.

1. RedRocker

RedRocker Native Texican Supporter

Oddometer:
    I used a diverter valve, you can see it sticking up on the right arm of the loader. You have a button on the joy stick that diverts the up and down function to open and close. Push the button and push forward on the joy stick to close the grapple.
  2. oj may

oj may Have bike, will travel.

Oddometer:
  3. Srbenda

Srbenda Embassy of South Carolina

Oddometer:
    I went to look at a Kubota today, it's a BX2200D, with a 60" deck and a FEL, it's got about 700 hours, and it's 10 years old. I think it will work perfectly for what I need it for, but it's still a decent chunk of change to spend on an implement that will get used 1 or 2 hours a week for mowing/ snow plowing/ etc.
  4. kobudo28

kobudo28 Banned

Oddometer:
    I have the same tractor, about the same vintage, bought it with less that 100 hours on it and it now has over 300. I have a 54" deck, FEL, 50" front mount blower, 5' rear scraper blade, weight box and chains. It came with a tow behind trailer, a nice one, that I have since sold. I bought a PHD, used, completed a major fence project with it and then resold it.

I don't know what you have for property, but I use mine all the time. Mow once a week and every time it snows I use it as well. I use my FEL all the time for things that I once muscled around. The potential to use it more than you think you will is there, depending on your situation.

My BX is my favorite cordless tool.
  5. oj may

oj may Have bike, will travel.

Oddometer:
    My '11 BX25 now has 180 hours on it. It got more time than the bike this last year. My 5 acres is about 2/3 reclaimed from 12 years of neglect and next summer should see the end.

I am removing all Box Elders and Buckthorns. Multiflora Roses are a thing of the past. We have a lot of Black Walnut, Hickory, Oak, Blue Spruce, Norway Spruce, White and Yellow Pine and various fruit trees. Ash trees still voumteer, but as soon as they are old enough to have rough bark, the Emerald Ash Borer gets them, I have about 35 dead ash that I am going to put in the stove.

The Kubota has been a real blessing, I would have struggled for a decade to accomplish what has been done over the last 16 months.
  6. Srbenda

Srbenda Embassy of South Carolina

Oddometer:
    I think what both of you said is what I am hoping to accomplish, I have 5 acres, and about 2 of it is cleared, the rest is wooded jungle. I think with a ratchet rake and a Kubota, I can do a whole lot of clearing that would require me spending money on other people with equipment.
  7. Adam E

Adam E OK

Oddometer:
    After great debate we're getting closer to purchasing a tractor.

I started looking at Kubotas with the intent to buy last week. There was a communication lapse, and my wife flipped out when I came home with a $34,000 QUOTE for a new tractor. I'll spare you the details, but she is acting like she's OK with it now, but now she's got me thinking it's too much money.

Here's what I shopped around for:
    Kubota L3240 HST
    R4 tires
    Loaded rear tires
    LA724 Loader with HD Quick attach bucket
    3rd function valve for loader

66" root rake grapple
    84" hydraulic angle Quick attach snow plow
    72" Box scraper
    60" Brush Hog

Fiberglass Canopy w/ work lights

Local dealer quoted $38,482, and that included a USED snow plow

Dealer 45 minutes away quoted $35,851

Dealer an hour away asked, "Do you mind last year's model that's been sitting here for a year? Never used, Never demoed, and the NEXT model up in HP?" I said no, and he quoted $34,700 for the whole deal (L3540 for what it's worth)

Kubota has 0% financing.

Talk to me. I've got 16 acres to clean up- tons of brush, logs, stumps to move and dispose of. A couple acres of brushy stuff that I'd like to mow and turn it into more of a field. 300 foot hardpack driveway to plow and maintain. Thoughts?:ear
  8. kobudo28

kobudo28 Banned

Oddometer:
    Townline Equip is NOT your friend.
  9. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    I do all the above stuff with an L3830. I don't know how much snow you get, but a 84" blade might be too much in deep wet snow. I've got a 6' blade on ours and it works fine up until about a foot of deep wet stuff.
  10. small_e_900

small_e_900 Amanda carried it

Oddometer:
    Have you looked at Kioti tractors

Look Here
  11. Adam E

Adam E OK

Oddometer:
    You know what- I agree. I take my sweet ass time making big financial decisions and stopped by several times when I was looking for used excavators and backhoes. I found their used inventory to be overpriced, and I always had the "pleasure" of dealing with one of the owners, and to listen to them talk, I'm surprised they don't charge admission to step foot in the showroom. All they ever did was throw a brochure at me and send me on my way.

