Rally Raid Engineering - Carbon/Kevlar Fairings, Guards & Bashplates

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by michael1968, Mar 6, 2013.

1. michael1968

michael1968 Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

UPDATE: We have just implemented a new store on our website that should hopefully make things easier to find and order. The postage is now automatically calculated.

Please let me know if you run accross any issues.

http://www.rallyraideng.com/store.html

Cheers
    Michael

Hi all,

I've been getting a bit of interest on my website (mostly from advriders) about the Carbon/Kevlar Tank Guards I've been developing for the KTM 640 Adventure, I thought it was about time I started a thread in the vendors section to keep you all updated.

First a little background; I've been messing around with composites for quite a few years, I'd made a few parts for my bike (heavily modified 97 F650 Funduro) and figured that maybe someone else might want them also. So I started a small (very small) business making composite parts for motorcycles called Rally Raid Engineering, for more info you can check out my website;

www.rallyraideng.com

So onto the tank guards, last year another inmate asked me to make a set of kevlar tank guards for his 2002 640 Adventure. He wanted quite a bit more coverage than the others I've seen. From that tank I took a mould and formed the plugs for the new guards.

The Guards are 2 layers of Carbon Fibre and two of Kevlar. Like all Rally Raid Engineering parts these will be made with an epoxy matrix and vacuum bagged.

If you have any questions about the tank guards or any other of my parts please ask them here or contact me via my website.

Cheers,
    Michael

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update:

The Guards are now ready, please PM or contact me via my website if you would like a set. I will send you an invoice via PayPal when they are ready to ship.

You can now also order all of my products directly from my website here;

http://rallyraid.weebly.com/ktm-640-adventure-products.html

I will try to keep a few sets in stock but the longest you will have to wait before shipment is 1 week.

The price is 169 AUD plus postage. There is an option of a Petcock Guard which you can see in some of the pictures below, it is 23.50 AUD and will be attached to the Guards if they are ordered together.

Some example postage costs (in AUD, via airmail, with tracking) are;

US (mainland) & Canada $35.90
    Most of Europe & UK $45.05

Australia;
    Sydney $13.80
    Melbourne $16.70
    Adelaide $17.20
    Perth $19.85

Attaching the Guards:
    Depending on how permanently you want to attach them you can either use strong double sided tape or a polyurethane based adhesive like Sikaflex 227 or similar. You can run the tape or a bead of adhesive around the perimeter of the guards and a cross through the centre.

The finished Guards;
    [​IMG]

With Petcock Guard;
    [​IMG]
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi all,

I'm pleased to announce that Rally Raid Engineering are now making Carbon/Kevlar Frame Guards for the KTM 640.

The price is 85.50 AUD per set.

If you order a set of Tank Guards there will be no additional postage for the Frame Guards.

If you want them by themselves the postage will be (in AUD);

US (mainland) & Canada $20.70
    Most of Europe & UK $24.70
    Australia $7.95

[​IMG]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Our LC4 Case Guards are finally ready! The price is 99 AUD plus shipping, the shipping is the same as the Frame Guards.

They can be stuck on in a similar way to the Tank Guards.

Some pics;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. Droptarotter

Droptarotter Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep, I'm still interested as per my earlier email. There just might be 2 of us interested in western Canada.

A preference for me would be to NOT have the left side guard protect the petcock as I have removed that petcock and the extra lower protection will interfere with the access to the tool pod on the Rock Hard Rally Gear skid plate.

Anyone else in the area interested? Maybe we can cut down on shipping costs if we grab a bunch of them.

Cheers
  3. Ol'Muley

Ol'Muley old, not dead

Oddometer:
    I've got a '98 will these guards fit? Definitely interested:clap
  4. michael1968

michael1968 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey mate, I'm happy to combine shipping. I'm thinking of making petcock protection an option, the guards don't have any at this stage.

You've been added to the list.

I'm really not sure, I think there is some difference in the earlier tanks, the moulds for these were taken of a 2002 model.
    Maybe someone with a bit more knowledge of 640 tanks can chime in.

Cheers,
    Michael
  5. Droptarotter

Droptarotter Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think the main change was the locking gas cap on the 04-07 models.........or 05 in the US......I'm not 100% sure on this??

Cheers
  6. explodingmouse

explodingmouse Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think the other change was the move from a 28 litre tank in models up to and including 2003 to 25 litre from 2004 onwards.
  7. explodingmouse

explodingmouse Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Im interested whenever your ready.
  8. michael1968

michael1968 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey all,

I just layer the final layer of fibreglass on the moulds, tomorrow I'll trim them. If all goes well I'll be laying up the prototype over the weekend.

Cheers,

Michael
  9. michael1968

michael1968 Long timer

Oddometer:
    No worries mate, I'll add you to the list.
  10. R80gs/pd

R80gs/pd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You can put my down for one set. 2002 640 ADV. you have a PM
    thanks
  11. swinterc

swinterc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey there,
    Well I think I emailed you a while back about tank guards. Don't forget about me I'm still interested.
  12. Ol'Muley

Ol'Muley old, not dead

Oddometer:
    Any updates?:ear
  13. michael1968

michael1968 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, I've made the moulds but I wont be able to do any more work on them till after the 14th of April, I'm racing in the Condo 750 rally (advrider thread here) and have been flat out preping my bike for that.

Cheers,

Michael
  14. jrozar

jrozar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hopefully these will come to market soon, I've been looking for a set for almost a year.
  15. Jaws285

Jaws285 n00b

Oddometer:
    Oh oh! Please put me in for a set for my 2000 adventure.
    I will PM
  16. michael1968

michael1968 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi all,

I will get back onto these next week, I'll post pics here and on my website when the prototype is ready.

Cheers,

Michael
  17. jrozar

jrozar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My bike is a 2006, will they still fit?
  18. michael1968

michael1968 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I believe so, the moulds were taken from a 2002 model but I believe the outer shape of the tank didn't change.

Cheers,
    Michael
  19. michael1968

michael1968 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi all,

I'm back to working on the guards now, one of the moulds will be ready tomorrow, the other will follow in the next few days.

Cheers,
    Michael
  20. ericGSsti

ericGSsti Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thinking of keeping my 640 adv and if I do would be interested in these. Get pics up of the finished product when you can.

Thanks,

Eric,