1999 640 Adventuer Questions

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by stickit, Feb 4, 2013.

1. stickit

stickit Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just bought a 1999 model , have a few questions that might seem dumb but need to get solved . 1 ,Do they only start in neutral ? Mine only does it has a center and side stand , but can't see any censes to stop it from starting in gear when the stands down . 2 Are they always hard to start ie , one time starts with choke and stalls as soon as you throttle it off ; then wont start with choke and have to give it throttle to make it run . I did have to shorten up the right hand side fuel line as it was leaking like a sieve. This bike has done 25000ks and from all perspectives it looks in show room condition . Cheers for the help I have ridden her once up the dirt and loved every minute , but can see all the talk on the vib !! I have done a heap of research and been finding it hard to find the right answers for my prob's . Cheers
  2. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    There is a starter relay switch that ties in with the clutch lever so you can't start the bike in gear without the clutch pulled in... This is a safety feature and it sounds like yours is not working... You can either bypass it by joining the 2 wires together, try cleaning the contacts or replace it...
  3. stickit

stickit Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Could you post some pic's so I can fig out where it is . Cheers
  4. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    I'm used to the later hydraulic clutch models, but yours is probably in a similar location... Just follow 2 wires with a connector that plug into the clutch lever perch... This connector has a tiny spring loaded switch that moves when the clutch lever is pulled...
  5. bisbonian

bisbonian Long timer

Oddometer:
    My '99 has some sort of electrical switch mounted on the clutch side I believe, haven't paid it much attention as it hasn't caused me any problems.

The stalling may have something to do with the carb settings. I found that the idle mixture really made a difference and ended up buying a mixture screw from Loaded at Stenhouse Racing. It might not be the worst idea to take the carb apart to inspect and clean, mine was very worn and needed a bunch of parts replaced when I first bought it.

I replaced most of the fuel hoses on mine. I didn't mess with the molded hoses but anything that could be replaced with straight hose from the parts store got changed out.
  6. stickit

stickit Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have figed maybe the prob ; same as your bike traced those wires and they connect to nothing . I have 2 male connectors sitting near it doing nothing . But when I connect the one with a heap of wires it blows the fuse . The other one is connected by one brown wire and the other is broken . Could you have a look and source what yours connects to and maybe I can fig my prob out . Please .
  7. stickit

stickit Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I forgot to mention my fuel lines must have already been replaced as none of them are molded to a shape . They sprang a leak the other day from the right hand tank and have it on the list to replace them . Did they come with molded hoses people ??
  8. DaddyBigDaddy

DaddyBigDaddy AKA -Evel Kneilson

Oddometer:
    Liberal ShitHole, San Fran-sissyco, Kalee-Fornee-a
    It is just in front of the counter shaft sprocket, there is a kickstand switch too. If the kick stand is down it won't start
  9. bisbonian

bisbonian Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have no kickstand switches on my '99.
  10. stickit

stickit Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Kick start stand ?? Mine has a side stand as well as a center sand . The bloke I bought it off said he only ever used the kick start once and said take off the side stand to kick her over , but get it right or she well send you over the bars !!
  11. stickit

stickit Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thought I would do this as a seperate post . I I found the prob .. Pulled the front farring off stuck my noggin in and connected wires together ; HAY PRESSTO !! Prob now is I saw other wire connectors ( three pron male )with no friend in sight . What you think ??
  12. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    There are some connectors under that dash that are not used....
  13. stickit

stickit Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So I was replacing the fuel lines this arvo and found a electrical connector comming of the carbie throttle . I can't see any other connectors to attach it to . Ideas boys
  14. Ol'Muley

Ol'Muley old, not dead

Oddometer:
    Carb has proly been replaced it sounds like a later tps connector check bst bible
  15. stickit

stickit Adventurer

Oddometer:
    TPS ?? Makes me wonder why replace , as carbies are far as I now reliable to the death, just keep it clean and jetted I have been having a heap of trouble with the trip and speedo ; can;t get it to find -1 on the trip diameter . It won't run thru the number + or - . , this makes the speedo go off the scales for speed . This is not the last of my questions !!
  16. wrk2surf

wrk2surf on the gas or brakes

Oddometer:
    THE exact center of California/Bass lake/Yosemite
    battery needs replacing more than likely on the speedo
  17. bmwktmbill

bmwktmbill Traveler

Oddometer:
    Stickit,
    Carbs need to be rebuilt either because to prolonged use or old age...yours is senile.

http://www.google.com/search?source...ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4GGLS_en-GBUS494US495&q=senile

bill
  18. stickit

stickit Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Done it twice ! First time went go for 48hrs riding then turned it on and had to reset but it won't show the -1 wheel diameter so went all wonky again . New battery again and same thing . New bat again and kept hitting the scroll button and it finally came up , have not had a chance to test it on the road yet . Someone said it might have to be sent away and be reprogrammed ; no idea .
  19. bisbonian

bisbonian Long timer

Oddometer:
    My IMO unit was scrap.

I know there are plenty out there who had their IMO fail from this era.

I replaced it with a Trail Tech Vector.

[​IMG]

This has worked well for me for almost two years now.
  20. biensur22

biensur22 litigious poster

Oddometer:
    I had this same issue when i bought my '98. Your tripmaster battery is going bad. It is located deep within the tripmaster unit, and needs to be replaced. It's coated in several layers of hot glue and spot-welded to the terminals. Open her up to find the proper battery # and purchase a replacement. They're $5US.

As for the circumference adjustment, you must hit the down arrow many times. It will cycle through several times with erratic numbers and eventually display a declining sequence in numerical order. But you have to press the down arrow nearly 100 times. PM me if you have other questions. I may be able to find photos. Very easy fix.