Now that the excavator is gone and we're looking at tractors, I decided to give them one last shot and by some dumb luck ended up talking to a guy about my age who is not related to an owner. He was friendly, knowledgeable, and took me outside to show me a few different machines and implements. Class act. But after doing some comparison shopping I find that he's charging more for a used implement (the plow) than others are getting for new ones- that pisses me off. I know it's not the salesman's fault- he's just doing what the owners tell him to do, and he's trying to put food on his table. I've considered going in with my best price to see if they'll match it, but I've heard that the old man is known to kick people out for doing that. :lol3 In the end I'll probably send the sales kid a gift card or something- because he's the one that sold me on Kubota. It's just too bad he works for people that think their inventory is worth it's weight in gold.

What dealer do you use? Champlain valley equipment in Middlebury is conveinent for parts because the in laws are there. They bought out Riverside Tractor in Berlin, and they're the ones with the killer quote.
  12. Adam E

Adam E OK

Oddometer:
    I thought about that, but all the dealers seem to think it's the right size for the machine. If it's an occasional problem I can suffer through using the bucket instead. If it's always a problem, I'll have an excuse to buy a plasma cutter. :deal
  13. Adam E

Adam E OK

Oddometer:
    Yes, I have. In fact very close friends of ours have a brand new one- a 45 HP model. It seems OK, and I've used it a couple of times. I didn't like some of the ergonomics of it, and the throttle was sticky.

It also appears that the local dealer is in the process of going under. I work with a guy who wrenches for them on the side, and he was very reluctant to give out info.
  14. kobudo28

kobudo28 Banned

Oddometer:
    I use Townline for parts because they are close. My tractor came from MB Tractor and Equipment in Tilton. I think they have a dealer in Plymouth, NH but I am not sure about that.

Yeah, Townline acts like they are doing you a favor, pretty snobish, arrogant, over priced, reminds me of Gerrish Honda to a large extent. :lol3
    Most locals have the same low opinion of Townline.

Head on in with another offer and see what he does. What's the worst that can happen, he gets bent out of shape? Geeze, that would be too bad! Lost sale and all.
  15. Adam E

Adam E OK

Oddometer:
    Went to CW Gray's Auction this morning. They had a few tractors, but all but one were gear shift transmissions. That's what I grew up using, but it seems so dumb when Hydro is available. Having used friends' with hydro, I can't imagine going back. And on top of that they were all pretty well abused. Didn't even stick around for bidding.

Stopped by the Deere dealer in North Haverhill and priced out an equivalent deere and holy cow are they expensive. I'd love to have one for silly reasons- John Deere stuff is sort of a family thing, but for nearly a $5000 premium I can't stomach it.

Maybe I can figure something out next week. Still interested in any opinions on my configuration and implements....
  16. kobudo28

kobudo28 Banned

Oddometer:
    Taking a break from servicing my Kubota, grabbing some lunch.

Implements get expensive and I am guessing the root rake grapple is pretty pricey. If you need one, you need one.

The front blade does seem a bit big for that tractor but if it can handle it you will move some snow. Are you going with loaded tires, counter weight, chains, etc? My tires are not loaded but I run a real good set of chains on the rear. I don't use my bucket for snow, I use a 48 inch blower, front mount, which I find faster and no snow banks. With a gravel driveway you can set a blower up properly. I wouldn't get a rear mount, hell on the neck. With your heavy equipment back ground the balde and bucket will probably work great.

If had to do it again I'd get a Curtis Cab for the winter, particuarly with a blower.

Have you thought about shopping for used? You can get some good tractors with low hours reasonably priced. Granted, the financing (if you are) would be different and you will probably not buy one with all of the attachments that you are looking for. I bought mine used with less than 100 hours on it.

You could also go new and get the attachments that you need right off and keep your eyes open for good used pcs. and save some money.

Just my .02.
  17. kobudo28

kobudo28 Banned

Oddometer:
  18. Adam E

Adam E OK

Oddometer:
    Yeah I've been looking at used for a while, but haven't found one with the factory 3rd function valve or one that will accept a factory 3rd function valve.

I think you're right about used implements- and that plow is a good find, but I'd have to rig up a skid steer style quick attach to it so it worked with the loader. Again- another GREAT excuse to buy a welder. :deal

I won't really need the box scraper or brush hog till next year, and if I take those out of the equation the number is much more palatable. Also gives me all winter to look for used ones.

We're off to the symphony tonight- I'll see if the boss and I can come to a decision tomorrow.
  19. kobudo28

kobudo28 Banned

Oddometer:
    http://burlington.craigslist.org/grd/3375807313.html
  20. DC2wheels

DC2wheels Castle Anthrax troll Supporter

Oddometer:
    Adam,

First, I haven't read every entry in this thread so if this is a repeat post, can't remember........

Where are you? We are in the Franconia Notch area.

I have a 30hp New Holland 4wd w/ FEL that I use around our land and maintain our .4 mile unpaved road- grading in summer, snow blowing in winter. Rake, grading blade, box blade, chipper and snow blower.

Our T1510 has been flawless.

Good luck.