F800GS - RXV Shiver'ed Fork Conversion

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by Gangplank, Jul 25, 2010.

1. B-B

B-B out of my lane

Oddometer:
    So if I read that right, its the total stroke of the piston being affected only but not ride height? I saw you had your forks mounted higher initially to compensate for the increased travel which is why I ask.
  2. Gangplank

Gangplank Advenchaintourer

Oddometer:
    it sort of depends on what you want. Keep in mind you are reusing the stock BMW fork tubes. If you want more travel you can just use the donor internals. BUT if you do that you will want a shock for the rear to match the longer travel most likely.

I chose to have my suspension guy add the spacer so that my forks stay at stock length travel. They are mounted exactly like I had them before the change with the tubes poking through the tripple clamp to the first line or hash mark.
  3. -W-

-W- Flying Finn

Oddometer:
    Of course the ride height will be increased also if you don't move the forks in the triples.

My forks were originally mounted higher for a short while to compensate the increased travel until I got the custom rear shock. Now they are at their original place (and I also got 250mm of rear wheel travel).
  4. FinStorm

FinStorm Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a F8GS with one damaged upper forktube, and I want to get it upgraded and fixed in the same hit. Does the longer upper tubes exist on any other bike than f8gs? Does the 57 mm lower clamp exist on any other bike? How much longer is the bmw upper tube than the dirtbike version? Maybe it would be possible to take for example a Husqvarna fork that is 30 mm longer than bmw:s, and shorten it with a 30 mm distance at the piston end and I will get the overlap between the tubes increased. If nessesary I could limit the travel by a distance in the upper end of the piston rod too. Are the lower tubes different length too? Is there any other reason you prefer RXV forks than the hydraulic stopper and the lower springplate?

What do you think about this product http://www.wunderlich.de/shopart/8601302-1-1654/Shop/Teilepool/8/Gabelbrueckenset-TriQ-F-800-GS.htm? Is there a reason to spend money on that? I am curious because my upper triple is broken and a new one cost as half the wunderlich triples.
  5. Gaspare

Gaspare Almost dirt rider

Oddometer:
    Following to my #133: conversion done!! :evil<?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /><v:shapetype id=_x0000_t75 stroked="f" filled="f" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" o:preferrelative="t" o:spt="75" coordsize="21600,21600"><v:stroke joinstyle="miter"></v:stroke><v:formulas><v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"></v:f></v:formulas><v:path o:connecttype="rect" gradientshapeok="t" o:extrusionok="f"></v:path><?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"></o:lock></v:shapetype><o:p></o:p>
    I played for a while with screws to fine tuning, and the result is GREAT!<o:p></o:p>
    Smooth and controlled at the same time: even dangerous off road on such a bike... toooo easy to forget its gravitational mass :norton
    Wanna let his author try the work to give him satisfaction and see if he has some corrections to carry out, but for me is already more than expected. :wings<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    For who is still looking for a donor, I want to spot out another option to add on the list: could be to look for some Scrooge McDuck, owner of HP2, who changed the inner of his forks with a TTX or some... [only - that's ridiculous on such a bike] right fork is equipped with Shiver inner, therefore could be "enough" to find a couple of McDucks to have the right material for the transplant... luck can be useful to save money.
  6. Gangplank

Oddometer:
    Ok sounds like it worked for you. :clap. Good to hear!! Not sure I understood all of the above messages, but ok!
  7. Gaspare

Oddometer:
    It works, and I feel to thank you a lot :D
    forgot to say I've saved the original stroke: 215 mm.

talking about HP2 matter?
    BMW HP2: left fork: fake; right fork: Shiver inner.
    Normally undersprung for the bike: proud owners are used to change springs and replace both inners with WP kit or Ohlins TTX, after machining the fork feet :1drink
    So, the owner usually put under the dust into the garage all the gear from BMW... well: right fork inner is suitable for our purpose.

Obviously, is necessary to find two of them, since there's only one good for recycling each kitted HP2.
  8. Gangplank

Oddometer:
    Good info.... there are prolly a few of those around.
  9. Ducksbane

Ducksbane Quaaack!!!

