Keep the KTM 690 or get KTM 990 or 1190

Discussion in 'Hard. Core. (1090/1190/1290)' started by rockitman4x4, Jan 12, 2014.

1. Katoom72

Katoom72 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I once had your problem....

:D

But to be honest, 950/990 > 690
  2. Jimkatoom

Jimkatoom Not a nOOb

Oddometer:
    Central coast, Peeps Republic of California
    My 2 cents: sounds from your location and riding style/intentions that a bigger twin would be more appropriate. So then, 990 or 1190?
    Well I still have a 950S (4 sale) and recently got an 1190 and I prefer the 1190.
    Why? Well, I know the 990 has a good bit more suds than my 950, but for me (I'm 58, and don't do that much tight single-track, either) the 1190 has this going for it-
    Better fuel range-pretty well-documented
    Better turning radius
    Larger capacity tank ( see range above:-) )
    Better comfort with an adjustable windscreen
    Way better seat. Yes you can change seats with more $...
    For me- a lighter more nimble feeling bike, despite clocking in as slightly heavier
    Lower seat height-easier to reach the ground-I'm 6' tall-it's a reach
    And finally, again just my opinion-a far more refined feeling bike, with improved engine, power, torque and most importantly- improved drive-ability. Far smoother throttle response... Out of the box.
    Newer design. This may be heresy to many inmates here, but I LIKE the looks of the new bike, and it's an improvement in almost every way over the 990 unless you're a bonafide Rally Racer.

Touratech did a very nice little YouTube video comparing the 990/1190. Check it out, take both out for a test ride, then decide.
    Nothing wrong with your 690- just not the best choice today to go to Alaska...
    Cheers, and good luck!
    Hey, they're both KTMs-you can't lose:rofl
    Jim
  3. nordicbiker

nordicbiker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Depends on what kind of road / trails you are riding. Today from my point of view for adventure riding lighter is always better.

Replaced my 990 1.5 years ago with 690 (which is now prepped with Rallyraid tanks and some other goodies to make it suitable for longer trips) and never regretted it.

I really missed my light 690 last summer in Canada, when I gave up my plans of a solo ride on the Transcanada Adventure trail, not only for safety reasons (not a good idea to do it solo) but also because of the weight of the KLR 650, which I used for the trip.

Lighter is better!
  4. brianpc

brianpc Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I also vote both. The 690 is great as a do it all dirtbike / dualsport, while the 990/1190 would be a dual sport / long distance tourer.. :)
    Love the 690, it's such a great do-it-all bike. I only half-regret selling mine - I will buy another one someday :)
  5. jslyter

jslyter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'd much rather take a 990/1190 on an Alaska trip, but I guess you have to ask yourself what would be best after that. The lighter bike for riding NV and Utah may be better which means in the fall you may be asking the same question in reverse. I can't really tell from your post if you are no longer interested in the trail stuff at all, or if you still do enough of it to get the benefits of the 690 since you say it is "great off road".

Good luck though. None of your choices suck.
  6. rockitman4x4

rockitman4x4 ol retread

Oddometer:
    I want to thank all of you for your input. So here is what I came up with, I'm keeping the 690. And on Saturday I'm picking up a new 2013 990 Baja. :rofl The 1190 r my dealer won't have in, in time for me fix up for my trip and I just don't like the looks of the exhaust system on it anyway. Thanks again. :clap
  7. youngblood

youngblood Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good to hear you've done the right thing!

My next bike is a 690 no doubt. Need something for the days I want to hit the single track with my other group of riding buddies.
  8. Wonway

Wonway KTM Fanboi #2

Oddometer:
    Congrats! I think that is a great decision. I'm glad you decided to keep the 690.

The great thing I found with my 690 is that you will be able to get good money out of it at any time. I did well on mine and am still kicking myself for selling it. :puke1
  9. Deviant666

Deviant666 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Put an oberon slave cylinder, radial master, sidestand relocator, and enjoy your bulletproof bike....(a better skid plate is a plus)....
  10. fast4d

fast4d Long timer

Oddometer:
    I say stick with your 690 if you are satisfied with the suspension and comfort.

unless you need the power a lighter bike is easier to ride
  11. SpeedyR

SpeedyR SE in the SE

Oddometer:
    I'm sure I'll get flak over this but IMHO the only place the 690 beats out my 950 is when it's time to pick it up out if the mud the third or fourth time.

But yes having both is just icing on the cake. I looked hard at them and rode two friends bikes but got the Super Enduro as it did more of what I wanted it to do including lots of singletrack.
  12. bluedog52

bluedog52 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Go ride them both first . Or keep it and buy the 1190 :ear