Anybody doin LA Barstow to Vegas

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by officerleroy, Nov 15, 2012.

1. officerleroy

officerleroy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  2. Motorfiets

Motorfiets Long timer

Oddometer:
  3. dualsportride

dualsportride Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  4. DoWorkSon

DoWorkSon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Whats the difference between the adventure/dual sport route?
  5. vts

vts Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Im going. What tires are you going to run? Heard there is going to be lots of sand.
  6. officerleroy

Oddometer:
    I talked to the race director about that specific question. According to him the adventure route is for guys who "are afraid to mount roll charts on the bars because they'll scratch them" and/or "leave their GS constantly clean and polished in the garage next to their range rover". I told him I'd classify myself as an intermediate who's not afraid to ride the 800GS and he said I should definitely do the easy route. There's some sand to slog through and it'll be a long day but he still recommends it. That's what I'm planning on doing.

As for tires, i just ordered a fresh set of pirelli scorpion rallys. I love the front tire- real aggressive and big time confidence inspiring. The rear is very predictable and works a treat as well.
  7. PatrickM

PatrickM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    From what I read, the adventure route is the easier route especially if you have a bigger/heavier bike (less falling over, less damage when you do), than the route which is a bit more tricky for the dual sporters.

Wondering if a person can get by w/ the stock 90/10 tires (Tourances, Anakees) or is switching out to the knobbies mandatory.
  8. officerleroy

Oddometer:
    My understanding is that there's 3 routes, "Easy" "Hard" and "Adventure".
  9. officerleroy

Oddometer:
    Uh...not sure why this got moved to the Rockies regional forum....the ride is in CA and the convo was 1/2 about 800GS setup.
  10. spafxer

spafxer Long timer

Oddometer:
    No adventure route this year, just easy and hard. A few friends are riding the big GS and GSA's. Sand and loose rocks are the words... :lol3

The main thing is to get a good early start and keep moving.

A number of riders like the Pirelli MT 43 on the lighter bikes also.. Trials tire. :deal