Oddometer:
    Does this apply to the XChallenge as well ?
  10. Gaspare

Oddometer:
    I don't really know.
    Surely you are talking about the inner difference between right and left fork... in order to help you to find an answer it's necessary to add an information:
    The HP2 right fork (Shiver inner) has the compression damping reg on the bottom, and rebound on top (print "R" on the cap).
    The HP2 left one (fake), instead, has compression un top (print "C" on the cap) and no rebound damping reg (and function as well).

Therefore the print of [BMW] shame is "C" :pissed
  11. Gangplank

Oddometer:
    I think I'm understanding what you write... but we need to get you a better translation program. :rofl

Are you using http://www.babblefish.com/ or http://translate.google.com/# ??
  12. Gaspare

Oddometer:
    Doh! ..usually I&#8217;m clear enough; maybe I was only too short in my posts &#8211; otherwise could be nicer of you to help by PM in order to improve my [poors] communication skills.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    Other option is to write in Italian, then everybody can use his favourite translation program &#8211; but I guess could be better appreciate some more respect for the community, as the community should appreciate guest&#8217;s effort to knock at the door in English&#8230; :beer<o:p></o:p>
  13. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice....and I can write in Danish....... Don`t they teach you English in Italy??? We started in 5`th grade in Denmark....Just curious.....:thumb:thumb

Erling
  14. Gaspare

Oddometer:
    Hey, Erling.

Don't you think I said so to make somebody understand to be less harsh saying "welcome"?
    Maybe you can think I'm stupid (?!), but surely not enough to change a pleasant place as this forum in a screaming square, floating on misunderstandings or provocaltions as your one.

Good manners said me to say thanks to Gangplank because of his contribution: he's surely a nice guy since does helps everybody down here, and I frankly believe he deserve & appreciated this - as he surely got the message That's all.

I'm going to talk about forks on this thread, if you don't mind - and nothing else, despite my doubt about the purpose of your umpolite and aggressive reply.

Giuseppe
  15. Gangplank

Oddometer:
    Hi Gaspare,
    Sorry I hope I didn't offend you. I was making a bit of a joke. You do fine and your contribution is very much appreciated here. I am sure by me and others as well :D

So back to suspension... I know a few guys have done the mod. How's the riding?

Now that I've upped the rebound on my forks two more turns I've noticed much more even wear on my tires. BTW that is the sign of well tuned suspension = even tire wear side to side and less or no cupping = no leading edges or following edges of the tread blocks wearing strangely.
  16. Gaspare

Oddometer:
    It&#8217;s OK, really.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    I do love jokes too, but it&#8217;s necessary to trust and respect &#8211; first.
    Play with friends is different rather than play with people, isn&#8217;t it?<o:p></o:p>
    Circumstances as this one are delicate, yes, and useful to change the point of view and open to friendship.<o:p></o:p>
    At this point I&#8217;m sorry because we live in different continents, and could be difficult to meet&#8230;<o:p></o:p>

