DirtyADV going fuel injected??? - 990R

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by DirtyADV, Aug 9, 2013.

1. DirtyADV

DirtyADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    With the 320mm suspension the strudiest sidestand relocator is needed step on the peg to get up on the bike =)

Should I loose this heat shield I will probably cut the stock and weld it in place.

Will for sure write here (maybe PM you) should I have trouble with TuneECU, now that I have the cable I will do a little read up and give it a try first.

Will use the supplied screws.

Quite annoyed when the other day wanted to get the front header off to be able to drain coolant and had to take the shield off to get header out.

Tempted to cut this beauty of carbon fiber down to size so header can come out without removing it.

Not all things are better on a newer bike, cant see how much better this lager heat shield on the newer bikes are compared to the solution on the 950?

/Johan
  2. pdxmotorhead

pdxmotorhead Long timer

Oddometer:
    My stock 950 heat shield has to come off to get that pipe out and its still a wrestling match… :baldy

Dave
  3. DirtyADV

DirtyADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do you have the kind that only has 2 bolts?

[​IMG]

Picture from back when chasing an oil leak.

That heat shield have not been removed from the header since new and header has been off the bike several times.

/Johan
  4. DirtyADV

DirtyADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have now moved the clutch and basket, since the rekluse is easiest to handle with the bike on its side to not have balls all over the place both were laid down:

[​IMG]

Had forgotten that the rekluse had a steel plate at the bottom, had ordered an extra outer friction disc and will try to skip the extra thin one and see how that works but a normal friction disc should be possible to use since the bottom steel plate compared to the normal clutch.

Have some minor wear on the CJ beefier clutch basket:

[​IMG]

But when looking at how worn the tabs on the friction discs are I might have to give the old bike some love in the form of a set of new friction discs:

[​IMG]

/Johan
  5. DirtyADV

DirtyADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    So looked a little more at the dog house and the clamps holding it in place are annoying to work with.

Had some nylon plastic laying around, so made a try making a snap out dog house:

[​IMG]

And it lifts right out:

[​IMG]

Will see if it holds up!

/Johan
  6. Zander

Zander Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice work. Great improvement on the original design. :clap
  7. DirtyADV

DirtyADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    Soon my bike will be disassembled without tools ...maybe not.

But would like to get hold of a winged style DZUS that would fit the glove compartment with the snap out bracket, had some but they are a smaller size.

/Johan
  8. DirtyADV

DirtyADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tried lifting the front wheel some when filling coolant since there won't be any wheelie until the spring:

[​IMG]

So once the bikes were buttoned back up and I had played a little with TuneECU it was time for a test start:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/UojYFJu1TKw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

But there is some strange high pitch sound from the new bike.

Hope its just the clutch, did try to skip the extra thin friction plate at the bottom of the stack and the steel place showed some wear for the bent spacer washer spring thingie.

And the old 950 had cam chain clatter as after an oil change, have noticed that before after its been on its side.

Any thoughts about the strange sound? Please say!

Cheers!

/Johan
  9. DirtyADV

DirtyADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have some new friction plates on the way for the old bike to get it working.

Ran into an issue with the seat, missing one rubber spacer (well have 3 seats so no problem right now).

But would like to get hold of one so they are all complete but can find this rubber piece as a spare part?

[​IMG]

Adding another question also anyone use the glovebox for First Aid kit? And can direct me to a suitable kit that will fit there?

/Johan
  10. Zander

Zander Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  11. DirtyADV

DirtyADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    They look to fit what Im looking for, question is the inner bag a rip to open? See it seems to have a zip-lock seal to close also?

Miss blister patches but that can be added, that is what has been mostly used so they should be easy to get to also.

Have a Lifesystem First Aid kit that I have been using for longer travels, very complete kit but a bit on the big side and will NOT fit inside the glove box.

Thanks for the help, have to see if they can be bought in Sweden or how bad shipping would be.

/Johan
  12. desmorado

desmorado Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  13. DirtyADV

DirtyADV Long timer

Oddometer:
  14. Zander

Zander Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Zip-Lock seal on the inner bag.
  15. desmorado

Oddometer:
    Hei Johan,

My 950 glovebox is waterproof (rainproof) from factory. I bet, Your`s also.

Have had this biltema`s first aid kit laying in there for 3 seasons - no problemo.

Regards
  16. DirtyADV

DirtyADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    There is a break in the seal on the 990 glovebox but still should be quite protected.

The Biltema kit in a sturdy plastic bag might be the cheapest simplest solution.

I like cheap right now, wanted to keep the 950 another year or 2 but since the LC8 is going out of style if felt right to buy one now.

/Johan
  17. DirtyADV

DirtyADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    That biltema first aid kit wont fit in a 990 new style glove box:

[​IMG]

Maybe they had one that was slightly smaller a few years ago or the 950 has a bigger glovebox?

/Johan
  18. DirtyADV

DirtyADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mounted some straps under the seat to be able to easily hook up a kriega pack:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

/Johan
  19. desmorado

Oddometer:
    Hei,
    Seems that the biltema kit has changed. I got then (few years ago) a kit with soft shell. Unfortunately my bike is in molecules right now, so I can try to make glovebox assembly and take the picture.
    Regards
  20. DirtyADV

DirtyADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is more of a hard shell, would have been great had it been a little smaller.

Think the glove box is a little smaller also then the 950, was so long since I had that useable, been occupied by a Pyndon pre-filter the last few years.

The CPR dog house might be another option, but the heat might ruin some stuff in a first aid kit? Most have some burn cream and the most important and mostly used blister patches might not like.

And its harder to get to you have to get the seat of and depending if things are strapped to it might be annoying for just a band aid or something small.

Used to have some tank panniers mounted to the front fairings had the first aid kit in one of those before but not sure I will mount them on the new bike, maybe if I can figure out an easier way to take them on and off.

[​IMG]

/Johan