Heart of the West ADV 'Roundabout'

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by byways, Dec 2, 2012.

1. XFanMan

XFanMan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tony, My 2 brother-in-laws and a couple of friends will be doing your route next August or early September. I'll contact you soon to let you know what our timeframe is to get your suggestions and purchase your tracks and expertise. Your posts are a tantalizing reminder of what we have in store for us. Keep them coming :clap

Thanks -- Scott
  2. byways

byways byways

Oddometer:
    Welcome aboard, Scott!

As Mr. Eakins notes (Thanks, Bill!), H.o.W. is continually being improved. So you'll benefit from the latest on-the-ground research (including the expanding list of lodgings, if they're of interest), as well as real-time reports on road conditions, wildfires, weather impacts ... and upgrades to the route itself.

And as always, I'm available 24/7 to do what it takes to help you have a terrific trip ...
  3. XFanMan

XFanMan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tony, I just tried to email you directly at your gmail address from your blog but it said it didn't exist. I then resent it via the email link through ADVrider and it seemed to go through but if you don't get it let me know.

Thanks again...Scott
  4. Elkster88

Elkster88 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Friend here.

After seeing the photos and ride reports, I am excited about doing the trip. I've got a few months to mod up the trusty KLR, and I can't wait. I'm sure the other guys feel the same way.
  5. byways

byways byways

Oddometer:
    H.o.W. and I will be ready to roll!

Finishing up a terrific update as we speak ...
  6. byways

byways byways

Oddometer:
    Got it, Scott! Thanks so much. You'll be hearing from me shortly ...

tony

7. .52089

.52089 Long timer

Oddometer:
    And the adventure is officially commenced. I'm the DR350 rider/friend in the above group. :clap
  8. byways

byways byways

Oddometer:
    In case you need to gear up for '14 ... H.o.W. veteran, ADV inmate and retailer ABuck99 is clearing out inventory of NEW gear at cost here!
  9. byways

byways byways

Oddometer:
    Wow! Check out the hilarious ride report by an inmate of this cosmopolitan chain gang ...

10. InTheMuck

InTheMuck So it goes...

Oddometer:
    Amongst the has beens & the addicts (Milwaukee)
    This route looks amazing! Some friends and I are considering doing it next year and will be in touch if it works out :evil
    We are just starting to talk about when we could all get away...and I am wondering, what are the pros/cons for going anywhere from mid-late June to early September? We probably couldn't do the full trip and would be limited to approximately 7 days on the trail to allow time to get to/from Wisco.
  11. byways

byways byways

Oddometer:
    I.T. Muck:

June typically is a wet month along much of the route. Expect mud, and perhaps even lingering snow on some shaded north-facing mountain slopes.

July and August see unsettled weather ... hot, with passing afternoon and perhaps nighttime storms.

All three months can see wildfires. At times, fires can require on-the-fly rerouting, which I try to assist with promptly so travelers don't lose precious vacation time.

The period mid-September to early October consistently provides the best conditions. The weather is more settled and cooler. It's typically drier (altho this past September was unseasonably stormy). The aspen and cottonwood trees have begun turning color. And mosquitoes are gone.

Nights can be cold by mid September, especially in the mountain valleys. Also, September and October bring out the hunting traffic. Where the route is in proximity to college towns and harvest-season events, September can mean an expensive shortage of motel rooms.

Only have a week? No problem at all. While the full route is a grand loop requiring a couple of weeks, it is divided into shorter yet rewarding sub-loops to accommodate shorter travel itineraries. In fact, I tweaked it this past season for quite a number of clients who could only travel for a week.

By design, Heart of the West's configuration makes it customizable to individual time limitations, travel styles and preferences. No worries there. And if you need an assist ... I'm here to help!

Below is the Teton Range, along the route ...

[​IMG]
  12. DockingPilot

DockingPilot Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer:
    That's what I'm takin bout !

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk Pro
  13. InTheMuck

InTheMuck So it goes...

Oddometer:
    Hell yeah, that is a awesome photo!

Thanks for the reply byways...very helpful information :clap We have other logistical issues to address to get our group together for the same week, so it won't be as easy as just picking the best time for weather or other factors. The busy hunting season is a concern, but then again so is the thick clay/mud I have seen in some of the reports.

Regardless, I really hope we can make this happen in 2014!
  14. byways

byways byways

Oddometer:
    Just let me know if I can assist ...
  15. CaseyB

CaseyB Adventually

Oddometer:
    I was in the planning stages of a trip for just about a year.

First was Heart of west, then I switched and was going to do the TAT. Ended up coming full circle back to Tony and came up with a hybrid of the HOTW.

Dealing with Tony is kinda of what sold me. His enthusiasm is geniune, his knowledge is top shelf. Heck, when I was getting close to departure I think he was more excited than I was :lol3

Well, not quite.

I started Sept. 1st and even though I hit a ton of crappy weather, in hindsight I would of still kept with the same month. With the Aspens showing some color and the weather being a bit cooler, it is just awesome. Yeah I hit some "oh, we haven't seen weather like this in 10years," :huh I still had an absolute blast.

Plus, crazy weather makes for fun pictures
    [​IMG]

Thanks for all you do Byways.
    byways likes this.
  16. InTheMuck

InTheMuck So it goes...

Oddometer:
    Another great photo, and thanks for your advice CaseyB! I've read some but not all of your report, as well as the portion of the LC8 report that you were included in...seems like you had an awesome time. Looking forward to reading the rest of your report :nod
  17. Questor

Questor More Undestructable

Oddometer:
    H.O.W. in indeed an epic ride.

The occasional storm just makes the ride even more dramatic.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Q~
    byways likes this.
  18. CaseyB

CaseyB Adventually

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the kind words, but honestly my report is random ramblings.

If you haven't done so yet and really would help anyone reading this that is interested in the route. Read Dockingpilots RR. That's what got me sucked in and day dreaming about the possibility of my own trip. Very descriptive and a ton of insight to the history of the areas that the HOTW goes through.

And of course the LC8 report, as well as the Flatlanders report are good reads and will give you a ton more info.

More importantly than all of that. Schedule a conversation with Tony on the phone to discuss, I feel like calling him right now just writing this. Guy just has a great attitude.
  19. error cooled

error cooled anything but asphalt

Oddometer:
    PM sent - interested in the HOTW route..
  20. DYNOBOB

DYNOBOB lucky dog Supporter

Oddometer:
    I too was sucked in by DockingPilot's RR 3 yrs ago and have had it on my mind ever since. I've read everyone's RRs since (thanks All for taking the time!).

Here's my question for those who have done this trip. In retrospect would you have shortened the route to reduce the daily mileage requirements? 250 miles/day for 12 days seems like it could end up feeling like a forced march. We've done Silverton/Moab for two weeks in Sept the last two years and only cover 50-140 miles daily on that trip. I realize these are wide open spaces and average speed is much higher than riding the passes. However a few of the RRs sound like days pushed beyond the point of enjoyment (Questor?). I think I want to do this next Sept and will use Tony's service for planning/customizing the details.

Thanks for any input!