Anyhow, about tires you just said a general law that actually could be rock carved &#8211; but the wear is too much influenced by riding style, nonetheless the same suspension setup is not applicable to all of the styles.
    A real mess.<o:p></o:p>
    About my specific case, I can&#8217;t say just nothing because of the tires.<o:p></o:p>
    With TKCs the highness of the tread blocks drives them to be warped by the torque while cornering, so &#8211; the strange &#8220;side-licked&#8221; shape of wear is even a good sign, since I&#8217;m pushing more because of improved confidence into bike stability.<o:p></o:p>
    I&#8217;m from Bitubo forks kit, now sold to a GS road-rider, so I can really compare the two different configurations.<o:p></o:p>
    I&#8217;m 73 kg, with a linear and round riding style; the Bitubo spring was good on tarmac, but off-road was too hard for my tastes. In spite of this, I was bottoming too often because of unfit valving progression.<o:p></o:p>
    Hydraulics was acceptable on the road, but surely not even thinkable to make it stronger because of off-road use. Maybe it&#8217;s possible to modify the cartridges, too &#8211; but was frustrating to me to think about a sealed & miniaturized solution soooo stressed when off-road: how many services during the year?<o:p></o:p>
    Moreover, the preload adj is quite useless to me: it gets some sense when there&#8217;s an oversize &#8220;front side&#8221; fuel tank &#8211; but once found a good compromise, it&#8217;s comfy to forget the adjustment.<o:p></o:p>
    When there&#8217;s the passenger, the pace slows down, so&#8230;<o:p></o:p>
    Let&#8217;s Shiver the forks!<o:p></o:p>
    Öhlins springs kit is perfectly balanced; I&#8217;ve Öhlins shock, too, with 00698-69/170 - L 218 spring.<o:p></o:p>
    As already said, I&#8217;ve chosen to stay at 215 mm of travel not to make the front wheel too light.<o:p></o:p>
    Just in case, it's not possible for me to balance rising the rear: I&#8217;ve already the BMW Rally seat (920 mm to ground), and I do prefer to see the landscape below clouds&#8230;<o:p></o:p>
    I&#8217;ve the big-big luck to have close to home the workshop where one of the two partners (Cristian Rossi) is the Team Manager of ISDE Italian Trophy team (he was a ISDE Silver Vase rider, too): he&#8217;s the suspension expert in the workshop.<o:p></o:p>
    He set the hydraulics that I&#8217;m actually testing, and I&#8217;ve to say he got the target.<o:p></o:p>
    So far I&#8217;ve only increased the compression, and the bike handles great: magic carpet ride, with right and finally controlled bottoming, too
    I&#8217;ve found more behaviour difference from Bitubo to This mod, rather than OEM to Bitubo!<o:p></o:p>
    Now it&#8217;s more sensitive to adjustment at the rear, too, where is necessary to have a 70 mm race sag (static 35 mm); with this setup the bike shows its limit only over 180 Km/h where (with an off-road hydraulics setup at the back) is not sharp any more at the handlebar. <o:p></o:p>
    C&#8217;mon: who&#8217;s riding at that speed with a GS?! :huh Fine like this.<o:p></o:p>
    Now I&#8217;m waiting for Cristian, because of his capacity of real fine tuning on-the-bike: I&#8217;m curious about developments; can&#8217;t imagine to have some more improvement&#8230; true the weight helps the suspension to work better, but so far I&#8217;ve found something better only with revalved cartridge Showas.
    Once more: thanks for the idea, Gangplank! :thumb<o:p></o:p>
  17. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well...perhaps..... But you see I just wanted to float it back at you..... But as you clearly can see here.... that online forums is a trap where sarcasm.....irony....and other fun relations are extremely hard to gauge.... Since one cannot see another. What you saw here is just that.... This " very well respected forum" have many great members that use the aforementioned language, to joke and kid around....... That`s is what I saw...... Perhaps some of that was lost in your translation to Italian.... ( not joking here, but merely pitching an idea) That said ....perhaps I may recommend that you not get so upset....loosen up a bit..... that way you will enjoy the forum a whole lot more...... Not mistaking other peoples remarks as a personal attack on you.......which they are not.....and ummmm..... welcome to the PU.....( parallel universe....:freaky
    :thumb:thumb

Erling
  18. Gaspare

Oddometer:
    Hi, Erling

Glad to see this one like a real whole of universe&#8230; You see, too often we Italians are target of jokes and critics.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    This because of an arguable international image, especially due to some (Let me say, few) arguables fellows countrymen.<o:p></o:p>
    You can understand me it&#8217;s very easy to react as I&#8217;ve done when there&#8217;s the feeling to become a public shooting target about this subject.
    Usually I&#8217;m not touchy, and seen the spirit down here, I believe It&#8217;s my turn to say sorry of the dust cloud I rised up :shog
    bye, Giuseppe :beer

<o:p>PS - generally we're not that good in languages because of early riding motorcycles instead of going school :augie :smile6</o:p>
  19. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    I understand..... I am sure the stories get`s "old" after a while..... Speaking of Italian... I`m off to my Andrea premium for a doublo Espresso..... You guys sure know how to make great espresso machines..... Ciao.....:thumb:thumb

Erling
  20. Gangplank

Oddometer:
    Glad to hear that the Shiver'd conversion is working well for you. Thanks for the info on the HP and other BMW bikes. I thought they had the Marzocchi Shiver forks but wasn't sure if they were the inexpensive version like the F800 has or the better real valved version like the Aprilia RXV that I used.